Constant Z-Wave Errors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by langenet View Post
    When I switched to HS3 from HS2, I had queue issues with the Z-troller which just frustrated me. So I went for the Z-Net and have never looked back. I'm beginning to worry about failure as well - especially power cycling it since it's UNIX based OS and the potential for the SD card to corrupt/fail. I will likely get a replacement SD card - though, I'm not sure which brand is good and the capacity required. I've also been thinking on getting another Z-Net just to keep in the box for that day when all hell breaks loose...
    WAF factor is a high determining factor in keeping the CFO happy.
    All you need to do is backup your existing card using Win32DiskImager. Keep the backed up image somewhere safe so you can always restore it at any time.
    Per size/brand, pretty much any brand card should be OK. I've used SanDisk, Kingston or Verbatim without any issues. Size shouldn't matter so long as you use a card at least as large as the original. 8Gig is probably the smallest card available these days. The Z-Net is basically a Raspberry Pi (either 2 or 3 depending on it's age) with an additional Z-Wave daughter board. If your Z-Net supports Wi-Fi without an external dongle, it's a pretty good bet you have a Pi 3B.

Personally, I intend to back up the card before ever powering up the Z-Net when it arrives.

Spare? Aartech.ca has the Z-Net for $199 Canadian. Amazon.ca is selling it for over $400.
    Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

Originally posted by Wadenut View Post
      Now I'm wondering (it's the hacker subroutine in my head always running in the background):

Pi + Z-Net Image + HS Smartstick+ = Spare Z-Net?
      Yes, technically. Not sure of the licensing implications.
      HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
      Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Originally posted by sparkman View Post

Yes, technically. Not sure of the licensing implications.
        Yes, there is that of course.
        Still like the idea of adding a display as, if nothing else, a quick diagnostic device.

Comment

Now this is odd. I wonder if someone could try to reproduce this. (Unplugging a module then polling it should do the trick).
          The device in question here is a simple Appliance Module (On/Off).

In trying to further reduce unnecessary Z-Wave traffic, in a script I've done the following to test whether or not a device is On/Off before changing it's state within a script.

Example:
          If hs.IsOnByName(DeviceName) Or hs.IsOffByName(DeviceName) Then
          Do Something ' status is valid
          Else
          Do Something Else ' status is invalid
          End If

Logically, if the Device's status is Unknown, as happens from time to time if HS loses track of the status (ie. Last function failed for whatever reason), this should work, and I have to say, always did under HS2.
          However, what I'm seeing with one particular affected device is this:

On the DeviceUtility Page, the device status shows "UNKNOWN", as would be expected in this case, however, under the Advanced Tab for the device properties, I see one of
          Status "ON" and Value "255" or
          Status "OFF" and Value "0".
          (hs2 would have shown a status value of 17 (unknown)

Due to the inconsistency, the script logic never works.

Comment

Use hs.DeviceInvalidValue(DevRefID) to determine if it's currently in Unknown "status".

Comment

OK. That's a new one. Not in the Help file, so no wonder I didn't know about it.
              Is there some hidden documentation for HS3 somewhere?

Comment

Jon00 started this thread with the known undocumented script calls: https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/de...ugin-functions. I've used Visual Studio to look for functions as well, particularly for the z-wave plugin.

Comment

Yeah, I found that thread earlier on today after you'd mentioned DeviceInvalidValue.
                  There's absolutely no valid reason for HST not to have these things properly documented. What would it take, maybe 30 minutes to add these undocumented functions to their online help files, or maybe a bit longer to actually FIX things that are documented but don't work as they're supposed to (Case in Point: IsOn/IsOff). I for one have spent many needless hours on this single issue, and now have to hunt through over 160 scripts for similar potential problems.

Comment

Z-Net Just arrived. Setup went smoothly enough. Starting the Optimization process. We'll see.

Comment

Well. Happy to report: None of those annoying errors overnight.
                      Switched to Wi-Fi now to make the Z-Net mobile.

Comment

I'm wondering if you had a bad Smartstick?
                        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by Wadenut View Post
                          Well. Happy to report: None of those annoying errors overnight.
                          Switched to Wi-Fi now to make the Z-Net mobile.
                          As I thought.... I'm wondering how the Wi-Fi works out. At the time of the Z-Net V1, it was an option to get the Wi-Fi. I questioned getting it and it was recommended to keep it hard-wired. Let us know.

Robert
                          HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Originally posted by langenet View Post

As I thought.... I'm wondering how the Wi-Fi works out. At the time of the Z-Net V1, it was an option to get the Wi-Fi. I questioned getting it and it was recommended to keep it hard-wired. Let us know.

Robert
                            The current version is based on a Pi3B which has onboard Wi-Fi. I didn't notice when I opened it to back up the card in its factory state whether or not I have a 3B or a 3B+. The latter supports dual band Wi-Fi; g or a/n bands. Right now, I'm on the g network. My a/n, while faster, might have some difficulty reaching my garage if I needed to re-add the lock out there (without pulling off the lock and bringing it to the Z-Net). The 2Gig g Wi-Fi does seem to be uite fast enough. In testing, I've not noticed any degradation in Z-Wave response time over the speed I had on Ethernet. I think I'll stick with the Wi-Fi as it makes the Z-Net portable when/if the need arises.

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
                              I'm wondering if you had a bad Smartstick?
                              I don;t think so really. In checking the logs over the past few weeks, I noticed the errors mainly occurred when several devices were commanded in quick succession, IE at bedtime when most of the lights are turned off and the all of the locks commanded to lock one after the other. It seems to me the SmartStick was incapable of handling all of that traffic so quickly.
                              There were none of these errors last night, but long term remains to be seen.
                              That, or the Z-Net simply has a stronger radio.

Comment

The biggest issue with the Z-Wave errors was that often devices were left in an "Unknown" state. Thus, events would fail to trigger when a device state was part of the event conditions, and scripts would fail for the same reason. This was the reason for using hs.IsOn and hs.IsOff in combination in an attempt to detect the Unknown States, which I found also failed to work as those functions don't always return a true state, even though IMO, they should. hs.DeviceInvalidValue was a godsend in that respect and I'm still in the process of integrating that test into about 47 scripts, even though so far, using the Z-Net, I haven't seen any Z-Wave devices in Unknown state. Previously, it was a daily occurrence.

If, however. the SmartStick can be suspected as being defective, it being only 3 months old, and having been purchased through a third party (Aartech), I'd be interested in returning it for replacement under warranty.

Comment

Working...
                                X