Screwed up Z-Net

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Screwed up Z-Net

A couple of days ago I had an IP conflict between one of my touchscreens and another device, which I traced to one of my Z-Nets. I had set this Z-Net up with a static IP address. Running arp -a I found that the conflict was that both devices were competing for XXX.XXX.XX.15.I had set the touchscreen's
    IP to XXX.XXX.XX.15 and the Z-Net to XXX.XXX.XX.45. I suspected that the wireless part of the Z-Net was the culprit, going my the MAC identity found when running arp -a. I logged on to the Z-Net, decided to reset it, and now it won't communicate with HomeSeer, and the web page is unreachable, although, using find.homeseer.com sees the Z-Net.

Is there any way to troubleshoot this?

Thanks.
    Don

I recommend against using the Z-Net web interface to set a static address. The implementation they use is incorrect (deprecated) for the OS version its on. While it does set the static address, it doesn't disable the DHCP client. The result is that it ends up with two addresses, the static one and a dynamic one allocated by the router. If you make the mistake of overlapping static IP assignments with the DHCP allocation range, conflicts can/will result.

Best practice is to leave the Z-Net as DCHP, then in the router, add an address reservation which binds that IP address to the hardware (MAC) address.

To troubleshoot, shut the Z-Net down for 10 minutes at which point it should be purged from find.homeseer.com results. Boot the Z-Net and it should reappear after short time. At that point hopefully you'll be able to get into the web page.

Z-Net registers with find.homeseer at bootup and at 5 minute intervals, starting at the top of the hour. If the bootup registration doesn't make it for some reason, it should show up within 5 minutes. The find server purges entries that haven't been updated within the past 10 minutes.

Comment

Great advice. I'll unplug the device and see what happens. Appreciate it!
      Don

Comment

Well, that didn't work. I really screwed this thing up. I pulled it off the wall, and set it up with a keyboard and monitor. I tried entering 'r' and then 'enter' when it booted up in the hopes of resetting the network settings, but that didn't work.

The boot up dialog reports a wired IP address of XXX.XXX.XX.45, but using arp -a doesn't show that address listed. I think the wireless somehow is there as an IP address of XXX.XXX,XX,47 is listed with the Z-Net MAC's address.

I can get into the thing using the default user and password, but I'm clueless how to reset the network settings from there.
        Don

Comment

Try changing the file /etc/network/interfaces as follows
          Code:
          auto lo
          iface lo inet loopback

allow-hotplug eth0
          iface eth0 inet [B]manual[/B]

allow-hotplug wlan0
          iface wlan0 inet [B]manual[/B]
          wpa-conf /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
          To edit the file,