Migration from ZTroller to Z-Net fiasco

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Migration from ZTroller to Z-Net fiasco

I’ve been satisfied with HS3 over the 7+ years I’ve been on it, it’s had its ups and downs, but in general, HS3 has the power to do what I need and I’m technical enough to deal with the peculiarities of the system.

However, my recent experience with what should have been a reasonably simple process has really soured me on this solution. I was about to pay for the upgrade to HS4, but now re-thinking if I want to invest the hundreds of man-hours it’s likely to take to have a working, stable system.

I needed to migrate to a PC, as the one running HS3 was approaching the 10-year mark, and while still working well, it was likely to have some significant component failure, so I deployed a new Win 10 Pro dedicated machine. Since the new box lacked a serial port, and I had a brand new (purchased a year or two ago) Z-Net sitting there, I was forced into migrating from the ZTroller to the Z-Net interface. And that’s the root of my issues.

I’m running HS3 .548 and the 3.0.1.252 Zwave plug-in.
    I brought across all the files from the old deployment and placed everything in the same locations in the new box, so no changes there, and the HS3 app came right up and was happy as a clam.

I followed the instructions for deploying a new Z-Net as an update to an existing controller, and by-and-large that worked smoothly, so my expectations were high. Right away, I was able to control the hardwired Cooper Lighting Zwave switches. As well as many of the non-zwave (mostly network controlled stuff like the GlobalCahe boxes). But with 64 Z-Wave devices, many of which are battery-based devices, I was not out of the woods yet.

None of the 2 hardwired controllers (Cooper Scene controllers) were working, as they were still associated with Node 15 (ZTroller) not the new primary Z-Net controller (node 1). I was able to get those working through a combination of rescans and deleting the association of the old Ztroller. But having to do that for each and every button device was a royal pain in the a$$! But at least all the events associated with the buttons were preserved and work as before.

Where HS3 and Z-Net went totally off the rails is with the battery devices. None of them were working, I could ping them if I woke them up, but they were all still associated with the ZTroller node 15 (again, that device and interface do not exist in this new config). I was able to re-pair the HS200 multisensors, with a bunch of rescans and removing the association to node 15.

Where I’m stuck is with Door sensors (HS DS100+ and some AeonTec units), Garage door tilt sensors and a ZCOMBO smoke detector. Can’t get any of those to associate to the Z-Net, they remain stuck associated to the old node 15. Same with an AeonTec 4-button mobile controller.

What is the correct procedure to get these re-paired with the Z-Net?

And why is a user forced to jump through so many hoops for a simple controller change, both of which are HomeSeer products?

Will the migration to HS4 be more of the same? Or should one plan for a full Nuke and repave?

One more question: How to deal with the orphaned ZTroller Node left in the DB?

All the wired devices, and a few battery ones I was able to rescan and re-associate are all pointing at node 1, but the rest of the battery devices still reference Node 15 in their association.

What can be done to correct those associations?

And once the rest of the devices are associated with node 1, what should be done with this Node 15 (the old Ztroller)?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Node15.png
Views:	65
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	1338592
    Attached Files

Comment

I transitioned from a Z-Troller to a Z-Net without issue and have helped several other people do the same. If you backed up your Z-Troller, disconnected it, connected your Z-Net and restored from the backup, everything should work as it was, except you might need to optimize routes for older devices.

It is odd that your Z-Troller is shown as node 15. Can you post a screenshot of your Z-Wave controller management page?
      Randy Prade
      Aurora, CO
      Prades.net

PHLocation - Pushover - EasyTrigger - UltraECM3 - Ultra1Wire3 - Arduino

Comment

What procedure did you follow in performing the migration? If you followed this (steps 2 & 5), I guess I'm a bit surprised that the ZTroller node came across.

You stated that you copied files from the old deployment, which is not per that procedure. It might help to purge the old Z-Wave database so you are starting fresh. Go to Plugins->Manage, then click on the Z-Wave plugin. On that page is a button 'Reset Z-Wave Data'. Mouse over that for a description of what that does.

If that fails to purge the unwanted node(s) as a last resort you can backup the interface, edit the backup file (look in <HS3 root>/Data/Z-Wave/*.ZWave) then restore that. The backup file consists of a list of nodes, node number being the 1st field of the comma separated fields. Delete the lines that you don't want restored.

As the backup doesn't contain any routing info, that'll need to be rebuilt after a restore (Z-Net installation guide linked above, steps 5.4 - 5.5).

