Com Port Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dweber85rc View Post
    Check your power setting. You do this by opening your power profile in Windows control panel. You probably have balanced. Go into the advanced options and set USB selective suspend to disable. I have had lots of bad luck with that setting being enabled for most any USB devices other than keyboard and mouse.
    Did this already.

Comment

Do you have any other serial port devices on this hardware? Most newer hardware doesn't offer 3 serial ports are you selecting the correct one? Did you look in your systems device manager to see how many Ports(COM & LPT) you have? The hardware I'm typing on has none.

Your Z-Stick could be bad as well. Where did you get it?
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
        Do you have any other serial port devices on this hardware? Most newer hardware doesn't offer 3 serial ports are you selecting the correct one? Did you look in your systems device manager to see how many Ports(COM & LPT) you have? The hardware I'm typing on has none.

Your Z-Stick could be bad as well. Where did you get it?
        There is another device listed as:

"Communications Port (COM1)"

No idea what it is for though.

I bought the SmartStick through Homeseer. Maybe I will reach out to them Monday to initiate an exchange and see if that helps. Or, was thinking could just get the ZNet device and avoid the com port issue altogether. Thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by Eclipse90 View Post

There is another device listed as:

"Communications Port (COM1)"

No idea what it is for though.

I bought the SmartStick through Homeseer. Maybe I will reach out to them Monday to initiate an exchange and see if that helps. Or, was thinking could just get the ZNet device and avoid the com port issue altogether. Thoughts?
          Post a screenshot of your device management ports and let us have a look.
          Did you try the Com1?

Comment

Personally it's up to you whether you want to utilize a USB ZWave stick or the ZNet device. Both work fine. My HS3 server is in the basement here. I installed my ZNet like device in the attic via a POE cable. Its been working fine for years now.

The USB stick is a serial to USB device such that under the control panel / hardware devices it will show up as a uniquely named serial device. Here is what I see with a Digi Edgeport and a Quatech Serial server device.

So on your device you should see both standard com ports and one propietary USB to serial port. Typically you can adjust the serial port to any free port you want or just utilize the defaults.

To configure the ZWave stick you utilize the named port in the control panel / device manager. Shut down Homeseer while tinkering with looking at the configuration of your ZWave stick. As Rupp mentions above do a screen picture of your device manager / Ports (COM & LP) section. Here is an example of one Windows box device manager picture.

Click image for larger version  Name:	USB_To_Serial_Ports_device_manager.jpg Views:	0 Size:	67.6 KB ID:	1350427

When you first plug in the ZWave USB stick the computer will automagically load the USB-Serial drivers.

- Pete

Auto mator
            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb

HS4 Pro - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
            HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Post a screenshot of your device management ports and let us have a look.
              Did you try the Com1?
              I have not tried COM1 since it was already being used. Here is a screenshot.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	314
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	1350494

Comment

If you remove your SmartStick does UZB(COM3) disappear? If so then this is the correct port. How old is your SmartStick. You should put in a support@homeseer.com email to get HS support to work with you on this issue as this is plug-n-play for most users.

Comment

If you remove your SmartStick does UZB(COM3) disappear? If so then this is the correct port. How old is your SmartStick. You should put in a support@homeseer.com email to get HS support to work with you on this issue as this is plug-n-play for most users.
                  Yes it does disappear. I just bought it over black Friday. I'll contact support.

Comment

Working...
                  X