Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Com Port Issue

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Com Port Issue

    I'm new to homeseer and just came over from Vera. Have HS3 installed on my computer running Windows 10. Using the SmartStick + and drivers are installed.

    It will work in HS3 for a very short period but will constantly receive warning for failing to open the com port. Then it will stop working altogether saying it cannot open the com port. I'm not sure where to troubleshoot next. Thinking this is more of a windows/computer issue than a homeseer problem.

    I have tried different com ports, disabled USB power management and have it plugged into a powered hub.

    Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

    #2
    The SmartStick should have been plug-n-play on W10 so I wonder if the drivers you installed are the culprit. Do you have another PC to test HS3 on?
    -Rupp
    sigpic

    Comment


      #3
      I think have fixed it. It has been working for 2 days now with no errors/warnings. A hidden device with the same name and com port was created in device manager for some reason. Since removing it and restarting HS3, it's been working. Not sure how/why a hidden device was created, but at least it seems fixed!

      Comment


        #4
        I spoke to soon. My same issue is back. I have another machine I can try and use.

        Maybe reinstalling windows 10 would help?

        Comment


          #5
          Reinstalling couldn't hurt as it ensures a fresh start. Are you running any anti-virus software that may be interfering?
          -Rupp
          sigpic

          Comment


            #6
            Just the default windows 10 programs. I have tried disabling windows firewall and windows defender as well.

            I'm just getting repeated warnings in the log stating the com port is closed, then a message stating it is attempting to open.

            Recently, a random warning was thrown in stating:
            "Z-Wave Warning SmartStick: Z-Wave PC Controller Library Version: Z-Wave 6.02 (unknown)"

            Not sure if that means anything. Thanks for the help.

            Comment


              #7
              I was running the .262 version of the Z-Wave PI and downgraded to .252 and then started receiving the same Z-Wave 6.02 (unknown) error. Going back to .262 and recently to 3.0.2.0 cleared the error.

              Comment


                #8
                Check under device manager/comports for the assigned comport power options and make sure power saving is disabled.
                Could be windows is disabling your smartstick to save power ?
                Good luck !

                Neil
                Neil
                Newmarket Ontario

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by nsisman View Post
                  Check under device manager/comports for the assigned comport power options and make sure power saving is disabled.
                  Could be windows is disabling your smartstick to save power ?
                  Good luck !

                  Neil
                  Could you be more specific about where to find com port power options in W10? I disabled USB suspend, but there are no power options I can find for the com port in device manager. Thanks.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    What com port are you using? If it is COM1 or COM2? I would try moving it over to COM3 or COM4. Its possible something else is vying for that COM port you are using, perhaps moving to another will resolve the conflict. I believe you specify the com port in the USB driver.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by aa6vh View Post
                      What com port are you using? If it is COM1 or COM2? I would try moving it over to COM3 or COM4. Its possible something else is vying for that COM port you are using, perhaps moving to another will resolve the conflict. I believe you specify the com port in the USB driver.
                      Currently using com3.

                      I reloaded windows 10 and still having the same issue. Before reloading, I backed up HS3, and I had the SmartStick assigned to com5. Well now I'm also getting a warning in the log saying it can't find anything on com5. It also already been set to com3 in the plugin as well. Maybe I need to start fresh instead of using a backup for HS3.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by Eclipse90 View Post

                        Currently using com3.

                        I reloaded windows 10 and still having the same issue. Before reloading, I backed up HS3, and I had the SmartStick assigned to com5. Well now I'm also getting a warning in the log saying it can't find anything on com5. It also already been set to com3 in the plugin as well. Maybe I need to start fresh instead of using a backup for HS3.
                        You can backup your entire HS3 folder and then try a fresh installation. You can then always overlay your original folder if all else fails.
                        -Rupp
                        sigpic

                        Comment


                          #13
                          There has to be something I'm missing. Have a fresh install of HS3 now and can't get the SmartStick plus to even initialize. Getting the message when attempting to initialize:

                          "Interface init failed: cannot open com port com3: access to the port 'com3' is denied.

                          Fresh install of windows and HS3. There's got to be something missing here that I'm doing wrong. Very frustrating.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Check your power setting. You do this by opening your power profile in Windows control panel. You probably have balanced. Go into the advanced options and set USB selective suspend to disable. I have had lots of bad luck with that setting being enabled for most any USB devices other than keyboard and mouse.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Okay now I'm thinking there is something wrong with the SmartStick+ I have. Just tried it on two additional windows 10 computers. Installed HS3 and the Z-Wave plugin on each. Neither would initialize the SmartStick. I couldn't get either computer to work with it.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X