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
          I transitioned from a Z-Troller to a Z-Net without issue and have helped several other people do the same. If you backed up your Z-Troller, disconnected it, connected your Z-Net and restored from the backup, everything should work as it was, except you might need to optimize routes for older devices.

It is odd that your Z-Troller is shown as node 15. Can you post a screenshot of your Z-Wave controller management page?
          Good to hear your transition went smoothly, it's pretty much what I expected as well.

I did perform optimizations and such post-migration, and for the wired devices the network has been steady.

Here is the Controller Management page, which looks pretty normal. My Z-Net is on a static IP (I'm a Networking guy, so I have a pretty solid network and know how to set them up).
          Have not had any issue with reaching the Z-Net nor with it reaching the wired nodes, it's mostly Click image for larger version

Name:	ZWaveNetwork.png
Views:	37
Size:	155.6 KB
ID:	1340066 been the orphaned or not cleanly migrated nodes (like the scene controllers)

Comment

Originally posted by zwolfpack View Post
            What procedure did you follow in performing the migration? If you followed this (steps 2 & 5), I guess I'm a bit surprised that the ZTroller node came across.
            I believe I followed those instructions very precisely, and from logs and resulting running Z-Net, it seemed to have worked in general.

You stated that you copied files from the old deployment, which is not per that procedure. It might help to purge the old Z-Wave database so you are starting fresh. Go to Plugins->Manage, then click on the Z-Wave plugin. On that page is a button 'Reset Z-Wave Data'. Mouse over that for a description of what that does.
            The comment of copying over had to do with the entire HomeSeer folder being migrated to the new computer, not something done during the transition from old ZTroller to new Z-Net.

I tried the Reset Z-Wave data thing you suggested, and that regressed the whole installation back to a state that was about as bad as right after the transition. For instance, it undid all my work getting my scene controllers working again.
            I'm wary of losing a known working state, so I always back up the entire Homseer3 directory before ever do anything major (and often even for minor stuff), so I was able to get back to a known working state.
            So maybe that's a clue regarding the inconsistent state after the migration.

If that fails to purge the unwanted node(s) as a last resort you can backup the interface, edit the backup file (look in <HS3 root>/Data/Z-Wave/*.ZWave) then restore that. The backup file consists of a list of nodes, node number being the 1st field of the comma separated fields. Delete the lines that you don't want restored.

As the backup doesn't contain any routing info, that'll need to be rebuilt after a restore (Z-Net installation guide linked above, steps 5.4 - 5.5).
            Yep, Node 15 was still there after the Reset Data. And items like the controllers showed associations to both Node 15 and to Node 1.

Even after years of using HS3, I still struggle to understand the model for the Zwave system. Has a good explanation been posted regarding the relationships between Devices, ZWave nodes and what and where data is stored? And just as importantly what actions lead to the recreation of one or the other piece of data.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

More progress cleaning up the mess, I now have cleared out most of the orphaned devices and old units that were no longer part of the network and managed to re-associate all my battery-powered devices.
              To get most of the battery devices re-enrolled required unmounting them from the locations (eg doors) and bringing them with a foot or two of the Z-Net, then waking them up and performing multiple scans until the device was fully re-discovered, re-associated and sending data. Man what a pain that was.

I still have some issues with HS100 multisensors creating phantom additional temperature child-nodes, but not all of them do that.

Each time I perform a major step, I stop HS3 and carefully back up the entire HS3 folder just in case.

There was still a problem data wise, as during re-enrolling, devices were associated with Node 1 (the Z-Net) and Node 15 (the phantom left-over node ID of the old ZTroller).
              I've nuked Node 15 out of the Z-Net .zwave data set, so it's not there. But turns out there was still a Device with that Node ID and name,

So after yet another back-up, I deleted the device entry for Node 15 via the main HS3 UI (zero log entries in the log from that action).

Then performed a 'Scan Existing Devices' in the Zwave controller management UI to really ensure the ZWave data set is all in synch. And sure enough, it recreated a bunch of children nodes (that were already there) and attempted to update associations, but thew this error for each and every scene controller button:
              "Warning: Associating scene button to HomeSeer failed - result is: ERROR - Association failed. Device may not support associations or could not be contacted."
              Luckily, the buttons and links to events still work, so not sure why the errors.

Now, I need to go back and re-enroll certain types of battery devices (door sensors and garage tilt-sensors, smoke alarms) as they still have an association to node 15.

Hopefully, after >12hrs, I'll be back to where I was before.

Comment

Working...
              X