Can Z-Net plug directly into hub?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can Z-Net plug directly into hub?

Sorry if this has been asked and answered. I searched but didn't find anything.

I'm running HS3 Pro on a low-power, fanless PC. Along with HS3 PRO the machine runs my weather station software. Nothing else runs on it and the setup has been running great for several years.
    The PC has 4 USB-2 ports, 1 USB-3 port and 1 Ethernet port. The PC to network communication is over WiFi so the Ethernet port is not being used.

My Z-Net interface is plugged directly into the router, which assigns all the LAN IP's via DHCP. I have assigned static IP's to several devices including the PC and the Z-Net interface.

I recently plugged the PC into a UPS but I need the Znet interface on the UPS as well. It's located in a different part of the house right now.

My question is, can the Znet interface be plugged directly into the PC, either via USB or the unused Ethernet port?
    Thanks.
    System Information
    Current Date/Time: 1/2/2021 11:28:45 AM Central Standard Time
    HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548 (Windows)
    HomeSeer: Is Registered
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro - Work Station
    OS Version: 10.0.19041 Service Pack: 0.0
    System Uptime: 0 Days 16 Hours 6 Minutes 5 Seconds
    User Name and Access Level: default (Admin)
    LAN IP Address: 192.168.1.10 (HS3Machine)
    Client IP Address: 192.168.1.10 (HS3Machine)
    Network Adapter: Adapter -> Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter IP: 192.168.1.10/24 MAC: 00:8E:F2:6D:61:C8
    Network Adapter: HomeSeer Adapter -> Loopback Address (localhost) IP: 127.0.0.1
    Web Server Port: 80
    Number of Devices: 308
    Number of Events: 155
    Event Last Ran: Climate : A/C Filter Run Timer STOP, Ran at 1/2/2021 11:10:17 AM
    Number of unique event scripts used: 0
    Plug-Ins Enabled: BLShutdown:,BLOccupied:,BLBackup:,UltraLog3:,Pushover 3P:,BLLock:,PHLocation2:,HSBuddy:,BLStat:,Z-Wave:
    Processor Type and Speed: Intel64 Family 6 Model 55 Stepping 8 at 1.86 GHz
    Modules/Threads: 139 Modules, 94 Threads
    Available Threads: 400
    System Processes/Load: 185 Processes, 4% Load
    Free / Total Physical Memory: 4.01 GBytes / 7.88 GBytes (51% free)
    Free / Total Virtual Memory: 4.65 GBytes / 9.13 GBytes (51% free)
    HomeSeer Memory Used: 101 Mbytes
    Plug-In Memory Used: 10 EXE Plug-Ins using 306 Mbytes

USB, no as the Z-Net Z-wave card is not a USB device but is a raspberry pi daughter card.

Ethernet, yes, you would need an ethernet crossover cable unless your PC or the Z-Net supports auto mdi-x (Medium-dependent interface - Wikipedia). You would need to statically assign the IP address to the Z-Net and PC in the same subnet.

Other functionality like the Z-Net registering to find.homeseer.com won't work unless you configure routing on that PC.

Comment

Got it.
      I can make a crossover cable.
      I shouldn't have to change anything in the router as far as setting the static ip for the PC, right?
      Does the PC set the static ip for the Znet interface or is that still handled in the router?
      Thanks!

Comment

The router won't have to know the network, but could configure it if you want the Z-Net to reach the Internet. The PC and Z-Net will have to have their IP addresses set independently in each of their configurations.

Comment

I use the MyHS.Homeseer.com interface to access HS3 when I'm out of town, so the PC still needs access to the internet. The Znet does not.

Comment

Working...
          X