Z-Net quits working, but no indications why

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Z-Net quits working, but no indications why

All, I'm hoping someone has encountered this issue that has a resolution. I couldn't find any forum discussion.

The last couple of weeks the Z-Wave devices controlled by by Z-Net quit responding for some unknown reason. Each command sent to a Z-Wave device returns an error in the log. Z-Net Plugin is enabled. Z-Net has a green check mark in controller management. Z-Net box itself has the green "connected" light. No errors in the Startup Log, Pinging the Z-Net IP is successful. When I test the node connectivity, every single node fails.

I can get it working again by disabling the plugin (version 3.0.1.252) and then re-enabling it

Anyone have an idea of why this is happening and how to correct it? The lack of reliability is having a significant impact on my WAF.

Thanks,

Forrest

Have you tried changing your ZNet name to make a unique name? I had a similar issue a while back. I don't think the firmware version is as much an issues is how HS3 is seeing your ZNET. Name it kesterf ZNet under Zwave > Controller management. Eventually I disabled my ZNet and added a new interface with a unique name, and changed to a new static IP address, and the connection issues went away.

Comment

It would be helpful to know a little more about your setup.

1. Software version on the Z-net (not the driver)?
      2. How is it connected the the network wired wireless?
      3. Logs from the server?
      4. How old it it?
      5. Have you logged into the Z-Net to look at logs?
      6. What is the topology of your Z-net? Is the mesh strong? Do you have multiple devices?

There are many things that could go wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by MattMan View Post
        Have you tried changing your ZNet name to make a unique name? I had a similar issue a while back. I don't think the firmware version is as much an issues is how HS3 is seeing your ZNET. Name it kesterf ZNet under Zwave > Controller management. Eventually I disabled my ZNet and added a new interface with a unique name, and changed to a new static IP address, and the connection issues went away.
        Device Name is "Z-Net-Garage" It has a static IP.

Comment

Originally posted by drhtmal View Post
          It would be helpful to know a little more about your setup.

1. Software version on the Z-net (not the driver)?
          2. How is it connected the the network wired wireless?
          3. Logs from the server?
          4. How old it it?
          5. Have you logged into the Z-Net to look at logs?
          6. What is the topology of your Z-net? Is the mesh strong? Do you have multiple devices?

