Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Error trying to migrate to new G3 smartstick - Solved!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Error trying to migrate to new G3 smartstick - Solved!

Hi folks. I am trying to migrate my zwave configuration to the new G3 smartstick from the G2 one.

I backed up, but when trying to restore to the new interface, I get the following error: Click image for larger version

Name:	zstickerror.jpg
Views:	415
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	1482790

The system Homeseer is running on has a lot of free space, it's not a local error. Could this be something broken on the Homeseer server side? Why would a restore be dependent on a remote server? Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!

As the message states, "the node information is sent to a server for processing", and "no information is saved on the server".

As I noted here, restore doesn't work without an internet connection. By extension, the server needs to be operating properly.

At or about plugin version 3.0.6.0, significant changes were implemented.
    (1) the Z-Wave backup file changed from the prior ".ZWave" format to a ".nodes" format (JSON-based).
    (2) restore is only supported from the new format; backups made with previous versions aren't accepted.
    (3) for the restore operation, the ".nodes" backup file is sent to a remote server for conversion to a binary memory map. This is subsequently written to the controller EEPROM. [the converted memory map is deposited in "out.bin" in the hsroot/Data/Z-Wave folder].

Comment

This server was reset and space cleared yesterday evening. If you have an issue put in a support ticket on your issue.
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

The restore process was provided by Silicon Labs and only runs one type of system so we could not incorporate it into the Z-Wave plugin, hence the reason we run it on our server. I understand that you would like to have a standalone solution and to do that you could become a Z-Wave developer and get the Z-Wave SDK and create your own solution. That is the only option I can recommend at this time. HomeSeer started in 1998 and we are still in business and I don't see us going away anytime soon.

Comment

Originally posted by rjh View Post
          The restore process was provided by Silicon Labs and only runs one type of system so we could not incorporate it into the Z-Wave plugin, hence the reason we run it on our server. I understand that you would like to have a standalone solution and to do that you could become a Z-Wave developer and get the Z-Wave SDK and create your own solution. That is the only option I can recommend at this time. HomeSeer started in 1998 and we are still in business and I don't see us going away anytime soon.
          I get that you're not going away, but you can always be bought out, and then poof -gone! HAI Omni, around forever, bought by Leviton and then poof - gone! Aside from that, I am locked into HS because there is no dependency on the cloud other than Alexa and MyHS. Everything else is locally contained except for this new dependency on the HS servers to restore Zwave devices. If this can be accomplished by the Zwave SDK, why can not HS create a uniform solution for all of us to use?

Disappointed how this was implemented, but more importantly, the way it slid past us until someone questioned the process after receiving an error from the HS servers. This is out of character for your team.

Comment

Originally posted by avpman View Post

I get that you're not going away, but you can always be bought out, and then poof -gone! HAI Omni, around forever, bought by Leviton and then poof - gone! Aside from that, I am locked into HS because there is no dependency on the cloud other than Alexa and MyHS. Everything else is locally contained except for this new dependency on the HS servers to restore Zwave devices. If this can be accomplished by the Zwave SDK, why can not HS create a uniform solution for all of us to use?

Disappointed how this was implemented, but more importantly, the way it slid past us until someone questioned the process after receiving an error from the HS servers. This is out of character for your team.
            If you do not want a cloud dependency then simply do not use the Z-Wave restore. The option still exists to manually add your devices with out cloud dependency.

Comment

So you won't be able to upgrade to a gen 700 stick unless HS provides that upgrade service... It also appears (not sure about this) that you can't backup your 700 series stick and copy it onto a new 700 series stick in case your old one broke. The same repeats when a 900 series stick comes out (which will take a few year, I would assume).

Comment

Originally posted by mulu View Post
                So you won't be able to upgrade to a gen 700 stick unless HS provides that upgrade service...
                Correct, for now at least.

