Clarification on Z-Net Interface

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clarification on Z-Net Interface

Maybe I'm missing something but do I need some other device to connect my Z-Wave products to my HomeSeer HS4?
    I thought that the Z-Wave products would connect natively to the HS4 but I can't create a HomeSeer Z-Net Ethernet interface in HS4 (using the Z-Wave plugin. Interface init failed: Timeout looking for Z-Wave interface) and I can't seem to find anything concrete as to whether I should be able to connect directly to HS4. I found some documentation but I don't find it very clear.

You need a Z-Wave controller to create a Z-Wave interface.

https://shop.homeseer.com/collection...rk-controllers

Comment

You need an interface to connect HS4 to any protocol. Z-Wave interface for Z-Wave communications, UPB interface for UPB, Insteon ...
      Some of the HomeTroller Pi units come with a built in Z-Wave daughter card if you have this hardware.
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

It would he helpful if at least some of the 'Learn More' links on the HS4 Quick Start Guide yielded something other than an empty page ...

Comment

Originally posted by zwolfpack View Post
          You need a Z-Wave controller to create a Z-Wave interface.

https://shop.homeseer.com/collection...rk-controllers
          Shoot. I wish I would've know that when I ordered all of my HomeSeer stuff last week. Does it matter which one I order? I'm currently running HS4 on my Raspberry Pi but may move to a Linux box at some point if that matters.

Comment

Since your in Canada, you'll want one of the US models: https://www.silabs.com/wireless/z-wave/global-regions

The Z-Net is a Raspberry Pi outfitted with a GPIO card containing a Z-Wave controller. It works well; I've run mine for nearly five years now with good results (I did replace the SD card with my own build).

SmartStick+ is a good choice as well. I'll advise against the Nortek HUSBZB-1 at this time; apparently later versions no longer support Z-Wave network restore from backup. From the product page:

Z-Wave networks cannot be restored to the Nortek HUSBZB-1. Only the HomeSeer Z-Net and SmartStick+ support network restoration.
            Note, HomeSeer's Hometroller Pi is exactly the same hardware as the Z-Net, just different content on the SD card. Unfortunately the GPIO card (EZZee) isn't available separately.

Comment

You should just use your old pi and flash the sd card with a Znet image and you are good to build your Zwave network on that

Comment

Originally posted by Bigstevep View Post
                You should just use your old pi and flash the sd card with a Znet image and you are good to build your Zwave network on that
                Huh? What Z-Wave controller would he have at that point?
                "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

I imagine I need the HS4 running someone also though. If I could get HS4 running properly on my Linux box I'd try that but since it keeps stopping working when updating any settings, I switched it over to my Pi3.

Comment

Originally posted by kenm View Post

Huh? What Z-Wave controller would he have at that point?
                    You said you had HS4 running on a pi, what Zwave interface are you using?

Comment

You said you had HS4 running on a pi, what Zwave interface are you using?
                      Apparently I'm not using any Zwave interface at this point. All I have right now is a Raspberry PI with the HS4 image on it. I did a bit more research last night and I guess what I could (ve) done is use my RasPi for my ZWave network (https://raspberrypihq.com/how-to-cre...-raspberry-pi/) and then installed HS4 on another computer. I really like the HS4 on my Pi though instead of a computer so I think I'll order a SmartStick+ and use that for my ZWave network on my HS4 Pi image.

Comment

RyeGWpg - You're on the right track now. You need something that can talk Z-Wave (RF signals) so either a USB Z-Wave controller such as the SmartStick+ or a Z-Net, which is nothing more than a Pi with an Z-Wave daughter card, running a custom Pi image. The advantage of using a Z-Net is the fact that you can centrally locate it for better reception without relocating your HS4 system.
                        "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

Originally posted by kenm View Post
                          RyeGWpg - You're on the right track now. You need something that can talk Z-Wave (RF signals) so either a USB Z-Wave controller such as the SmartStick+ or a Z-Net, which is nothing more than a Pi with an Z-Wave daughter card, running a custom Pi image. The advantage of using a Z-Net is the fact that you can centrally locate it for better reception without relocating your HS4 system.
                          kenm Fortunately I don't have a lot of area to cover so I'm thinking I should be OK with the SmartStick+ on my RPI. As long as it reaches the garage I'm golden.

Comment

A good rule-of-thumb for Z-Wave is Max 30ft (~10M) line-of-sight between devices and Max of 4 hops between furthest device and the controller.

Comment

kenm I just reread your command and realized that you said it ran on RF. I was thinking the devices communicated via ethernet so I may need to do more tweaking than I thought but I guess we'll see when my stuff arrives. Thanks for the tips.

Comment

Working...
                              X