No announcement yet.

How do you remove a node - Solved!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My issue is that I have what I "think" are two orphaned nodes due to trying to add my Schlage door lock. The lock finally added, and have additional questions, but we will keep on topic here. My nodes 12 and 13 are my problem children, node 14 is my lock that pretty much works.
    I have read through this thread and see that people mention doing this:
    Homeseer devices page, clicking on the device and going to Zwave tab, delete from there.
    Or
    In zwave node information, click on the "Full Name" and then delete from there.

Here is my problem: 1. node 12 & 13 DO NOT appear in Homseer Devices, only my actual lock, node 14.
    2. in zwave node information, there is NOTHING (blank) in the name, therefore nothing to click on to delete! (See image)Click image for larger version

Name:	Orphanded_Nodes.JPG
Views:	595
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	1467818

I am sure this is my stupidity, but this seems way too complicated! What am I doing wrong?

Comment

I think I fixed my above problem, with the below that I found on another thread:

So this is what I did and it worked, but with some unexpected results that I worked around.
      1. I did a backup of the main Z-net interface.
      2. I found the backup file in C:\Program Files (x86)\HomeSeer HS3\Data\Z-Wave and made a copy
      3. I edit the copy and removed the 4 lines
      4. Back in the HS web interface I selected the option to "Restore a network to this interface" which completed without error and seemed to restart the interface.
      This is where things got a bit weird. I ended up with a new network created with no interfaces, so I deleted it now I'm back to "normal" with the extra nodes gone.

Comment

Originally posted by kc8tmv View Post
        I think I fixed my above problem, with the below that I found on another thread:

So this is what I did and it worked, but with some unexpected results that I worked around.
        1. I did a backup of the main Z-net interface.
        2. I found the backup file in C:\Program Files (x86)\HomeSeer HS3\Data\Z-Wave and made a copy
        3. I edit the copy and removed the 4 lines
        4. Back in the HS web interface I selected the option to "Restore a network to this interface" which completed without error and seemed to restart the interface.
        This is where things got a bit weird. I ended up with a new network created with no interfaces, so I deleted it now I'm back to "normal" with the extra nodes gone.
        Had a similar situation as you and found this post. Thanks. This worked for me as well. I also had to optimize afterwards.

Comment

Hi All,

Running HS4 on Windows 10 machine and using 3 Z-nets, one being my main one a the other two only having a couple of devices each.

I am battling an issue with my Z-wave devices on my main Z-net responding really slowly. Most noticeably with my motion sensor light activation, when the light might take 10-20 seconds to come on.

I have turned off all polling on devices on that Z-net, but the issue remains. There wasn't much polling anyway, other than every 12 hours or so for some batteries that wouldn't update their status.

However, node information for that Z-net shows about 15 devices listed that are the same as outlined by kc8tmv​ a couple of posts up. i.e., they DO NOT appear in Homseer Devices and don't have a name, and so can't be deleted by name.

Now I see the approach kc8tmv​​ took to fixing it, and am keen to try it.

A question about it:
          • When I back up the z-net, 2 files are created, a *.nodes one and a *.zwave. Am I correct that I only need to edit the *.zwave file? The *.nodes file doesn't look readily editable.....
          Thanks,

Dave

Comment

Got it sorted, without having to edit files. This relates to Z-nets - not sure whether it does the same with other Zwave transceivers.

For other people's interest if they strike this issue:
            • I recalled deleting a Z-wave device using Z-Tools prompted generation of a pile of zombies devices in HS4 under "Node Information".
            • So I added, then deleted, an unused z-wave device I had lying around.
            • Sure enough, this resulted on those nodes in a pile of new named HS devices with names of "Node XXX...... Sigma....XXX"
            • I could then click on the name, and bring up the zwave tab for each. Some deleted easily, some took a few goes including re-scanning and auditing them, but I eventually got them all removed.
            Then I backed up the Z-nets....

Comment

I have a whole bunch of "dead nodes" in my SmartStick+ that I have not been able to remove. The "Remove Bad Node" operation fails.

I am interested in trying kc8tmv's approach above, so I just ran a backup. I see that there are 2 files created. One with a type extension of .zwave, which is a very simply formatted text file. The other has a type extension of .nodes, and it is a JSON file that has a good bit more information.

Is this new with HS4 (that is what I'm running)?

Do I need to edit both files and remove the nodes I want to go away?

What do I need to do in the way of backups to ensure I can go back to where I am at if need be?

Comment

Originally posted by bradleyward View Post
                I have a whole bunch of "dead nodes" in my SmartStick+ that I have not been able to remove. The "Remove Bad Node" operation fails.

I am interested in trying kc8tmv's approach above, so I just ran a backup. I see that there are 2 files created. One with a type extension of .zwave, which is a very simply formatted text file. The other has a type extension of .nodes, and it is a JSON file that has a good bit more information.

Is this new with HS4 (that is what I'm running)?

Do I need to edit both files and remove the nodes I want to go away?

