Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moved HS3 data to new Windows10 machine, please help troubleshoot Z-wave interface

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moved HS3 data to new Windows10 machine, please help troubleshoot Z-wave interface

I was running HS3 on a Win7 PC. Disk crashed, so I set up a new PC (now Windows 10), installed HS3, and then copied over my HS3 folder backup. Now it's not recognizing my Z-wave interface, which was a Gen5 Aeotec Z-stick. I see this:
    This network has no active interfaces enabled for it, and it has no objects or
    HomeSeer devices tied to it. If this network will not be used again, please
    use the functions at the end to remove this network and all associated
    network data. (Restart the plug-in after removing the interface before
    attempting the removal.)
    and log says:
    Oct-04 5:38:22 AM Z-Wave Warning Z-Wave Interface New Interface (Node 1) on Network 018523E1 FAILED initialization with the message: Timeout looking for Z-Wave interface., will keep trying.
    Oct-04 5:38:22 AM Z-Wave Error New Interface: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxx
    Oct-04 5:38:22 AM Z-Wave Error New Interface: Timeout looking for Z-Wave interface.
    Oct-04 5:38:22 AM Z-Wave Error New Interface: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxx
    Oct-04 5:38:06 AM Z-Wave Warning New Interface: The serial port (COM4) was not found in the system. Will keep waiting for it...
    and there's a little yellow box with a red circle and a line through it, under Z-Wave interfaces. I want to get it back exactly how it was - is all the info in my HS3 folder, or is something useful stored on the USB stick itself, such that if I move to a new one, I will lose stuff?

My options seem to be, get this new PC talking to the original Aeotec stick (is there maybe a USB port setting or something I need to change on the OS side?), or, put in a SmartStick+ that I have. Is the SmartStick+ better or not than the Aeotec Z-stick that I have? Is it worth moving to it (assuming I won't lose a ton of settings)? I just want everything back exactly how I had it before...

Also, I now notice that the CP2102 USB to UART Bridge Controller (isn't that my Aeotech stick?) says there's no driver. Do I need to install a separate driver for that? I was looking for ways to assign COM4 to USB, but I don't see it:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-10-03 at 5.42.34 PM.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	1500363

You may need to install a USB device driver.

Open Windows Device Manager (right-click on Windows Start icon then select Device Manager). Expand the section 'Ports (COM & LPT)' and see what is there. Also look for entries in an 'Other devices' displaying a badge with a warning triangle.

Your configuration is set to expect a COM4 device.

Depending on what you find, you may need to go to the Aeotec site and look for the driver.

Comment

I also think it needs a driver. When I installed HS3 the HS3 installer also loaded the driver for the SmartStick +. Do you have the system32 files from your old PC that you can point the driver installer to and have it lookup to see if one of those are signed for the Z-stick?

Comment

Originally posted by zwolfpack View Post
        YExpand the section 'Ports (COM & LPT)'
        it doesn't exist there :-( - no such section!

Comment

Originally posted by George View Post
          I also think it needs a driver. When I installed HS3 the HS3 installer also loaded the driver for the SmartStick +. Do you have the system32 files from your old PC that you can point the driver installer to and have it lookup to see if one of those are signed for the Z-stick?
          Unfortunately I don't have those files from the old PC, but, I do see this:

https://help.aeotec.com/support/solu...vers-inf-files

looks like I can download the drivers - once I do, do I need to
          associate them with the CP2102 device or the installer does it automatically?

Also, unlike what the instructions say, there is no Install contextual menu when I right-click uzb.inf!

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-10-03 at 6.36.36 PM.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	1500376

Comment

Yup those are them. The .inf files are the guide for installing what's in the .cat files. The installer should make it pop up automatically as a ported device. All you then have to do is match the port that Windows assigns to it in the Z-Wave config for the plugin.

Comment

Originally posted by mlevin77 View Post

it doesn't exist there :-( - no such section!
              This confirms that you need a driver, which will allow the device to be recognized and a COM device created.

https://aeotec.freshdesk.com/support...inf-on-windows

Comment

Also suggest unplug/replug the Z-Stick and watch the Device Manager. When it's plugged in, a device of some sort should appear. If the proper driver is installed, it will be a COM device the the Ports section. Otherwise something may appear in the 'Other devices' section.

Comment

Yup those are them. The .inf files are the guide for installing what's in the .cat files. The installer should make it pop up automatically as a ported device. All you then have to do is match the port that Windows assigns to it in the Z-Wave config for the plugin.
                  ok I was able to install and it claimed success. Now, a USB section appeared, but the device still looks like it doesn't have a driver:

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-10-03 at 7.20.13 PM.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	1500384

should I try to assign this driver manually (how - where do I find it now that it's been installed)?

Comment

If you right click a .inf file, one of the options, at the top is to install.

Name:	install.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	1500386

Comment

Also suggest unplug/replug the Z-Stick and watch the Device Manager. When it's plugged in, a device of some sort should appear. If the proper driver is installed, it will be a COM device the the Ports section. Otherwise something may appear in the 'Other devices' section.
                      Yeah I unplugged and plugged the USB stick back in, and it's still in my Other Devices section, and no COM ports (in fact I have no Ports section!) have appeared even though driver claims it was installed. I see some instructions on-line:
                      1. Open Device Manager.
                      2. Click on Action in the menu bar and select Add legacy hardware > Next.
                      3. Select Install the hardware that I manually select from a list (Advanced) and click Next.
                      4. Scroll down, then select Ports (COM & LPT) and click Next.
                      5. Select the Manufacturer accordingly and click Finish.

is that relevant here and if so, what kind of manufacturer/port do I choose?

Comment

Did you try the methods 1, 2 and 3 in the article you linked earlier?

Comment

Do you have TeamViewer? I may be able to connect in and trouble shoot the driver issue.

Comment

Did you try the methods 1, 2 and 3 in the article you linked earlier?

I tried method 1 - reported success, but nothing changed. Method 2 says "Look for "Ports (COM & LPT)" but those don't appear on the list, even after the "install" of the drivers. Method 3 results in "Windows could not find driver for your device" even though I point it at the folder of drivers containing the .inf file.

Comment

Do you have TeamViewer? I may be able to connect in and trouble shoot the driver issue.
                              Yes, bless you!!! Let's connect directly via DM - I will give you TeamViewer credentials, thank you so much. I've killed a ton of time on this, would love to get it working again and move on. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Comment

Working...
                              X