HELP! Broken my Z-Net

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP! Broken my Z-Net

Long story short, I connected to my Z-Net via putty thinking it was a different Raspberry PI. I ran some updates etc that I needed to get the RaspberryIO plugin working and now have suddenly realised I've been using my Z-Net, not my other Raspberry PI.

Now I am getting errors in the log:
    Sep-11 14:39:02 Z-Wave Warning Z-Wave Interface Z-Net (Node 1) on Network 000162FD FAILED initialization with the message: Failed to connect to interface at 172.16.5.8, will keep trying.
    Sep-11 14:39:02 Z-Wave Error Z-Net: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxx
    Sep-11 14:39:02 Z-Wave Error Z-Net: Failed to connect to interface at 172.16.5.8
    Sep-11 14:39:02 Z-Wave Error Z-Net: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxx
    Sep-11 14:38:52 Z-Wave Warning Z-Net: Cannot connect to Z-Wave Ethernet at IP 172.16.5.8 port: 2001, Ex=No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it 172.16.5.8:2001
    Sep-11 14:38:50 Z-Wave Z-Net: The Z-Wave Command Execution Thread was Started or Restarted.
    Sep-11 14:38:50 Z-Wave Z-Net: ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sep-11 14:38:50 Z-Wave Initializing Z-Wave interface Z-Net (HomeSeer Z-NET Ethernet) at 172.16.5.8, port 2001
    Sep-11 14:38:50 Z-Wave Z-Net: ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sep-11 14:38:50 Z-Wave Z-Net: ============================================================ ==========
    Sep-11 14:38:46 Z-Wave Warning Z-Wave Interface Z-Net (Node 1) on Network 000162FD FAILED initialization with the message: Failed to connect to interface at 172.16.5.8, will keep trying.
    Sep-11 14:38:46 Z-Wave Error Z-Net: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxx
    Sep-11 14:38:46 Z-Wave Error Z-Net: Failed to connect to interface at 172.16.5.8
    Sep-11 14:38:46 Z-Wave Error Z-Net: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxx
    Sep-11 14:38:36 Z-Wave Warning Z-Net: Cannot connect to Z-Wave Ethernet at IP 172.16.5.8 port: 2001, Ex=No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it 172.16.5.8:2001
    I was following this tutorial to get Raspberry IO running and had run all the commands (including updating Mono).

I've tried restarting and have confirmed the IP address is correct.. but no dice.

If I go to http://find.homeseer.com/findhomeseer/ the Z-net is showing and I can connect to it's web interface. I can see it's configured correctly.

How do I get my Z-Net back up and running please? I feel like a right plonker.

<edit> I don't know much about Pi's.. I can follow a basic tutorial like the above, but not much else.. hence my inability to fix it.

Easiest way would be to restore the image to the built-in SD card. If you made a backup, then just copy it back. If you didn't, here's a link to the image: http://homeseer.com/updates3/znet_v2.img. You can use a tool like Win32DiskImager to write it to the SD card. All of your z-wave network info is on the daughter card in the z-net, so no risk of losing network settings.
    HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
    Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Great, thanks. How do you get the SD card out? I can't see an access place?

Comment

Originally posted by MFULLER View Post
        Great, thanks. How do you get the SD card out? I can't see an access place?
        You have to open the case. Should be 4 screws on the bottom.

Comment

Righ'o.. got it. Thanks. Downloading image now..

I really should have a spare Z-Net for emergencies. Literally nothing works in the house without it :P

Comment

I take it the UK and US images are the same because it's only the dongle that's different?

Comment

Getting "An error occured when attempting to write data to handle. Error 5: Access is denied" when trying to write the image to the SD card.

I've run the W32DiskImage software as administrator but it's not letting me do it :\

Comment

OK, got it working by removing and re-adding a few times.

Put the card back into the Z-Net and after a little messing around trying to get it's to take a static IP, it's now up and running again.

Thanks so much for your help Sparkman.. very much appreciated.

Comment

OK, got it working by removing and re-adding a few times.

Put the card back into the Z-Net and after a little messing around trying to get it's to take a static IP, it's now up and running again.

Thanks so much for your help Sparkman.. very much appreciated.
                  Glad to hear and you're welcome!

Comment

Righ'o.. got it. Thanks. Downloading image now..

I really should have a spare Z-Net for emergencies. Literally nothing works in the house without it :P
                    You don't need a spare Z-Net. Just do 2 things 1) Pick a high quality SD card (SanDisk, Samsung), buy 2. You'll probably find the 16GB to be the best price point. Image both of them and attach a spare to the Z-Net.

You can also notch the bottom cover to make card access easier.

Since I switched to good quality cards, I have not had a corruption, but if I do, I have a spare card to slip in.

With regard to IP addresses, if you set the address by DHCP reservation in your router, you will not need to fiddle with a static IP, just put a freshly imaged card in and power it up. It will come back at the assigned IP.
                    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by sparkman View Post
                      Easiest way would be to restore the image to the built-in SD card. If you made a backup, then just copy it back. If you didn't, here's a link to the image: http://homeseer.com/updates3/znet_v2.img. You can use a tool like Win32DiskImager to write it to the SD card. All of your z-wave network info is on the daughter card in the z-net, so no risk of losing network settings.
                      I would like to understand the Z-Net better. I have been having some issues with mine and have been looking into backing up the internal SD card. From what you write, there is nothing on the SD card unique to my set up. Is this correct? The daughter card has my unique set up. I know that the node information is stored elsewhere. So, if I have the image file that you provided the link to, is there any reason to backup the SD card on my Z-Net? Thanks. Elliott
                      "Living with technology means living in a [constant] state of flux." S. Higgenbotham, 2023
                      "Reboot and rejoice!" F. Pishotta, 1989

Comment

Originally posted by Richel View Post

I would like to understand the Z-Net better. I have been having some issues with mine and have been looking into backing up the internal SD card. From what you write, there is nothing on the SD card unique to my set up. Is this correct? The daughter card has my unique set up. I know that the node information is stored elsewhere. So, if I have the image file that you provided the link to, is there any reason to backup the SD card on my Z-Net? Thanks. Elliott
                        No, with the image, there's really no need. Unless you've made other mods/additions to the operating system, the only specific config on it would be the ip information. Restoring your own copy would eliminate the step of setting that again, but that is pretty rudimentary.

Comment

Originally posted by sparkman View Post

No, with the image, there's really no need. Unless you've made other mods/additions to the operating system, the only specific config on it would be the ip information. Restoring your own copy would eliminate the step of setting that again, but that is pretty rudimentary.
                          Thanks! Elliott
                          "Living with technology means living in a [constant] state of flux." S. Higgenbotham, 2023
                          "Reboot and rejoice!" F. Pishotta, 1989

Comment

Here is a question. Homeseer support have answered (obviously it's already fixed) and said that I should not have been able to access the Linux system as they don't give it the password. Is that true? Cause I certainly got access.

Comment

Here is a question. Homeseer support have answered (obviously it's already fixed) and said that I should not have been able to access the Linux system as they don't give it the password. Is that true? Cause I certainly got access.
                              No, thats not true. They have always provided the password for SSH access.
                              HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
                              54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
                              Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Working...
                              X