How can I best test a used Z-Net

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How can I best test a used Z-Net

I have just bought a used Z-Net. I need to test it to see if it works. I have a working Z-Net on my system, how do I best test the new Z-Net without erasing all my routing ? At the moment I am thinking of just keeping it in the drawer as a backup for my one, just in case anything happens to it. As far as I am aware, if I backup my Z-Net, and restore to the new one, all routing will be deleted. I have around 70 nodes on my system.

If most of your devices are z-wave+, then the routing should re-establish itself. However, you can restore to your new one, test it to make sure the base functionality is good, and then just go back to your existing one which will have all of the routing tables still.
    HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
    Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Ok so the routing table is stored on the Z-Net ? I have a mix of zwave+ and older zwave devices. Slowly trying to phase them out but there still are quite a few in my system.

Comment

I would add the new Z-Net as a new network. This verifies all the Raspberry Pi functionality, as well as the communication path to the Z-Wave controller. Then to test the RF side, just include a node (assume you have a spare something laying around) and do some basic checks that it operates correctly. Once complete, un-include the node so it will be ready for future use.

I believe the routing table only exists in the Z-Wave plugin, not the Z-Net.

Comment

Originally posted by mikee123 View Post
          Ok so the routing table is stored on the Z-Net ?
          AFAIK Yes. Looks like zwolfpack's understanding is different.
          HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
          Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Originally posted by zwolfpack View Post
            I would add the new Z-Net as a new network. This verifies all the Raspberry Pi functionality, as well as the communication path to the Z-Wave controller. Then to test the RF side, just include a node (assume you have a spare something laying around) and do some basic checks that it operates correctly. Once complete, un-include the node so it will be ready for future use.

I believe the routing table only exists in the Z-Wave plugin, not the Z-Net.
            Yes I have a few spare on/off modules I could use to test. After excluding the test module, how do I delete the new network ?

Comment

Start out by connecting the new Z-Net to your network, then go to find.homeseer.com. Hopefully you will see it. You might want open the Z-Net's config page and rename it something clever, for example "Z-Spare".

If it doesn't show up on find.homeseer.com, try the network reset trick. Plug in a USB keyboard in, then power up the Z-Net. While the LED is amber, press the R key then the Enter key within 10 seconds. Successful reset is indicated by the LED turning green. Cycle power, wait minute or so, then check find.homeseer.com again.

To add an interface, go to Plugins->Z-Wave->Controller Management then click 'Add Interface'. Give the interface a name, select Interface Model "HomeSeer Z-Net Ethernet", and under Choose Interface, select the new Z-Net's name. If you don't use find.homeseer.com, you can instead select Interface Model "Ethernet Interface", enter the IP address of the Z-Net and set port to 2001. Click Add, then click where it says "Click to Enable". If all goes well, you should get a green check mark icon.

Next, add your test victim node, using either the "Actions" selector for the new controller, or using Z-Tool+. If it adds OK, everything is working. You might try operating the node, maybe try to get an idea of the range.

Next, remove the node. Again, use the "Actions" selector or Z-Tool+, just like you would for any other node.

To delete the interface, click on the green check mark icon to disable it, then click on the red X icon below the interface name.

Lastly, go to the Plugins->Manage page and disable and re-enable the Z-Wave plugin. Now return to the Z-Wave-Controller Management page and expand the "Z-Wave Networks and Options". There will probably be a "dead" entry for the network you just deleted. click "Remove Network", confirm delete, and you are back to where you started.

Comment

Ok thats sounds easy enough. Will try when I receive it in the next few days.

Comment

Something is going wrong. All is working fine, I created a new interface, named it test. But when I tried to add a spare module, I noticed a odd message. It said included node 88 (strange already) but then it said cannot find node 88 in interface. Looking at the zwave network and node information, it seems to be wanting to be another primary controller for my network. I cannot untick the 'this is the main interface for...'. Also above under Z-Wave Networks and Options there is only the home id for my existing network listed (New Interface). The ZNet is green, and I can find it with find.homeseer.com (its firmware .22, updating does not seem to work)
                  The new ZNet I am testing is called Test on the attached picture

Attached Files

Comment

It still has a bunch of nodes left over from its old home. (On reflection, we should probably have anticipated that since its used!)

You probably want to "erase this interface and create a new network"​.

Click image for larger version  Name:	zwave erase.PNG Views:	0 Size:	66.0 KB ID:	1308740

Comment

Regarding updating, when you go to the Z-Net web page from find.homeseer, does the banner say "Z-NET Configuration" or "Z-NET V2 Configuration" ?

If the former, the older "V1" update is messed up in that the updater says 1.0.23 but the pages themselves say 1.0.22. So it will always say an update is available but its not.

Comment

It still has a bunch of nodes left over from its old home. (On reflection, we should probably have anticipated that since its used!)

You probably want to "erase this interface and create a new network"​.

Click image for larger version Name:	zwave erase.PNG Views:	0 Size:	66.0 KB ID:	1308740
                        Yes I did see that, clicked on it and it warned me that none of my nodes will be discoverable after... and as it has the same home id, I was worried of loosing everything... So I did not dare to erase it unless I know its not going to mess up my current network

Comment

Regarding updating, when you go to the Z-Net web page from find.homeseer, does the banner say "Z-NET Configuration" or "Z-NET V2 Configuration" ?

If the former, the older "V1" update is messed up in that the updater says 1.0.23 but the pages themselves say 1.0.22. So it will always say an update is available but its not.
                          I think its the old V1

see pic

Attached Files

Comment

I'm not sure why the two HomeID's are the same - that does seem odd. I think its OK, but make sure to back up before proceeding.

Comment

This is whats worrying me, why I havent erased the network... see the tick on the Test interface, make this the MAIN interface for... and above there is just one homeID
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X