Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remote Z-Net placement?

Greetings.

Building a home currently and will start wiring up and buying hardware in a couple months. My PC that will be hosting the HS VM will be located in my home office, which is sort of a tower room located above the main-floor master bedroom. The main floor of the home is where 90% of any wifi and z-wave devices will be located. There will also be an unfinished basement that we'll be adding to in time.

I am currently planning on getting a Z-Net for the remote placement functionality but don't want to make it an obvious "box" mounted to a wall nor do I want to make it hard to access since it may need replacement in time, etc.

One thought was to put it into a recess box in a wall (similar to a large switch box or an in-wall speaker housing) with a painted grill to help hide it. But I'm worried that would limit it's effectiveness. Another idea was to have it sitting on a book shelf nook in our living room or mounted under a desk that will be in the same general area.

But I'm wondering what others may suggest. I'm trying to keep it located pretty centered to where most sensors will be active, including some door locks and HW-100/200 light switches. But also keep it hidden without impacting functionality or access too much.

advTHANKSance!

I had one sitting behind my TV for a long time. It's a Raspberry Pi and they are small. Think about where you are going to have power and network and either place it there or run power + network to a nice location. Also keep in mind ventilation.

Comment

Got a coat or linen closet? Put a power outlet up higher on an inside wall and run a network cable close by. Hides easily inside the closet.

Comment

I've got one on top of the kitchen cabinets beyond anyone's view under 7 feet. Getting power up there was straightforward from the counter below.

I've got another inside an armoire pretty well hidden. Did have to drill a hole in the back to let in the power cord but wife didn't mind.

The one in the shop is just mounted on a wall with power plug running to it...yeah it's ugly but its in the shop so only I see it and I don't mind ugly in there.

Comment

Something to keep in mind is the LED is bloody bright. Have mine sitting on a HT receiver facing the rear of the bookcase in my living room and the green LED lights up the room at night. Orientation, filter film, tape, etc., can help. Upside is the red light is hard to miss if it's offline...although failed automations are typically a quicker notification anyway.
          -Wade

Comment

Thanks for the tip about the light. That is really good to know in advance.
            Also nice to hear that having it behind minor "shielding" such as a cabinet door doesn't sound like a big factor.

I wish these things were POE capable but it's not a big deal to provide power and network to a few good locations for the initial and possible additional units ( garage and basement ) if they seem needed down the road.

Comment

Just use a POE splitter (with a suitable DC adapter cable).

I use a TP-Link, but just found this https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01H37XQ..._t2_B001PS4NWW is available. Avoids the need for adapter cables. (Not tried it, but it looks useful.)

Comment

Working...
              X