Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Zwave thermostat

Hi,
    I'm looking for a good Z-Wave compatible thermostat with the following features:
    • Good feature set (controllable by Zwave, on, off, setback, fan speed, etc)
    • Nice easy contrasty display to read - prefer color but not necessary
    • Works with either of the ZEE Zwave interfaces (internal or stick) One or the other is fine.
    • Does not require a plugin to operate it - native ZWave only
    • Prefer that it runs off of the C 24V from the HVAC and doesn't require batteries.
    Thanks in advance for any advice.
    Happy Turkey Day!

I use the Trane 624. You can also search the forums as there are quite a few topics about z-wave thermostats. HS also has some on their website.

Comment

Originally posted by mulu View Post
      I use the Trane 624. You can also search the forums as there are quite a few topics about z-wave thermostats. HS also has some on their website.
      The Trane XL624 was one of the ones I was looking at. https://www.amazon.com/Trane-XL624-A...6487178&sr=8-2
      Any other suggestions?
      Hope everyone stayed safe yesterday!

Comment

We have two Vivant CT100 thermostats and they work great. There are various version of them, some show up branded as Radio Thermostat.
        Very simple to setup and operate - although we don't manually operate them since HS is in control of them based on time, occupancy etc.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Radio-Therm...UAAOSwNDFfuwzG

Dan-O
        HomeSeer contributor since summer 1999, yes 1999!

Comment

My personal experience with thermostats has been more of a learning experience about Z-Wave certification. My CT-100s never worked fully with HS2 or HS3, as some features supported by the CT-100 were not supported by HST and would not poll.... and there was a lot of finger pointing, but no resolution. My Trane 524 did not have humidity, like the CT-100 it replaced, but otherwise seems to work.

AFAIK, this is my takeaway:

A thermostat is certificated by ZWA to have minimum features, plus whatever command_classes the manufacturer decides to add.

A Z-Wave PI, also, is certificated by ZWA to have minimum features, plus whatever command_classes the manufacturer decides to add.

Beyond the minimum, diligent research is required (on your part) to determine if the features offered by [xyz] thermostat will work with [abc] plugin. And then, considering the CT-100, probably the only way to know for sure is to install the devices and actually see if they work for you or not.

PS
          Outside the OP topic, but [any and every Z-Wave device or plugin] is certificated by ZWA to have minimum features, plus whatever command_classes the manufacturer decides to add. Other than the bare minimums established for said device(s) none of this in any way implies anything like a 1:1 correlation between command_classes.

PPS
          Just to be clear, HS3 Z-Wave is no longer native, but is a plug-In.
          HomeSeer Version: HS4 Pro Edition 4.2.19.0 (Windows - Running as a Service)
          Home Assistant 2024.3
          Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro - Desktop
          Z-Wave Devices via two Z-Net G3s
          Zigbee Devices via RaspBee on RPi 3b+
          WiFi Devices via Internal Router.

Enabled Plug-Ins
          AK GoogleCalendar 4.0.4.16,AK HomeAssistant 4.0.1.23,AK SmartDevice 4.0.5.1,AK Weather 4.0.5.181,AmbientWeather 3.0.1.9,Big6 3.44.0.0,BLBackup 2.0.64.0,BLGData 3.0.55.0,BLLock 3.0.39.0,BLUPS 2.0.26.0,Device History 4.5.1.1,EasyTrigger 3.0.0.76,Harmony Hub 4.0.14.0,HSBuddy 4.51.303.0,JowiHue 4.1.4.0,LG ThinQ 4.0.26.0,ONVIF Events 1.0.0.5,SDJ-Health 3.1.1.9,TPLinkSmartHome4 2022.12.30.0,UltraCID3 3.0.6681.34300,Z-Wave 4.1.3.0

Comment

According to my notes the CT100 cannot be programmed. You have to control it on the device or via home automation. My criteria was that everything must work without home automation and for a thermostat that means it has to be programmable. I only use HS to override the schedule in certain events. Hence the CT100 was out. I posted a summary of different thermostats about a year ago on this forum including the CT100, trane, RTS, etc.

Comment

My XL624 works great with one exception. When it is heating, the operating state shows "Unknown". For cooling, it shows Cooling as it should. I think it's a firware issue with mine, but I can't update it since I don't have Nexia. Others here don't have this. Other than that, it is rock solid and has never shown any z-wave issues. I can still tigger events and do so on the Unknown status. Not going to bother to change it for this...
              HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

My recommendation stands with the CT-100s. I must have missed where the OP was looking for a programmable T-Stat.
                Z-Wave controllable via HomeSeer, it does that.
                They have never missed a beat, and work on the K.I.S.S. ideal.

As far as batteries - I replace them ever 18-24 months whether they need them or not (in other words, they aren't battery hogs)
                Dan-O
                HomeSeer contributor since summer 1999, yes 1999!

Comment

Originally posted by Dan-O View Post
                  <snip> I must have missed where the OP was looking for a programmable T-Stat.
                  <snip>
                  It was not on the OPs list but I just mentioned it because this is my requirement. I am not saying the OP needs to put it on the list of requirements but I just wanted to point out that this might be something good to have. Btw, the 624 doesn't need any batteries. Also, I actually banned my thermostats into the garage and a closet and instead installed a tablet that does thermostat duties and a bunch of other things.

Comment

Originally posted by mulu View Post
                    According to my notes the CT100 cannot be programmed. <snip>
                    I believe some, if not all, CT-100s can be programmed.

HomeSeer Version: HS4 Pro Edition 4.2.19.0 (Windows - Running as a Service)
                    Home Assistant 2024.3
                    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro - Desktop
                    Z-Wave Devices via two Z-Net G3s
                    Zigbee Devices via RaspBee on RPi 3b+
                    WiFi Devices via Internal Router.

Enabled Plug-Ins
                    AK GoogleCalendar 4.0.4.16,AK HomeAssistant 4.0.1.23,AK SmartDevice 4.0.5.1,AK Weather 4.0.5.181,AmbientWeather 3.0.1.9,Big6 3.44.0.0,BLBackup 2.0.64.0,BLGData 3.0.55.0,BLLock 3.0.39.0,BLUPS 2.0.26.0,Device History 4.5.1.1,EasyTrigger 3.0.0.76,Harmony Hub 4.0.14.0,HSBuddy 4.51.303.0,JowiHue 4.1.4.0,LG ThinQ 4.0.26.0,ONVIF Events 1.0.0.5,SDJ-Health 3.1.1.9,TPLinkSmartHome4 2022.12.30.0,UltraCID3 3.0.6681.34300,Z-Wave 4.1.3.0

Comment

Not being able to program it is from my notes. It might be wrong but I did just google a bit:

https://2gig.com/wp-content/uploads/...tion-Guide.pdf

https://smartthermostatguide.com/rev...le-thermostat/

"You can’t set a program directly on the thermostat, and the unit itself doesn’t save its programming. It gets that information from the Z-Wave hub instead."

Comment

Working...
                      X