• Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 Devices Out of Range

My setup includes the following:

Z-TOOLS+
    HomeSeer SmartStick+
    HS3 Pro running on my Server 2016 essentials setup

Procedurally I removed each device prior to inclusion. No errors occurred during the device removal.

I have two devices that are including with errors:

First I have 2 Honeywell YTH8320ZW1007/U Z-Wave thermostats but one keeps giving me an error every time I include it. It worked fine on my two different Vera setups, reference attachment zwave_hw for the error.

After the inclusion the thermostats were included I noticed the following differences: Fan Mode and Fan State are missing from the second thermostat and the status of the second does not show on the Homeseer App.

The second device is the GARAGE DOOR OPENER, (GoControl/Linear GD00Z-4 Z-Wave Garage Door Opener Remote Controller, Small, Black) Again this device worked perfectly with two different Vera setups. I have tried adding and removing several times and I still get the same error, which results in an useless node. Reference zwave_garage for the error.

I spoke with tech support and I was disappointed that they told me that my devices were out of range but did not offer a viable solution.

So being the industrious sort I fixed the Thermostat issue by switching the face panels of my second thermostat with the nearest thermostat and re-pairing the device. It worked like a charm. However, I still have the issue of including my garage door opener. I have an idea and hopefully someone would give me some feedback.

Will this work? Install the HS3 on an laptop and pull the smartstick from my server and install it on the laptop, bring that setup to the garage door opener, pair it, and return the smartstick back to my server?

Any idea on how to solve the limited range of the zstick besides removing the garage door opener and bringing it to my server?

NOTE: I have repeaters that are strategically placed for maximum coverage but the garage door opener still will not pair.

I personally use a 50 ft powered USB cable to include all of my older devices and devices that are out of range. You're idea should work but I'd recommend backing up your Z-Wave network prior.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
      I personally use a 50 ft powered USB cable to include all of my older devices and devices that are out of range. You're idea should work but I'd recommend backing up your Z-Wave network prior.
      Cool. Thank you! 50 ft powered USB cable? Powered Extension Cable? Which brand? Model Number? I rather do that instead of using my laptop.

Comment

Will this work? I cheaper option would be better.
        https://www.amazon.com/Active-Extens...gateway&sr=8-4

Comment

I have devices all over the house... and since they are all light switches, it is going to be hard to move them close to the stick. And many are way more than 50 ft away. I tried using the recommended minimote remote control and it says that everything was added to the network successfully, but HS3 doesn't see them and neither does Z-seer+... Any other suggestions?

Comment

The Z-Net is perfect for this. If you don't want to buy it you can build one easy enough and then put one or more wherever you need it. If you set it up as it's own network not as a secondary inclusion controller then you also gain the benefit of being able to go past the 252 device limit per z-wave network.... It also makes network optimizes much faster with fewer nodes per network.

Comment

I have a z-net for the ones upstairs... but I have about 15 new switches all within about 100 ft of the main hub downstairs. Both the SmartStick and the z-net are on the same z-wave network (never going to have more than 230 devices...) So, if i bring the z-net downstairs on a long ethernet cable, can I add the node via it? And then once it meshes it will revert to the SmartStick since ultimately that is where it will mesh into ... it is only about 25 feet to the next meshed Light switch which IS connected directly to the SmartStick...

or is there a better way?

Comment

If the switches are zwave+ then they may add fine where they are. The z-net can also be connected over WiFi, so you may not need a long cord.
                HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
                Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Originally posted by ecetron View Post
                  I have a z-net for the ones upstairs... but I have about 15 new switches all within about 100 ft of the main hub downstairs. Both the SmartStick and the z-net are on the same z-wave network (never going to have more than 230 devices...) So, if i bring the z-net downstairs on a long ethernet cable, can I add the node via it? And then once it meshes it will revert to the SmartStick since ultimately that is where it will mesh into ... it is only about 25 feet to the next meshed Light switch which IS connected directly to the SmartStick...

or is there a better way?
                  So you already have a couple of devices down stairs that are connected to the SmartStick+ that is also downstairs? Run a full optimize on the switches that are down stairs and then try adding another switch. They should include fine on the network using network wide inclusion as long as there aren't more than 4 hops from device back to the SmartStick+ which also means the routes have to be good... hence the reason for the full optimize on the few individual devices that are already downstairs and working.

Comment

I tried that... at least I think I did. I have one switch that is within range of the SmartStick. It added in just fine. I have a thermostat that I added in next to the SmartStick and it uses that first switch as its neighbor on the way to the SmartStick. The first set of switches is 6 inches below the thermostat. If I choose Add from the SmartStick dropdown, and then go to the switch and tap it once (to start the NWI add process) it does absolutely nothing.

Plus I still have no idea what the minimote does as it seems to also 'add' nodes successfully (per its LEDs) but nothing sees them... very frustrating...

Comment

I tried that... at least I think I did. I have one switch that is within range of the SmartStick. It added in just fine. I have a thermostat that I added in next to the SmartStick and it uses that first switch as its neighbor on the way to the SmartStick. The first set of switches is 6 inches below the thermostat. If I choose Add from the SmartStick dropdown, and then go to the switch and tap it once (to start the NWI add process) it does absolutely nothing.

Plus I still have no idea what the minimote does as it seems to also 'add' nodes successfully (per its LEDs) but nothing sees them... very frustrating...
                      If you already added them to the minimote then you will have to exclude them before you can add them to the SmartStick+

The minimote is a great tool but it can be complex as well as you would have to then add the minimote to HomeSeer and then shift the network controller. If my thinking is correct you probably inadvertently added them to the minimote which is why "nothing" is happening in the HS3 include window.

In HS3 go to the SmartStick+ manage page and select "Exclude" from the menu and hit start. Then go to the switch and perform the exclude routine for that switch. Sometimes it's the same as the include process and sometimes it's not. If you have the switch manual it will tell you how to exclude the switch. Then after the switch is excluded. Then try to include it again in HS3. Leave the minimote out of the picture

Comment

ahhh... the light starts to shine... I will try that.... and to that point. if I use the Z-net to add them, yet they will be closer mesh-wise to the smartstick eventually, do I also move them from controller to controller?

Comment

ahhh... the light starts to shine... I will try that.... and to that point. if I use the Z-net to add them, yet they will be closer mesh-wise to the smartstick eventually, do I also move them from controller to controller?
                          You said you have a couple devices down stairs already added via the SmartStick. Try excluding the devices and re-including them via the SmartStick first. If there really is still a range issue then you can move the z-net and use it to include the devices. If the z-net is a secondary inclusion controller then you can easily select in the device z-wave properties which controller should be primary for the device.

Comment

Working...
                          X