It also appears (not sure about this) that you can't backup your 700 series stick and copy it onto a new 700 series stick in case your old one broke.
                Only true (at this moment) if you're planning for the apocalypse.

Backup doesn't depend on the cloud, that's not at issue. Only the restore depends on the HS cloud server.

Comment

Originally posted by zwolfpack View Post
                  Only true (at this moment) if you're planning for the apocalypse.

Backup doesn't depend on the cloud, that's not at issue. Only the restore depends on the HS cloud server.
                  I had such an apocalypse when HS whipped out my z-wave network. And what is a backup good for if you can't restore from it?

Comment

Originally posted by mulu View Post
                    And what is a backup good for if you can't restore from it?
                    For sure, ask HST international customers, they've been living with that for years...

Comment

Note that you can back up a 700 series stick and restore to another 700 series stick. I have tested that. We could offer a solution that works locally on Windows only. The cloud solution allows for the restore to work on any system (X86, ARM, whatever). Silicon Labs (and Sigma before) never seemed to really care about migrating systems. The previous restore that we offered was done by reverse engineering the EEPROM layout. Took a LONG time to figure that out. That is no longer possible as the EEPROM now uses a SQL layout so it is much more complex. I am sure that if HS went away someone could easily provide a restore solution that ran on Windows or Linux as the program that does the restore is available in the Z-Wave SDK. We did not write it, we just make it easy to use from our UI. As mentioned, the backup does not require any external application. Some other systems require you to pay for the ability to restore your nodes.

Comment

International customers used a different stick and we could not map the EEPROM layout due to the code on the Z-Wave chip being custom. We did try though and it worked for a few early revisions. The new restore actually works now, at least with the latest UZB stick.

Originally posted by zwolfpack View Post

For sure, ask HST international customers, they've been living with that for years...

Comment

We could offer a solution that works locally on Windows only. .
                          Would this be a windows-based stand-alone utility? Not requiring an HS install? Even if it did require an HS install I think such a utility would be welcomed and highly appreciated.

+1

Comment

Yes, it can run stand alone, but you would have to manually copy files from your HS install to the windows system. This would be complicated for non technical Linux users hence the reason this is not a good solution for everyone. We would have to deal with some NDA issues with Silicon Labs also.

Originally posted by avpman View Post

Would this be a windows-based stand-alone utility? Not requiring an HS install? Even if it did require an HS install I think such a utility would be welcomed and highly appreciated.

+1

Comment

The new restore actually works now, at least with the latest UZB stick.
                              Wait... are you saying what I think you are saying? Restore now also works for UZB devices, even here in Europe?! This is great news!

This has been somewhat off-putting for a couple of years now, and been a sore point when discussing and recommending HomeSeer. I'm VERY happy if this is finally fixed!

Originally posted by rjh
                              We could offer a solution that works locally on Windows only.
                              That would be much appreciated! That means that I can restore a Z-wave network offline (say I have HomeSeer running somewhere with poor internet coverage, as I do) using my laptop.

And the same method could be used if I had a problem while the internet or your servers have a problem. Most of us are all for services that can run offline, that's a reason to choose HomeSeer!

HSPro 3.0.0.458, Z-NET with Z-wave plugin 3.0.1.190, RFXCOM + 2x RFXtrx433E, HSTouch, Squeezebox plugin, iTach IP/WF2IR & GC-100-6 with UltraGCIR, BLDenon, NetcamStudio, Jon00s Webpage builder, Harmony Hub plugin, SCSIP (with FreePBX), Arduino plugin, IFTTT, Pushalot plugin, Device History plugin.
                              Running on Windows 10 (64) virtualized
                              on ESXi (Fujitsu Primergy TX150 S8).
                              WinSeer (for Win10) - TextSeer - FitbitSeer - HSPI_MoskusSample

Are you Norwegian (or Scandinavian) and getting started with HomeSeer? Read the "HomeSeer School"!

Comment

Working...
                              X