Block Internet Access

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Block Internet Access

I am trying to clean up my internal device access to the internet. I now block all access from those devices to the internet with a commercial firewall. While this is a solution it is not a best practice policy since it leads to massive log entries. I could choose not to log those access attempts but I would loose insight to activities on my network. Each device should be able to limit it's access to specific networks. I cannot seem to find a solution to stop access of my z-net controller to the internet other than the firewall. Is there any way to turn off this access. I see about 20 attempts to access 40.76.43.114:8245 per minute. I also see several attempts per minute to 45.76.21.192:10300 from my Homeseer server.

On the Z-Net, 40.76.43.114 is "checkip.homeseer.com", which supports the find.homeseer.com service. This is initiated every five minutes via cron file /etc/cron.d/find. This can be disabled by deleting that file, or renaming it to "find~". The Z-Net will no longer appear on the find.homeseer.com page of course. Also, this disables the "HomeSeer Z_NET Ethernet" interface model connection method on the Z-Wave Controllers page, so you'll need to use the "Ethernet Interface" model instead.

45.76.21.192 is "connected.homeseer.com", which is the backend for the myhs.homeseer.com service. Try disabling that service in setup and see if that access stops.

Comment

When I browse to the z-net IP I only get the network config page Z-NET V2 Configuration - Version 1.0.23. How do I connect to it? Do I use SSH and if so what do I use for a user and password?

Comment

Originally posted by kkwoodbrey View Post
        ... Do I use SSH and if so what do I use for a user and password?[/B][/COLOR]
        Yes, use SSH.

U: pi
        P: raspberry

Become root user
        sudo su -
        P: raspberry

As root run the following commands
        cd /etc/cron.d/

ls -la

move ./find ./find.backup

ls -la

Comment

Thanks for the help, my z-net is completely silent now. The homeseer server is still polling 40.76.43.114:8245 every few minutes but not 45.76.21.192 anymore.

Comment

For that last one, try this: go to Tools->Setup, then on the Labs tab, uncheck the last item, "Use find.homeseer.com to find your HomeSeer system".

Comment

Wow, now I have my video cameras and my home automation behaving themselves. Onwards to the rest of the IoT devices. Thanks to both of you for the help!

Comment

Working...
              X