Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible to lose ability to send but not receive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possible to lose ability to send but not receive?

All of a sudden, I've lost the ability to control all of my Z-wave devices.

I'm seeing Z-Wave traffic in the logs, but every node is unreachable.

Even one within a foot or two of the Smartstick.

Is it possible that my Smartstick cannot send, but can receive commands?

Running 4.1.12 with a Smartstick+ G2.

First thing I'd try is to cycle the SmartStick by unplugging/plugging in.

Comment

Originally posted by zwolfpack View Post
      First thing I'd try is to cycle the SmartStick by unplugging/plugging in.
      Yes. I've had this happen before, and that can resolve it. I also found that using the "restart this interface" option can fix it too. For me, it seems to happen if the PC reboots, but doesn't lose power. I wish HS would provide a way to do this with an event or script.

Comment

I've tried everything. Restart, restore from backup, etc. Communication with the Smartstick seems to be fine. Devices can be loaded from the controller. It just can't seem to talk with any of my Z-wave devices. Everything was fine until 2 night ago, when it all just stopped working.

Comment

If you've physically power cycled the controller and it didn't recover, it may have failed and need to be replaced.

Did you try the Z-Wave data reset? Plugins->Manage, click on Z-Wave, then from there click 'Reset Z-Wave Data'

Comment

Unfortunately, I've tried it all. I have backups of my z-wave network, and already ordered a new stick, but was hoping there would be an easier solution. Thought I might revive my old Z-net for the next week or so, but it's got some issues and needs to be reset, but HS wants me to buy a new SD card (which means shipping and time, which ius what I was trying to avoid) I guess I'm just dead in the water until the new stick arrives.

Comment

I swear I posted a reply here but it's gone

I have seen your exact symptoms before. My Z-Wave stick had lost its data (reasons not relevant) and HomeSeer cleverly was still able to happily process all the INCOMING Z-Wave data.... all devices continued to map through and update correctly. Control, however, was totally lost.

In that case I had a backup of the Z-Wave stick and was able to get another Z-Wave stick and restore to it - and can confirm this solved the problem, so I'm crossing my fingers for you.

Without that it would have required excluding and re-including all devices.

Comment

Tillsy, hopefully that'll do it. I've got 100+ Z-wave devices and some aren't very accessible. (Motion sensor 35' up on a wall. Had to borrow a painter's ladder to get it up there.) Thankfully I have backups of everything. Just wish I knew what caused this so I could avoid it in the future.

(Also wish Homeseer was more helpful in helping me restore my Z-Net, while I wait for the new Smartstick to arrive.)

Comment

I had that happen once in HS3 and the Smartstick. Nothing would get it to work. So just before I was about to start restores from backups, I threw in the towel. Powered off the entire PC, unplugged the Smartstick, said 10 Hail Mary's. And then plugged the Smartstick back in and powered on let it boot up. All of a sudden, everything started to work. Hasn't happened since then (about 3 month ago).

So I chalked it up to 'Go Figure;

Comment

Originally posted by George View Post
                    I had that happen once in HS3 and the Smartstick. Nothing would get it to work. So just before I was about to start restores from backups, I threw in the towel. Powered off the entire PC, unplugged the Smartstick, said 10 Hail Mary's. And then plugged the Smartstick back in and powered on let it boot up. All of a sudden, everything started to work. Hasn't happened since then (about 3 month ago).

I've had that I reckon 3 times over the years. Rebooting or shutting down didn't work - yet shutting down, leaving it unpowered for a few moments, unplugging the Z-Wave stick, plugging back in, powering back up, and all was good again.... likewise in each case decided thank heavens it is up again and just let it be

Comment

Originally posted by George View Post

After going through all the suggested fixes, including shutting down the system, unplugging the ZWave stick for 30 seconds, then rebooting, I tried your "Hail Mary".

Shut down the system, unplugged the Zwave Stick, forgot about it for 30 minutes, plugged the ZWave stick back in, booted up, and Hallelujiah!, it's all working again.

I didn't say any hail Mary's so we can probably take that out of the equation if you're feeling particularly brave.

Comment

Originally posted by Schly View Post

After going through all the suggested fixes, including shutting down the system, unplugging the ZWave stick for 30 seconds, then rebooting, I tried your "Hail Mary".

Shut down the system, unplugged the Zwave Stick, forgot about it for 30 minutes, plugged the ZWave stick back in, booted up, and Hallelujiah!, it's all working again.

I didn't say any hail Mary's so we can probably take that out of the equation if you're feeling particularly brave.
                        Glad it helped you. Z-Wave seems be to an orphaned child like X-10. Not sure exactly what HST want's us to use for equipment and lighting control other than to drop HS and migrate everything over to wi-fi and Alexa.

Comment

Working...
                        X