What do I need to do in the way of backups to ensure I can go back to where I am at if need be?
                I have the same problem, I have a node that I have no idea where it came from, it still says it is communicating so I can't use the remove bad node. I have the same question. In older versions I was able to just edit the zwave file an remove a node. Now with HS4 there are two files when I do a backup, the .nodes file, and the .zwave file. I see the .nodes files is a json file, and when I use a tool that reformats it, it easily shows the nodes, and I could remove the rogue node in that file and save it, however it would be formatted to look like Json file so don't know if that matters or not. Just wondering if anybody has removed a node before by editing both the zwave and nodes files and then doing an import again of the new files.

I have tried to rescan the node just to see if I could see what node it might be, but it just stays as Z-Wave Sigma Light with no options to do anything with it, no on or off options, etc.

In the log file, I received these messages during the rescan.

Node 30 does not support the manufacturer specific command class - it is either a really old device or there was a communications problem.
                If this is an import, you may need to remove and add the device as some devices cannot be added with an import.
                Failed to get a SECURITY SCHEME or verify the key from node 30. Device may not be added properly to HomeSeer.​​

Comment

Well, not solved for me. There should be a comprehensive white paper from HS4 on exact steps to accomplish this!

Comment

I decided to try deleting the rogue node on HS4 as I couldn't remove it using remove bad node as it was still communicating. Maybe I missed a post or documentation somewhere, but I could not see how to delete a node on HS4 since there are two files, the JSON .nodes file and the .zwave file. Note that before I did anything I did a complete backup of HS4, and I did a backup of the ZNET interface. I copied the .nodes and .zwave files in case I wanted to restore my edited files back to the originals.

Since the JSON file is not formatted, it is hard to see the format of the file. I used an online formatter at https://jsonformatter.org/ to view the .nodes file formatted, so I could easily see the node and determine the format of what should be deleted in the node. I then edited the .nodes file in notepad, and removed the text that all belonged to the node 30 which in my case was the rogue node to be removed. I then edited the .zwave file and also removed the line for node 30. I then did a restore of the interface with the new files. I exited HS4, and then reloaded it and manually removed the node 30 device from the dashboard of HS4. I then tried the "Create Homeseer Devices" option to make sure that nothing new gets created. It worked great, as the bad node was not added again, and nothing new was added. This seems to work no problem. All I had to do is some optimization again with the nodes as the restore removed all the routing. I no longer have the rogue node, and everything else seems to be working as normal as before. Next is to backup everything again without the bad node.​

Comment

I just thought I would paste in the format of what the block of code looks like to be removed. You have to make sure to remove correctly from a { bracket to the ending }, bracket

Here is an example of a formatted .nodes file from https://jsonformatter.org/

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	172
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	1635495

Here is what this looks like in the unformatted original .nodes file in notepad view, and is what would be deleted.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	168
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	1635496​​

Comment

Originally posted by wilsondg View Post
                        I decided to try deleting the rogue node on HS4 as I couldn't remove it using remove bad node as it was still communicating. Maybe I missed a post or documentation somewhere, but I could not see how to delete a node on HS4 since there are two files, the JSON .nodes file and the .zwave file. Note that before I did anything I did a complete backup of HS4, and I did a backup of the ZNET interface. I copied the .nodes and .zwave files in case I wanted to restore my edited files back to the originals.

Since the JSON file is not formatted, it is hard to see the format of the file. I used an online formatter at https://jsonformatter.org/ to view the .nodes file formatted, so I could easily see the node and determine the format of what should be deleted in the node. I then edited the .nodes file in notepad, and removed the text that all belonged to the node 30 which in my case was the rogue node to be removed. I then edited the .zwave file and also removed the line for node 30. I then did a restore of the interface with the new files. I exited HS4, and then reloaded it and manually removed the node 30 device from the dashboard of HS4. I then tried the "Create Homeseer Devices" option to make sure that nothing new gets created. It worked great, as the bad node was not added again, and nothing new was added. This seems to work no problem. All I had to do is some optimization again with the nodes as the restore removed all the routing. I no longer have the rogue node, and everything else seems to be working as normal as before. Next is to backup everything again without the bad node.​
                        You can edit the file, then restore it to the controller, but this will erase all current routing info.

There are other methods to remove a bad node that is stubborn and will not remove through normal methods. Editing the backup file and restoring from it would be the last thing you should do. I will try to put together a post clarifying the methods as soon as I have time.
                        HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Thank you, I would appreciate the post. For me, erasing the routing information wasn't a problem as I was cleaning up my system anyways. It worked perfectly for me and it was how I had seen to do it with HS3 when only there was the zwave file. I would like to see the proper way to do it as I totally agree editing files is a brute force way of doing it, but it actually works as long as you can afford to lose the routing information.

Comment

I have another ghost node that is impossible to remove.In the HS log I see this:

Sep-27 14:53:13 Z-Wave Warning Node 3 requested multi channel capability for endpoint 1 but there was an error generated in responding.
                            Sep-27 14:52:49 Z-Wave Warning Node 3 requested multi channel capability for endpoint 1 but there was an error generated in responding.

I made a backup of the interface and in both files (.nodes and .zwave) there was no nodeId=3. Weird right?

Anyone a solution for removing this one?

thanks, Cor​

Comment

Working...
                            X