New Z-wave G3 SmartStick Depends on the Cloud

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Z-wave G3 SmartStick Depends on the Cloud

There was a now closed thread (so I can't post there, hence the new thread) where fresnoboy had problems restoring the z-wave configuration to the new G3 smartstick+. It turns out that a restore requires you to connect to an HS server. As rjh said, without this HS server you would have to become a z-wave developer (which probably costs a bunch of money), get the z-wave SDK and create your own program to do the conversion. If this was a relatively easy task then HS would have done it. Hence, that is NOT a solution at all.

As Rupp pointed out, you can still use the smartstick but you have to basically redo everything manually (not just devices but also events, etc). I am going through that process but it is a MAJOR PITA. We need to have a backup/restore solution that doesn't despend on HS
    One major reason I chose HS is because it does not depend on the cloud. Of course, the control of my devices is still not cloud based but almost all my devices are z-wave and not being able to backup and restore this independently from HS is a VERY serious concern to me. As avpman pointed out, while HS has been around for a long time businesses can still go under (Kodak, and MANY other ones), they can be bought by others and they have other goals/ideas, etc.

It appears HS isn't willing to rectify that problem so is there an alternative 700 series z-wave stick solution that allows backups and restores without depending on HS?

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...rtstick-solved

A similar issue converting from G2 to G3, eventually decided to just start from scratch with the new G3 700 series and nothing but problems - using new beta z-wave and HS4 and the devices lose connection to the smartstick every few hours requiring a reboot or interface restart. I never thought I would be say this after spending $1000 on homeseer HS4/plugins/hardware over the last two months but I'm actually considering going back to Vera and trying their 700 Ezlo series as much as I hate to say that. Really wanted to like Homeseer.

Comment

Originally posted by STB400 View Post
      A similar issue converting from G2 to G3, eventually decided to just start from scratch with the new G3 700 series and nothing but problems - using new beta z-wave and HS4 and the devices lose connection to the smartstick every few hours requiring a reboot or interface restart. I never thought I would be say this after spending $1000 on homeseer HS4/plugins/hardware over the last two months but I'm actually considering going back to Vera and trying their 700 Ezlo series as much as I hate to say that. Really wanted to like Homeseer.
      I'd recommend staying with the tried and true SmartStick or other non 700 series until the beat phase is over which could be a while. This is new technology that simply hasn't been out long enough to flush our the issues.

💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Understandably, but there are some that report stable systems using HS4 and G3 - seems at least somewhat stable and I'm trying to figure out what's making my new install so much different than theirs.

Comment

I am confused as to the issues here? Did the restore to our 700 series stick on work properly? Did you get an error?

Comment

Original support ticket HSCS-7367 did not lead to a resolution with issues of migrating from G2 to G3 with restore/backup. Devices unresponsive after an hour of initially working, only a restart of HS4 Pro and Windows 10, or sometimes a restart of the z-wave interface, would get it working again. Once windows 10 and HS4 reboot the devices work for a little while responding to commands as normal. Thereafter, all devices of different manufacturers fail to respond and often show a ? instead of on/off. Logs show the node unresponsive. At that point I bought a new Asus PN95 and fresh windows 10 install, fresh HS4 Pro install with G3 card from start I added devices. On the new system, I am experiencing similar devices become unresponsive requiring reboot.

Things I have tried.
            1 - Purchased second G3 to make sure the original wasn't bad etc.
            2 - Went over power settings to make sure USB wasn't going into sleep mode
            3 - Z-wave 3.0.70 installed - HS4 Pro 4.1.18.0 update installed

Comment

We are looking at some communication issues, will post when I have more information.

Originally posted by STB400 View Post
              Original support ticket HSCS-7367 did not lead to a resolution with issues of migrating from G2 to G3 with restore/backup. Devices unresponsive after an hour of initially working, only a restart of HS4 Pro and Windows 10, or sometimes a restart of the z-wave interface, would get it working again. Once windows 10 and HS4 reboot the devices work for a little while responding to commands as normal. Thereafter, all devices of different manufacturers fail to respond and often show a ? instead of on/off. Logs show the node unresponsive. At that point I bought a new Asus PN95 and fresh windows 10 install, fresh HS4 Pro install with G3 card from start I added devices. On the new system, I am experiencing similar devices become unresponsive requiring reboot.

Things I have tried.
              1 - Purchased second G3 to make sure the original wasn't bad etc.
              2 - Went over power settings to make sure USB wasn't going into sleep mode
              3 - Z-wave 3.0.70 installed - HS4 Pro 4.1.18.0 update installed

Comment

Working...
              X