How to Start New

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to Start New

My Z-Wave network is all messed up. I spent too much time fixing this and that and then something new pops up. At this point I think it's just best to start from a clean sheet. Having said that, I have some 50+ devices and MANY events. Is there something I should be aware of so I don't waste more time then I already will be by starting from scratch.

I'm not sure I understand your question. Are you asking if starting over is a waste of time?
    -Rupp
    sigpic

Comment

No, that is not what I meant. So when I delete the entire interface I need to add all new-wave devices again. Because they will have a new ID I assume the events will not know anymore which device status they need to track (trigger) and which devices they need to control. So I will have to update all events. Or is there some way to avoid this? Also besides the events is there something else that will break after I delete the interface? Probably devices controlled from HSTouch and any scripts that use device IDs. Anything else?

Comment

[QUOTE=mulu;n1296380]No, that is not what I meant. So when I delete the entire interface I need to add all new-wave devices again. Because they will have a new ID I assume the events will not know anymore which device status they need to track (trigger) and which devices they need to control. So I will have to update all events. Or is there some way to avoid this? Also besides the events is there something else that will break after I delete the interface? Probably devices controlled from HSTouch and any scripts that use device IDs. Anything else?[/QUOTE

I think you are answering most of your questions especially regarding device IDs. Everything is based on them plus you have to reset all the devices in the controller! (In other words they are given new IDs)

Tip : Try to delete one at a time (Or for drastic measures you could attack their data base How you do that?, You may need help from the pros like rprade or Pete )
        ​​​​​​​

Eman.
        TinkerLand : Life's Choices,"No One Size Fits All"

Comment

Originally posted by mulu View Post
          My Z-Wave network is all messed up. I spent too much time fixing this and that and then something new pops up. At this point I think it's just best to start from a clean sheet. Having said that, I have some 50+ devices and MANY events. Is there something I should be aware of so I don't waste more time then I already will be by starting from scratch.
          I'm probably not the best person to answer this but I'll give my 2 cents. My thinking is if you are going to reset the SmarStick to factory and you don't exclude all your devices first then I would think you would need to do a factory reset on each device or from the controller do a exclude then include. As for all your scripts and events, all of them refering to a device will need to be updated with the new device ID. If I remember right if you exclude a device it is removed from the event but I could be wrong. Another thing, if you reset the Smartstick and all your device are still in HS3 what problems will that cause if any? Maybe you will just need to delete them all. How may Events do you have? If you don't have to many maybe its best just to redo everything from scratch. I think there is a few different ways to do it. Each with it's Pro and Cons.

Jim

Comment

Jim, thanks for the input. I did got ahead and factory reset the z-wave stick by going to the menu Plug-ins->Z-Wave->Control Management and select the Z-Wave Interface, select ERASE this Interface and Create a New Network. It takes about 30 seconds or so. After that I did go into device management and deleted all devices that had an address of the format [xxxxxxxx]-[yyy] where [xxxxxxxx] is the Home ID and [yyy] is the node number. You can display the device address by going to Setup->Custom->Web Site Settings->How Device Address/Code... Then I used an AOENLabs remote control to exclude all of my z-wave switches. Today I used my phone with the Z-Tool+ app to include all my switches again. I started with switches that are closest to the z-wave stick in hopes that this will generate the best routing. Initially I also had some issues getting the Z-Tool+ app working as the add/remove buttons were grayed out. Only after completely disabling the firewall it worked. I didn't have to do this in the past so something has changed. Anyways, once I was done I re-enabled the firewall.

As for the events, you are right that for instance actions are still there but the device name disappeared unless you have a matching node ID. But that matching node ID is very likely not the original ID so you would control the wrong device. So really you only know the original steps but not the original devices, meaning you know how many steps you have to reprogram but you have to figure out which devices are involved.

As for the number of events, I really don't know. I have 50+ switches (fans and lights) not counting shades, power outlets, etc. And I have even more events controlling all of that. Not to mention my HSTouch screens and scripts that depend on the IDs. It probably will take me at least another week to get everything back up.

It's actually amazing how much one starts to depend on home automation. You open the pantry door and the light doesn't come on. You close the door and the light doesn't go off. That's a very simple example but one that makes life a tiny bit easier... unless you have to deal with a misbehaving z-wave network.........

Comment

Originally posted by mulu View Post
              It's actually amazing how much one starts to depend on home automation. You open the pantry door and the light doesn't come on. You close the door and the light doesn't go off. That's a very simple example but one that makes life a tiny bit easier... unless you have to deal with a misbehaving z-wave network.........
              I know what you mean. I have a Z-wave switch for my closet and I put a door sensor on the closet door so when you open the door the light comes on and shut's off when you close the door. The patio light switch is behind a computer desk making a pain to turn the light on so I got a battery powered switch(zigbee) and stuck it to the doggie door. 1 push the lights on 2 pushes the light turns off. For some reason last week HS3 shut down and did not restart. That's when we noticed we were spoiled when HS3 is running. I rebooted and we were back up. Of course we can always tell Alexa to do all that also. All this stuff is addictive. Seems like I'm always thinking of something else to automate.

Jim

Comment

Working...
              X