ZWave 3.0.2.0 has made my network unusable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ZWave 3.0.2.0 has made my network unusable

I've been running Zwave for years, without a problem. Suddenly, I'm getting various messages about devices not being reachable, not responding, etc. What I've found is the my Z-Wave network is completely garbled.

I have one network with two controllers (big house, lots of distance). One is in the garage, for the first floor and the north end of the house. The second is in the basement, for the south end of the house and numerous devices that are physically close to the controller. What's now happening is that the devices close to the basement controller aren't responding. A little detective work discovered that's because the garage controller seems to be the only one that is used.

Note: I replaced both Z-Nets with the latest models, just to remove any doubt. Waste of money.

Some details: both controllers are on the same Home Id. The garage controller is listed as the Main interface. However, the basement controller is show with a check mark next to "Make this the MAIN interface." There is no way to remove that check mark. WTF?

At startup, The log reports that "ZNETGarage There is a SUC/SIS in the network" and "ZNETGarage is the SIS for the network.." A few seconds later it reports "ZNETBasement There is a SUC/SIS in the network." and "ZNETBasement is the SIS for the network." Huh?

In Node information, the Z-NET in the garage is the first device listed. The Basement Z-Net is device 22. However, throughout the listing there is this message "(Interface 22 Not Found)." Everything is routed from the Z-NET in the garage, sometimes through several nodes. Many of those commands never make it, so the log is full of "4/26/2020 17:34:25 Legacy-Plugin Z-Wave Error Failed sending Z-Wave command to device: Pond Basement Pond Fill," a device that is almost six feet away from the Basement Z-NET device.

I'm running HS 4.0.4.0 beta. I tried reverting to HS3, but the screwed up Z-wave network is retained.

I've been running some version of HS since 1999. I was reluctant to switch to Z-Wave, largely because it is so complex and iffy. I cannot afford to have a home automation network that is unreliable. I trusted HomeSeer, and now I'm very sorry I did. I have numerous HS installations in the area, and I'm now in search of a home automation solution that is RELIABLE.

Originally posted by rloeb View Post
    I've been running Zwave for years, without a problem. Suddenly, I'm getting various messages about devices not being reachable, not responding, etc. What I've found is the my Z-Wave network is completely garbled.

I have one network with two controllers (big house, lots of distance). One is in the garage, for the first floor and the north end of the house. The second is in the basement, for the south end of the house and numerous devices that are physically close to the controller. What's now happening is that the devices close to the basement controller aren't responding. A little detective work discovered that's because the garage controller seems to be the only one that is used.

Note: I replaced both Z-Nets with the latest models, just to remove any doubt. Waste of money.

Some details: both controllers are on the same Home Id. The garage controller is listed as the Main interface. However, the basement controller is show with a check mark next to "Make this the MAIN interface." There is no way to remove that check mark. WTF?

At startup, The log reports that "ZNETGarage There is a SUC/SIS in the network" and "ZNETGarage is the SIS for the network.." A few seconds later it reports "ZNETBasement There is a SUC/SIS in the network." and "ZNETBasement is the SIS for the network." Huh?

In Node information, the Z-NET in the garage is the first device listed. The Basement Z-Net is device 22. However, throughout the listing there is this message "(Interface 22 Not Found)." Everything is routed from the Z-NET in the garage, sometimes through several nodes. Many of those commands never make it, so the log is full of "4/26/2020 17:34:25 Legacy-Plugin Z-Wave Error Failed sending Z-Wave command to device: Pond Basement Pond Fill," a device that is almost six feet away from the Basement Z-NET device.

I'm running HS 4.0.4.0 beta. I tried reverting to HS3, but the screwed up Z-wave network is retained.

I've been running some version of HS since 1999. I was reluctant to switch to Z-Wave, largely because it is so complex and iffy. I cannot afford to have a home automation network that is unreliable. I trusted HomeSeer, and now I'm very sorry I did. I have numerous HS installations in the area, and I'm now in search of a home automation solution that is RELIABLE.
    I don’t have any advice to offer.

However, I attempted to move my network over to a Smartstick using hs4 and had weird problems and devices that went missing on their own.

It may of just been the lack of knowledge and switching between different z-wave versions, I don’t know...

Comment

Tried everything multiple times. Still insists 2nd Z-NET isn't a secondary controller. Opened help desk ticket 'cause nothing works with HS :-( Sprinklers, lights, alarms, access sensors, even the driveway gate. Stupid of me to put so much dependence on this kind of technology.

