Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best way to swap a Z-Net device to a new one

Hi

I am looking at the best way to replace a Z-Net with a new one without loosing all devices AND have the best z-wave network once replaced

Here are the steps I guess I should follow:

1- make a backup of the interface (already done)
    2- deactivate the old interface and deplug it from the network
    3- connect the new z-net to the network and configure it with a static Ip
    4- add the z-net to Hs3 via the z-wave plugin "add interface" button
    5- enable the new z-net
    6- restore the backup
    7- ????? should I do an Optimize, Full optimize or nothing ??? (I am alot confused at that step with all the contradictory posts on this forum)

thanks for the help

Everything looks good. For step 7, the latest thinking is to do as little optimizing as necessary to get a reliable network. I would do a single full optimize and manually optimize nodes (with return route) as needed.
    HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
    Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Replacing the z-net and restoring a z-wave backup to it, will I have to exclude/re-include all my Yales locks ?

Comment

Originally posted by goldriver View Post
        Replacing the z-net and restoring a z-wave backup to it, will I have to exclude/re-include all my Yales locks ?
        No, should not have to do so.
        HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
        Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

I posted this to a fresh thread as well, but thought I would ask here too, in case others may search / see it in the future. For some reason, when I follow the exact same steps as goldriver above, my new Z-net doesn't show "Restore Network" in the Actions menu in HS4. Anyone have any idea why?

Comment

One more thing I just noticed... which may help diagnose the issue: The HomeID for my original Z-wave network is not associated with the new Z-net. The new Z-net is associated with a new HomeID. I'm not really sure what that means, but my instinct is that it may be part of the issue.

Comment

What version of HS4 and the Z-Wave plugin are you running? Which exact Z-Net did you purchase?
              πŸ’β€β™‚οΈ Support & Customer Service πŸ™‹β€β™‚οΈ Sales Questions πŸ›’ Shop HomeSeer Products​

Comment

HS4 Pro 4.2.19.5
                Z-Net G3

Comment

Z-wave Plug-in 3.0.2.0

Comment

One point, that I find eminently unclear:

Step A
                    If one goes to Plugins > Z-Wave > Advanced Z-Wave Controller Functions there is a top line that says, "Tap CONTINUE to start the process to run an advanced controller function using the [your user interface] Z-Wave controller interface." There is no way to choose the correct controller on that page.

Step B
                    One must first go to Plugins > Z-Wave > Manage Interfaces and choose the correct controller, before going to (for example) Plugins > Z-Wave > Advanced Z-Wave Controller Functions

If, as stated, you find that "The HomeID for my original Z-wave network is not associated with the new Z-net." then you will need to go to Step B and choose the proper interface.

Additionally, you may want to research the practice of deleting an unused interface.
                    HomeSeer Version: HS4 Pro Edition 4.2.19.0 (Windows - Running as a Service)
                    Home Assistant 2024.3
                    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro - Desktop
                    Z-Wave Devices via two Z-Net G3s
                    Zigbee Devices via RaspBee on RPi 3b+
                    WiFi Devices via Internal Router.

Enabled Plug-Ins
                    AK GoogleCalendar 4.0.4.16,AK HomeAssistant 4.0.1.23,AK SmartDevice 4.0.5.1,AK Weather 4.0.5.181,AmbientWeather 3.0.1.9,Big6 3.44.0.0,BLBackup 2.0.64.0,BLGData 3.0.55.0,BLLock 3.0.39.0,BLUPS 2.0.26.0,Device History 4.5.1.1,EasyTrigger 3.0.0.76,Harmony Hub 4.0.14.0,HSBuddy 4.51.303.0,JowiHue 4.1.4.0,LG ThinQ 4.0.26.0,ONVIF Events 1.0.0.5,SDJ-Health 3.1.1.9,TPLinkSmartHome4 2022.12.30.0,UltraCID3 3.0.6681.34300,Z-Wave 4.1.3.0

Comment

Originally posted by ewkearns View Post
                      One point, that I find eminently unclear:

Step A
                      If one goes to Plugins > Z-Wave > Advanced Z-Wave Controller Functions there is a top line that says, "Tap CONTINUE to start the process to run an advanced controller function using the [your user interface] Z-Wave controller interface." There is no way to choose the correct controller on that page.

Step B
                      One must first go to Plugins > Z-Wave > Manage Interfaces and choose the correct controller, before going to (for example) Plugins > Z-Wave > Advanced Z-Wave Controller Functions

If, as stated, you find that "The HomeID for my original Z-wave network is not associated with the new Z-net." then you will need to go to Step B and choose the proper interface.

Additionally, you may want to research the practice of deleting an unused interface.
                      You’re describing the V4 plugin. He is running V3. In V3 it is Z-Wave networks and the restore option is in an actions drop-down under that controller.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	75
Size:	307.2 KB
ID:	1664764​
                      HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

I would highly recommend upgrading your Z-Wave plugin to the last version 3.0.10 as you will have to move here before moving to the 4.x version of the Z-Wave plugin which is required before moving to the new Z-Wave plus version of the plugin.
                        πŸ’β€β™‚οΈ Support & Customer Service πŸ™‹β€β™‚οΈ Sales Questions πŸ›’ Shop HomeSeer Products​

Comment

Well... this is odd. When I go to update the plugin, the screen grays out, but nothing else comes up on the screen. So, right now I cannot update the plug-in in HS4 Pro. Am I missing something? Hopefully its something that will make me smack my IT head!

Comment

Working...
                          X