I'm Lost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm Lost

I have a functioning Home Seer system based on the HomeTroller Plus. I need to add a Z Wave water leak detector. I just got my Smartstick+ G3 USB Zwave interface. Questions:

Do I plug this into a USB port on the hub or a USB port on my desktop computer?
    Do I need to download a driver, if so when?
    When I go into the Z Wave plugin and try to add the interface this model is not presented

Any help for this newbie is appreciated.

Thanks,

George

The HomeSeer SmartStick+ G3 USB Z-Wave Stick product page has answers to your questions. See the Manual under Downloads.

Physical Installation: Simply attach SmartStick+ to a USB port on your HomeSeer system.
    Driver installation instructions are there as well. These may have been pre-installed, as they are both HST products.

Exact interface model isn't critical. Select HomeSeer SmartStick+ or Generic Serial, they are the same.

Comment

I started with that manual but it does tell me where to plug it in, the hub or my desktop.

Comment

Per the quote, attach it to a USB port on your HomeSeer system. That's the one you bought from HomeSeer.

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeLG View Post
          I started with that manual but it does tell me where to plug it in, the hub or my desktop.
          The hub. The Homeseer platform needs to talk directly to it since it's a USB device. Your desktop isn't running any software other than a web browser to talk to the HomeTroller/hub.

Comment

Thank you. That same instruction manual told me to select a Z wave interface that is not presented in the menu. All the YouTube videos I looked at have you looking in your windows desktop device manager for the USB device and I can’t tell if that’s for people using HS for software on their desktop or am I also supposed to be able to see the Z wave interface there even if it’s plugged into the hub.

Comment

The Hometroller is nothing more than an HomeSeer branded Windows desktop PC in a small form factor. That's where everything is taking place.

As per the Quick Start Instructions:

Click image for larger version

Name:	temp.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	1560830

Comment

Welcome to HomeSeer. Documentation isn't a strong point, to put it mildly.

HomeTroller Plus runs Windows. The videos you're seeing doubtless show the Windows Device Manager running there.

You'd probably be best served by connecting a monitor, keyboard & mouse to the unit if you haven't already. Later you can explore remote login.

Comment

OK so now my zwave interface and water detector are up and running. I need a way to be notified that water is detected. The sensor works and I set up an event to send an email. After 2 hours of two different email accounts, servers, ports, ssl, double checking passwords, ports 587/465, etc I keep getting errors in the log. Water detected and event launched but email failed to send. U/N and P/W not accepted, SSL., ... I dont care if i get a phone banner, text, email, letter, electric shock, bat signal, ... Can somebody help me get my water detector to "phone" home. Thanks,

George

Comment

Working...
                  X