Comment

Tried everything multiple times. Still insists 2nd Z-NET isn't a secondary controller. Opened help desk ticket 'cause nothing works with HS :-( Sprinklers, lights, alarms, access sensors, even the driveway gate. Stupid of me to put so much dependence on this kind of technology.
        This would be extremely frustrating at the least.

At least when installing this stuff, did you allow normal physical access to everything. Meaning, if a light stop working you could just hit the paddle swith like you would normally?

Comment

<snip>

Any update on your situation? I too have recently noticed a number of missed events, lights aren't coming on or turning off when programmed, double and triple up or down clicks on my HS dimmers and switches don't work. The log reports "Failed sending Z-Wave command to device:"

All HS devices are on the latest firmware as is the controller and I've rebooted everything a few times including the dimmers and switches.

I too have alot invested in HS and it's discouraging that the system has become unreliable...

Comment

About a week ago, even though my zWave network has not yet grown too large, I'm procrastinating in growing more HS3 functionality until HS4 becomes stable.

HS3 stopped controlling the devices. When I ran Z-Seer+ to re optimize the network it came up with every device unreachable even through routing. I restarted HS, restarted the PC and was about to trash everything when the old fashioned Power Off occurred to me. I turned off the machine, unplugged the Z-Stick, for grins, counted to 10, plugged back in and powered on. Voila, Z-Wave network all authenticated and had been working well since then.

Not sure what caused it but you've said you've rebooted, but have you powered off/on?

Comment

Originally posted by George View Post

Not sure what caused it but you've said you've rebooted, but have you powered off/on?
              Yes, tried everything. Rebooted, powered off/on the controller and ever the entire power to the house so the HS switches and dimmers would reboot also.

What's odd to me is Z-Wave creates a mesh network and the more devices on the network the stronger it's suppose to get. It was my understanding the Z-Wave protocol was designed for message delivery confirmation. I'm going to invest in the troubleshooting software for $60 to see what more I can learn but it would seam the controller is trying to reach certain nodes that just don't respond in an allotted time then the controller gives up indicating it can't reach a node.

Comment

I started this thread a bit over two months ago and my problems have only gotten worse. I deleted my secondary controller after erasing it (which is supposed to create a new network but doesn't). When I add it back in, it becomes the SUC/SIS for the existing network, which already has one! I have devices that I can reach with "test connectivity" but that fail when I actually send a command. Now, in HS4, I have an even greater disaster: all of the devices appear twice, once with the name I assigned and once with a generic name, and pretty much nothing works. Fortunately, I have some old X-10 devices and I've used those to control the most critical devices in my network. I've been a fan of HS for over 20 years and installed dozens of systems for other people, but I now wish there were a reasonable alternative 'cause this is a nightmare. (And the interface for HS4 is ridiculous -- it's designed for a phone and is painful on a big screen.)

Comment

I have been installing HS for about two years and have 34 systems on-line (we are a smart home integrator). Most systems have between 20-80 switches. About 9-10 months ago every system I installed would run single light commands without issue, but any events addressing multiple lights would run SUPER SLOW and throw lots of errors ("Failed Sending Z-Wave Command to Device"). I have asked HomeSeer about it and they say that you cannot address more than three lights at a time without programming in a delay. That did not use to be the case. I have switched brands of zwave switches to no avail. Thought maybe running the software on a beefier Raspberry Pi might fix the issue, but it doesn't. It happens on HS3 and HS4. Moving to the Beefier Pi4 has made the error processing faster so there is some benefit to it, but if I try to control 5 lights at once (like a command to turn off all the lights in the kitchen) the system generates errors and slows down. Don't know what happened. It didn't use to be this way. Homeseer has told me I am the only person they have heard of having this issue which doesn't seem possible - espically since it is happening on all the systems we now install. It's simply not a viable platform for us going forward.

Comment

I have lots of events with more than 3 lights on a network of 90 devices and rarely do I see that message...

Ally wall dinners are WD200s, so maybe 60%or more are zwave plus. I optimized those for direct routes back to my 1 znet and made sure polling was off.

