Entry level Zwave Lamp plugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Entry level Zwave Lamp plugs

Can anyone recommend some entry-level Zwave wall plugs for controlling table lamps? I've seen them priced on Amazon from around $20 up to almost $60 each. I just want something to play around with something inexpensive using my Zee controller to see if I might want to add some Zwave to my mix.

Thanks in advance for any help. Everybody, please stay safe.

If you have seen a $20 z-wave lamp module on Amazon why not just buy it? I can't imagine you will find much of anything at less than $20.

Comment

(You did not mention whether you'd need the dimming functionality but for dimmers

For $20, you get non-Plus Z-Wave device. I am not sure you actually want to do this.
      $50 gets you GoControl Dimmer (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) which, in my experience does not work well, but with the same functionality as Leviton DZPD3-2BW Decora Smart Plug-in Dimmer ($35) or Eva Logic ZW39 ($30). Again, based on my personal experience, the Eva Logic seems to be the best (dimming depth/speed).

For $55 you could get an Aeotec Plug In module with full 15A load capability and all kinds of reporting.

So, I think the answer is $30-35.

They all shaped differently, your preferences may limit the choices.

Comment

Originally posted by Vit View Post
        (You did not mention whether you'd need the dimming functionality but for dimmers

For $20, you get non-Plus Z-Wave device. I am not sure you actually want to do this.
        $50 gets you GoControl Dimmer (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) which, in my experience does not work well, but with the same functionality as Leviton DZPD3-2BW Decora Smart Plug-in Dimmer ($35) or Eva Logic ZW39 ($30). Again, based on my personal experience, the Eva Logic seems to be the best (dimming depth/speed).

For $55 you could get an Aeotec Plug In module with full 15A load capability and all kinds of reporting.

So, I think the answer is $30-35.

They all shaped differently, your preferences may limit the choices.
        Thank you for your feedback! I appreciate the tip about Zwave-Plus. I ordered a couple of the Leviton to play with, Amazon didn't have the Eva Logic. I don't like the big brick look of the Levition, but they'll do for now.

Once I expand I'll likely use something like the Aeotec devices as I've continued to hear good things about them and I like their unobtrusiveness. What experience do you have with Z-Wave wall switches? I'm all UPB now and I exclusively use switches from PCS (Powerline Control Systems.) I think they are the inventor of the UPB protocol and their switches are electronically and physically very good. In particular, they have a very solid click and feel when you tap the rocker. Do you remember how the old X10 switches used to be? Flimsy and HORRIBLE! I'm looking for a switch that has that same nice click and feel as the PCS switches. Homeseer, GE, others?

Thanks again to you and everyone who participates here on this forum. Stay safe.

Comment

Both GE and leviton have worked well for me. Also had pretty good luck with zooz, but no dimming on the ones I'm using

Comment

I have a lot of Aeotec Micro (old) and Nano dimmers and Qubino In-Wall modules. They are all operated via regular paddle switches that I converted to function as momentary (seeing the top of the paddle depressed when the lights are Off is absolutely unacceptable for my age and OCD). For extra price you get load monitoring. With Aeotec modules, you could also get a WallSwipe. It looks very nice (but unfortunately, does not work well).

I got stuck with some Cooper dimmers and don't like them at all. Given the offered functionality, the price is ridiculous.

After some startup problems, I had good luck with Zooz ZEN27 dimmers. On the output side, they use MOSFETs; presumably, that improves the dimming range.

HS and Inovelli give you status indicators that can be controlled independently from the switch itself.

The latter three (and actually, many less-popular others) offer scene control (which may or may not work properly with HS).

Comment

I have a few Levitons and must say that these have never given me any trouble in the 3 years I've had them. Though, their not z-wave +, they are very reliable.
              HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Working...
              X