GE Plug-In Smart Switch - Need a Repeater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GE Plug-In Smart Switch - Need a Repeater

I bought a GE Plug-In Smart Switch at Lowes yesterday in hopes that it will become a transfer point for my z-wave network, in order to extend the range for my HS-DS100+ Door/Window sensors. It was acquired via the Z-Tools+ app, but it doesn't act as a repeater. I had thought that all AC powered z-wave devices become repeaters. Is it possible to get this device setup to become a repeater?

Not sure why the link above doesn't reach the PDF file.
    https://byjasco.com/sites/default/fi...FrSp%20QSG.pdf

Comment

Go to:
      Plugins -> Z-wave -> Node Info

Check to see if the devices says it's routing and what does the "Last working route" say?
      Then click on the device name and the Zwave Tab and then "Audit this Node" How many neighbors does it have?

If it's routing and either the last route is the controller or a device that's connected to a controller (it should list them) you should be set. Try to do a Full Optimize on that device and recheck the items above if not.

Z

Comment

Silly question, but did you get the GE Lowe's plug that is actually ZWave? I think some of them are Zigbee only (could be wrong though).

I have a couple of the GE plugs, and they seem to work great relaying ZWave signals. Nothing special done to them. Have you tried network heals and such?

Comment

I fully optimized and then ran the audit on the Smart Switch (Node 5).The Node 6 is the HMS200 unit in the office next door.

Auditing node 5 (Node 5 Z-Wave Sigma Switch) ...

HomeSeer was able to send a frame to the node.
          HomeSeer was able to query the node and receive information back from it.
          The node's neighbor rating is: Poor with 1 neighbor.
          Neighboring nodes to Node 5 Z-Wave Sigma Switch:
          Node 6 Z-Wave HomeSeer Notification Sensor (Node 6)
          This node supports associations on the following groups:
          Group 1:
          HomeSeer (Node 1)
          Group 2 - No nodes are associated to this group.
          Group 3 - No nodes are associated to this group.

Finished!

Placing the door sensors near this device don't seem to help extend the network. I have the Z-Seer+ evaluation running (with its limit of 5 nodes) but using that software never seems to allow the battery devices to connect through the AC smart switch or the HSM200 unit. I would really like to build a z-wave network but because the PC is in a corner of the home, I need repeaters somehow.

Comment

Originally posted by aa6vh View Post
            Silly question, but did you get the GE Lowe's plug that is actually ZWave? I think some of them are Zigbee only (could be wrong though).

I have a couple of the GE plugs, and they seem to work great relaying ZWave signals. Nothing special done to them. Have you tried network heals and such?
            Yes, aa, thanks for the reply. It is the z-wave model.

Oddly, I started the HomeSeer project in the hopes that my Blue Iris outdoor PTZ camera would zoom to a preset to the walk-in gate whenever it is opened. I placed the initial door sensor on the gate, but was disappointed that it always showed 'Open' when it was closed, and thought the device was too far away from the PC to be managed. Just now I was moving around a spare door sensor, and it works well anywhere within the home, and then took it outside to test, and while it worked okay half way to the gate, it wouldn't work at the gate. Then I noticed that the gate sensor previously installed now showed a 'Closed' condition. Opening the gate changes the status to 'Open' and closing it changes it to 'Closed'. Not sure why it started working unless it is because of the new AC units in the home; and not sure why the spare sensor fails to work at the same distance.

Comment

Originally posted by DLONG2 View Post
              I would really like to build a z-wave network but because the PC is in a corner of the home, I need repeaters somehow.
              Off-topic from the original post, but you could also use a Z-net controller and put it more central in the house.
              -Wade

Comment

Have you tried optimizing the battery powered devices while waking them up?
                HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
                Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

To wake up the HS-DS100+ door sensors, would I just open up the unit and press the z-wave button? I now tried that after placing one near the HSM200 unit, but the device still cannot be communicated with. Do I need to bring both units near the PC to optimize them?

I just now purchased a license for the Z-Seer+ software, and besides now showing all the nodes, it shows a route from the HSM200 to the GE Smart Switch, and then to the SmartStick. The door sensor I had placed near the HSM200 can't be communicated with, and shows red in the Z-Seer+ window. (Update: The red box went away when I brought the sensor close to the PC and re-optimized a few times.)

Comment

I would try close to the PC first so you can confirm the wake-up step. I don’t have one so can’t check the process and the manual is not clear on it. You may have to hold the button down for a few seconds. Once you can communicate with it, try moving it further away and then optimize again.

Comment

To clarify, the battery door sensors work, and connect directly to the SmartStick. I am assuming these units can be routed through AC devices somehow for better speed?

Comment

By pressing and holding the z-wave button, I can test the connectivity and optimize the node. When I look at the default settings on these door sensors, they show a wake-up interval of "-1 seconds". I was able to change one sensor to 1 second by setting and clicking done, but at some point it goes back to -1 seconds. Optimizing this node will be impossible by using the PC, as I am guessing once it is placed far away and needs to be optimized, I can't run to the PC fast enough to effect an optimization if the node goes to sleep so quickly.

Comment

The wake up interval is the amount of time between automatic wakeups of the device, not how long it stays awake when you manually wake it up. You definitely don’t want to set it to 1 second. Something like 4 to 8 hours is typically recommended. I would place the device where it needs to go and then optimize using a browser on a phone or tablet. That way you can stay by the device and keep it awake longer if needed by pressing the wakeup button every few seconds.

Comment

Thanks sparkman. I remembered the find.homeseer.com, and used a tablet to change the settings. Unfortunately, I had pressed and held the button too long and it removed the device, and I had to re-add it. Just now changed the interval to 4 hours from your suggestion.

Comment

At home I have the Phillips Hue lights, but not all sockets are filled with these bulbs, as I have many lamps using only regular LEDs. Are there any z-wave light bulbs which act as repeaters? This might be the easiest route to build the z-wave network. HomeSeer sells z-wave bulbs, but it is unclear whether they need z-wave dimmers in order to work. Any recommendations?

Comment

Working...
                              X