Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smartstick+ and Kwikset locks.

Hi,
    I'm replacing several locks with the Kwikset Zwave locks. The lock boasts the feature "Z-Wave Plus Certified with the Z-Wave 500 chipset." They work, so far, really well IF the Smartstick+ is closer to the lock. They receive commands quite well even if the Smartstick is further away but their status transmitted to the Stick is a problem if the Stick is further away. I have done a lot of reading and I've heard several terms bandied about for the devices which should be in the path of the Lock and the Stick to provide good two-way communication:

Zwave Secure Beaming
    Zwave Beaming Repeater
    Zwave Repeater
    etc

Are they all the same? I would just like to place a few mesh devices around the house in the form of plugin repeaters or plugin light sockets to do the job. What should I be looking for specifically to improve communications with the locks? I've seen "plugs and repeaters" from $20+ - $50+ in price.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Get an AEOTEC-7 Z-Wave Repeater and the locks should work just fine. It support beaming and will establish a direct connection with the SmartStick+ Then optimize your lock or better yet, just go into the lock routing and set it for the 1st route to be the repeater. Voila, Kwikset and Schlage locks works great. You can still get the AEOTEC 6's but the 7's support the new Z-Wave level 7 protocols as well.

The below link is for a 2 pack which is cheaper per unit. But you can also get them single.

https://www.amazon.com/Aeotec-Range-.../dp/B07GRYTHBQ

Comment

Originally posted by George View Post
      Get an AEOTEC-7 Z-Wave Repeater and the locks should work just fine. It support beaming and will establish a direct connection with the SmartStick+ Then optimize your lock or better yet, just go into the lock routing and set it for the 1st route to be the repeater. Voila, Kwikset and Schlage locks works great. You can still get the AEOTEC 6's but the 7's support the new Z-Wave level 7 protocols as well.

The below link is for a 2 pack which is cheaper per unit. But you can also get them single.

https://www.amazon.com/Aeotec-Range-.../dp/B07GRYTHBQ
      Great, thanks! Is there also a version that has a Zwave controlled outlet in it? Might as well make use of additional devices if I can.
      Best...

Comment

There are separate Z-Wave controlled outlets that you can install. One outlet is controlled by Z-Wave and can be turned on and off, one is always on that you can plug the repeater in. They are Decora style.

I have a couple of extras left over from the project, if you'd like one or two PM me.

Comment

Originally posted by George View Post
          There are separate Z-Wave controlled outlets that you can install. One outlet is controlled by Z-Wave and can be turned on and off, one is always on that you can plug the repeater in. They are Decora style.

I have a couple of extras left over from the project, if you'd like one or two PM me.
          I tried to PM you but I don't see my post in the messages.

Comment

Just click on my Avatar and the screen with the private message will pop up. Don't hit POST when you are done, but go to the top and press private message. Really confusing why they did that.

Comment

avpman I had the same issue as you and rather than just buying the Aeotec range extender I picked up a few of the Leviton DZPA1-2BW. Has the advantage of being able to be plugged in to an existing receptacle rather than replacing the receptacle and you get a controlled outlet.

Comment

Originally posted by marthoc View Post
                avpman I had the same issue as you and rather than just buying the Aeotec range extender I picked up a few of the Leviton DZPA1-2BW. Has the advantage of being able to be plugged in to an existing receptacle rather than replacing the receptacle and you get a controlled outlet.
                I looked at the specs for the 2BW because I have two of them already. While they are repeaters they 'do not' support beaming technology which is required to wake up a S0 or S2 lock.

Comment

I have a couple of the aeotec extenders coming tomorrow. They are the model seven. I'll report back how they are performing.

Comment

I believe the DZPA1-2BW does in fact support "beaming", see the following: https://products.z-wavealliance.org/...1959/embedpics, and the manufacturer instruction booklet: https://www.leviton.com/en/docs/DZPA1_Tsht_BW_v1p11.pdf. My understanding is that the device itself does not need to support S0 or S2 in order to repeat commands to a device that does.

Comment

Working...
                    X