Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SmartStick+ interface not beeing seen by HS4

Hello everyone,

I have an interesting issue that I am 100% sure I was the cause of... I have an old Dell PowerEdge server running Windows 2016 that I use as my HS4 server and the SmartStick+ is connected to the server. I was tinkering around with a different Homeseer setup on a VM using a Oracle VirtualBox instance on that server. I disabled the Z-Wave plugin on the main server, and added it to the VM. I was able to see it and use it and I got my testing done and disabled the Z-Wave plugin in the VM, and unchecked the SmartStick+ from the Oracle VirtualBox which should have made the stick visible to the Host OS but I am getting errors when I try and start the Z-Wave plugin on the host server.

WARNING: Failed getting InterfaceStatus from Z-Wave - the interface was not found in the list of active interfaces, the list may need to be refreshed.

The log shows this error:
    Initializing plug-in(1): Z-Wave Instance::Error registering web pages with the HomeSeer server: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. Service Version: NO_VERSION-> Server stack trace: Exception rethrown at [0]: at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessag e(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg) at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(Mess ageData& msgData, Int32 type) at HomeSeerAPI.IHSApplication.RegisterPage(String pageName, String PluginName, String PluginInstance) at HSPI_ZWave.HSPI.InitIO(String port) Time to load: 209 milliseconds

So I have tried to completely remove the USB device from the VirtualBox system. I also completely uninstalled VirtualBox just in case there was something that was capturing it there. But nothing I do seems to work and I can't figure out how to release it from what ever has captured it so I can add it back to my HS4 setup.

I have also deleted the USB device from device manager, I also deleted it and removed the drivers and completely reinstalled, all no joy. Kinda suck here.

I know the SmartStick works, because I have another HS system that I plugged it into and it was recognized and worked properly.

Any assistance or ideas you have would be welcomed.

John

Originally posted by Hobbit View Post
    Hello everyone,

I have an interesting issue that I am 100% sure I was the cause of... I have an old Dell PowerEdge server running Windows 2016 that I use as my HS4 server and the SmartStick+ is connected to the server. I was tinkering around with a different Homeseer setup on a VM using a Oracle VirtualBox instance on that server. I disabled the Z-Wave plugin on the main server, and added it to the VM. I was able to see it and use it and I got my testing done and disabled the Z-Wave plugin in the VM, and unchecked the SmartStick+ from the Oracle VirtualBox which should have made the stick visible to the Host OS but I am getting errors when I try and start the Z-Wave plugin on the host server.

WARNING: Failed getting InterfaceStatus from Z-Wave - the interface was not found in the list of active interfaces, the list may need to be refreshed.

The log shows this error:
    Initializing plug-in(1): Z-Wave Instance::Error registering web pages with the HomeSeer server: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. Service Version: NO_VERSION-> Server stack trace: Exception rethrown at [0]: at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessag e(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg) at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(Mess ageData& msgData, Int32 type) at HomeSeerAPI.IHSApplication.RegisterPage(String pageName, String PluginName, String PluginInstance) at HSPI_ZWave.HSPI.InitIO(String port) Time to load: 209 milliseconds

So I have tried to completely remove the USB device from the VirtualBox system. I also completely uninstalled VirtualBox just in case there was something that was capturing it there. But nothing I do seems to work and I can't figure out how to release it from what ever has captured it so I can add it back to my HS4 setup.

I have also deleted the USB device from device manager, I also deleted it and removed the drivers and completely reinstalled, all no joy. Kinda suck here.

I know the SmartStick works, because I have another HS system that I plugged it into and it was recognized and worked properly.

Any assistance or ideas you have would be welcomed.

John
    You said you deleted it from the device manager. Once you reinstalled it, were you able to update the drivers and see it under device manager?

Comment

Originally posted by mik3 View Post

You said you deleted it from the device manager. Once you reinstalled it, were you able to update the drivers and see it under device manager?
      Yeah, completely deleted from Device Manager then added in again. Once done I added the drivers in again as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobbit View Post

Yeah, completely deleted from Device Manager then added in again. Once done I added the drivers in again as well.
        So device manager sees it?

Verify the com port matches between device manager and Homeseer.

Comment

Originally posted by mik3 View Post

So device manager sees it?

Verify the com port matches between device manager and Homeseer.
          That's one of the problems, I cant even get into the Z-Wave settings because the plugin won't start. Is there somewhere else in the config files I could find this?

Comment

The plugin's configuration is stored in the file Z-Wave.ini in the Config folder under the HS root. What I would recommend to try is setting parameter 'IFace_0_Disabled=True' and restart the plugin. Make sure plugin is disabled when editing the file.

Hopefully this allows the plugin to start, then you can adjust the COM port and try enabling the interface.

Comment

Originally posted by zwolfpack View Post
              The plugin's configuration is stored in the file Z-Wave.ini in the Config folder under the HS root. What I would recommend to try is setting parameter 'IFace_0_Disabled=True' and restart the plugin. Make sure plugin is disabled when editing the file.

Hopefully this allows the plugin to start, then you can adjust the COM port and try enabling the interface.
              I like where your head is at. I did disable the interface in the HSRoot\Config\z-wave.ini file like you mentioned and restarted the plugin. That however did not seem to fix the issue and I can't get into the plugin config. The config file does have the COM Port in there correctly as 'IFace_0_COMPort=COM3' which is what COM port is being displayed in the Device Manager.

Maybe this is less of an HS issue, and more of a VirtualBox/Windows issue? Anyone had experience with USB captured devices that would be able to go that direction?

Comment

Is the plugin still failing to start? From your initial post, I guessed the problem had something to do with initializing the COM port, based on this part of the error message

at HSPI_ZWave.HSPI.InitIO(String port)

With all the interfaces disabled, it shouldn't be trying to initialize any ports (assuming correct interpretation of that message, admittedly a leap).

Any chance there are other interfaces enabled in the ZWave.ini ?

Comment

Working...
                X