There are many things that could go wrong.
          1. Software version on the Z-net (not the driver)? 1.0.23
          2. How is it connected the the network wired wireless? Static IP address wired with a cat 6 patch cable to a switch that's within a foot of the Z-Net
          3. Logs from the server? I accidentally cleared the log when resetting a filter shortly after I initiated the post. The problem has not returned since i posted. An excerpt of my startup log is below in case it helps.
          2/3/2020 9:58:21 PM ~!~Starting Plug-In~!~Z-Wave loaded in 1821 milliseconds
          2/3/2020 9:58:21 PM ~!~Plug-In~!~Finished initializing plug-in Z-Wave
          2/3/2020 9:58:21 PM ~!~Z-Wave~!~0 event actions were loaded from HomeSeer.
          2/3/2020 9:58:21 PM ~!~Z-Wave~!~0 event triggers were loaded from HomeSeer.
          2/3/2020 9:58:21 PM ~!~Z-Wave~!~Z-Net-Garage: ============================================================ ==========
          2/3/2020 9:58:21 PM ~!~Z-Wave~!~Z-Net-Garage: ----------------------------------------------------------------------
          2/3/2020 9:58:21 PM ~!~Z-Wave~!~Initializing Z-Wave interface Z-Net-Garage (HomeSeer Z-NET Ethernet) at 192.168.0.42, port 2001
          2/3/2020 9:58:21 PM ~!~Z-Wave~!~Z-Net-Garage: ----------------------------------------------------------------------
          2/3/2020 9:58:21 PM ~!~Z-Wave~!~Z-Net-Garage: The Z-Wave Command Execution Thread was Started or Restarted.
          2/3/2020 9:58:21 PM ~!~Z-Wave~!~Z-Net-Garage: Z-Wave Ethernet at IP 192.168.0.42, connected to interface ok.
          2/3/2020 9:58:22 PM ~!~Z-Wave~!~Z-Net-Garage: The Z-Wave API Execution Thread was Started or Restarted.
          2/3/2020 9:58:22 PM ~!~Z-Wave~!~Z-Net-Garage: Getting node information from controller...
          2/3/2020 9:58:24 PM ~!~Z-Wave~!~Z-Net-Garage: Controller Manufacturer: Express Controls, ID=0x2, Type=0x5
          2/3/2020 9:58:24 PM ~!~Z-Wave~!~Z-Net-Garage: Controller firmware version: 4.32
          2/3/2020 9:58:24 PM ~!~Z-Wave~!~Z-Net-Garage: Z-Wave services for the SECURITY COMMAND CLASS were successfully started.
          2/3/2020 9:58:24 PM ~!~Z-Wave~!~Z-Net-Garage: Z-Wave Serial API version: 5
          2/3/2020 9:58:24 PM ~!~Z-Wave~!~Z-Net-Garage: Z-Wave interface node ID: 1, Home ID: AAAAAAAA
          2/3/2020 9:58:24 PM ~!~Z-Wave~!~Z-Net-Garage: Found 21 Z-Wave nodes in interface node ID 1 (Z-Net-Garage)
          2/3/2020 9:58:24 PM ~!~Z-Wave~!~The interface's security support has been set.
          2/3/2020 9:58:24 PM ~!~Z-Wave~!~Z-Net-Garage Controller chip type is ZW050x.
          2/3/2020 9:58:24 PM ~!~Z-Wave~!~Z-Net-Garage Controller is static lib.
          2/3/2020 9:58:24 PM ~!~Z-Wave~!~Z-Net-Garage There is a SUC/SIS in the network.
          2/3/2020 9:58:24 PM ~!~Z-Wave~!~Z-Net-Garage is the SIS for the network.
          2/3/2020 9:58:24 PM ~!~Z-Wave~!~Z-Net-Garage: ............................................................ ..........
          2/3/2020 9:58:24 PM ~!~Z-Wave~!~Z-Net-Garage: .............................. FINISHED ..............................
          2/3/2020 9:58:24 PM ~!~Z-Wave~!~Z-Net-Garage: ............................................................ .........

4. How old it it? Purchased Dec 2016. Replaced a failed Z-Net
          5. Have you logged into the Z-Net to look at logs? No. I don't how to do this. It doesn't appear to be accessible from the Z-Net's web Page
          6. What is the topology of your Z-net? Is the mesh strong? Do you have multiple devices? 14 Active Nodes. All Within 600 SF area with at most 1 wood framed wall between the Z-Net and the device

Comment

I've been living with the same problem for many years. To fix it, I usually had to "Restart THIS Interface" almost daily (sometimes twice a day). If that doesn't work, I do a disable-enable Z-Wave plug-in. If and when I get the time, I do a factory reset on my HomeTroller S6 Pro and start everything from scratch (I've done this more or less a dozen times). Then my network starts performing smoothly for a while and then starts acting up again. All along I thought it was a defective Z-Net interface. However, after swapping the Z-net interfaces (I have 3 at the moment), the problem moved from 1 controller to the other. Then I would have to do the whole cycle again.

Recently, I believe I might have found the culprit. I observed that whenever there is a defective device (either not added to the network successfully or the device has gone bad over time) connected to the Z-Net interface on a particular floor (e.g. upper ground floor), that's when the Z-Net starts acting up. So what I did was remove all the device(s) from the network, ERASE This Interface and Create a New Network, and then re-add/include all my devices back EXCEPT for the defective ones (I have 5 Fibaro wall plugs and a couple of Domitec bulbs that have gone bad over time). Now all is well in my smarthome.

I hope this helps.

Note: Please keep in mind that when a device is powered off, it sometimes has the same effect as a defective one (in my experience anyway).

Comment

Have you tried replacing the SD card in the ZNet? To do that the ZNet has to have been backed up so you can restore it after you write the Homeseer image to the ZNet SD card.You can find the SD card image and instructions here on the forums. That just might fix you up.

Comment

Working...
              X