That 3 light thing is BS...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Tomgru View Post

That 3 light thing is BS...
                      I'm calling BS on this one, too. I have some events, for example, shutting down my ManCave where 7 lights, a fan, 3+ Harmony Hub devices, and a thermostat all change state within a second or two. I have 87 nodes and 961 devices. I am not, however, using anything close to a Raspberry Pi to power the system. Could the Raspberry Pi be the weak link?
                      HomeSeer Version: HS4 Pro Edition 4.2.19.0 (Windows - Running as a Service)
                      Home Assistant 2024.3
                      Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro - Desktop
                      Z-Wave Devices via two Z-Net G3s
                      Zigbee Devices via RaspBee on RPi 3b+
                      WiFi Devices via Internal Router.

Enabled Plug-Ins
                      AK GoogleCalendar 4.0.4.16,AK HomeAssistant 4.0.1.23,AK SmartDevice 4.0.5.1,AK Weather 4.0.5.181,AmbientWeather 3.0.1.9,Big6 3.44.0.0,BLBackup 2.0.64.0,BLGData 3.0.55.0,BLLock 3.0.39.0,BLUPS 2.0.26.0,Device History 4.5.1.1,EasyTrigger 3.0.0.76,Harmony Hub 4.0.14.0,HSBuddy 4.51.303.0,JowiHue 4.1.4.0,LG ThinQ 4.0.26.0,ONVIF Events 1.0.0.5,SDJ-Health 3.1.1.9,TPLinkSmartHome4 2022.12.30.0,UltraCID3 3.0.6681.34300,Z-Wave 4.1.3.0

Comment

Pittsburgh Guy Are you using EasyTrigger plugin? I am trying to get to the point where I can offer HS as lower end home automation system for customers. I have fairly large system that I was lucky to set up and use for testing and learning purposes with more than 2200 devices. Some of them are status devices.

I have experienced similar issues. You are NOT alone.

As an example, there are 11 light switches in basement rec room. When I was experimenting with all ON and all OFF for this room it did not go well at all. System would struggle and sometimes would hang up for a minute before continuing with it's tasks. Unfortunately all other events would be stuck as well causing a lot of other problem.

EasyTrigger plugin is solution for me for two reasons. In group of lights you can specify to turn OFF only lights that are ON and you can specify delay between each step.

I think Z-wave network just gets overwhelmed in my case when I try to turn on or off many lights at the same time and some other activities are happening at the same time (I have a lot of motion sensors and a lot people can be moving around the house as it is Airbnb rental).

Delay solved that issue for me and nobody really cares if lights are turning off with some delay as opposed to all at the same time. If someone insists on details like that, they should probably get different lighting system such as Lutron. Lutron works great with HS and it is just another option or upgrade that can be used with both higher end and lowed end home automation systems.

And NO, it is not hardware problem that HS is running on.. I run that system in pretty good PC that is probably overkill for HS but that just me.. Computers don't like to be pushed to limits.

Comment

EasyTrigger plugin is solution for me for two reasons. In group of lights you can specify to turn OFF only lights that are ON and you can specify delay between each step.
                          Could you provide an example of how to do this? I see in easy trigger the "set group of devices to expression" but what expression do you use? Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Pittsburgh Guy View Post
                            It didn't use to be this way. Homeseer has told me I am the only person they have heard of having this issue which doesn't seem possible
                            You are NOT alone. I had events that, for example, used to turn off or on a whole bunch of things (lights, devices, etc) when arming and disarming my security - over time (Z-Wave plugin updates, HS updates, unsure what) this began breaking. Instead of things instantly happening at once things began to suffer delays or even fail.

Was also told I am alone and to only have ONE device begin changed per event - so I now do that. I also have every single event always checking the device it is about to check to ensure only Z-Wave traffic that absolutely must be transmitted is. I have also dome many optimisation tweaks (you'll even find a thread somewhere where I followed HST's advise and it completely destroyed my system).

I have things working 90% with random delays and failures 10% of the time. Frustrating and disappointing I just accept it for what it is, but annoys me to no end. Most recent change, ironically, is exactly what you and others also suggest.... spacing transmissions out. So there are now intentional delays in various events to minimise congestion.

Bit disappointing I have so many hacks in place to make it work smoother, but it has helped.... but ultimately compensating for something that has gone downhill a little?

Comment

Tillsy Can you elaborate more on where "intentional delays in various events". Is just in your system? Are they implemented by HST or in various plug-ins? Just curious.
                              Word you answer carefully. You know you tend to get in trouble easily..

Comment

Working...
                              X