ZNET Node Reset To Factory Fresh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ZNET Node Reset To Factory Fresh

I am trying to install a new network interface, and the ZNET always picks Node 1 when its enabled. Unfortunately that is the node of my primary controller so I wind up with 2 controllers on the same node. Nothing works correctly like that. I need to do some kind of a factory reset or other procedure so a new node is properly provisioned for it when its added. I tried all the available reset options, using the erase feature, as well as the 'r' entry using a keyboard. Every time I install it, it winds up on Node 1. There must be a way to get all of the settings back to factory fresh!

One method would be to take a backup of it or your primary, then edit the backup file to have only two entries, the first is the HomeID and the second is the node number. I have attached an example where I set the node number to 2. Then restore it from the backup. Assuming you are either going to make it a new network or a secondary controller. If you want it to be a new network, the example backup will probably work, unless you already have a Node 2.If you already have a node 2 change it to an unused number. If it is going to ba a secondary controller, the process will renumber it anyway.

ZNet_Backup.txt
    Attached Files
    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

I did try that many times, and in different ways, but it keeps coming back as node 1.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Haig View Post
        I did try that many times, and in different ways, but it keeps coming back as node 1.
        Are you try to add it as a secondary controller, or as a new network? On a new network it will always be at node 1. You can haveduplicate node numbers if they are on different HomeIDs. I neglected to think of that when I posted yesterday. If it is made a secondary (inclusion) controller it should be assigned an open node like a other Z-Wave device.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Haig View Post
          I am trying to install a new network interface, and the ZNET always picks Node 1 when its enabled. Unfortunately that is the node of my primary controller so I wind up with 2 controllers on the same node. Nothing works correctly like that. I need to do some kind of a factory reset or other procedure so a new node is properly provisioned for it when its added. I tried all the available reset options, using the erase feature, as well as the 'r' entry using a keyboard. Every time I install it, it winds up on Node 1. There must be a way to get all of the settings back to factory fresh!
          One other thing that is important to know. Pressing th ‘r’ key at boot up resets the home network settings (DHCP, IP, etc.) it does not have any effect on the Z-Wave network. The Z-Net’s SD card has nothing to do with Z-Wave. Z-Wave Information is stored in flash memory on the internal Z-Wave controller card.

Comment

I think what happened initially is I set it up as a secondary and accidently restored it to an image of my primary rather than syncing. I think that is where the node 1 got assigned and it, as that assignment seems to be quite sticky. Might I expect that even if the controller was setup as a primary (node1) in some prior installation, that when I add it as a secondary to a new system, it would be assigned the next available node? That's what I have been hoping for, but it does not appear to be working that way. I would of course have erased it on my test system prior to adding it but the test system always makes it a node one when I do so.

Comment

As I understand it, when adding a new controller as a secondary, it wil first be erased, then assigned the HomeID and a new open node number from the primary’s network. Then it will be synchronized with the primary controller.

I do do know that many others have struggled with getting it to work, but they finally got it to work. I never tried, opting for separate networks when I added controllers.

Comment

I was eventually able to do what I needed by changing the ID of the offending interface, by editing an export and then re-importing it. That enabled the 'Make' command which in turn properly created a new node. Thanks for your help!

Comment

This post was most helpful. The instructions and the sample worked perfectly. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                  X