Devices Randomly Turning Off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Devices Randomly Turning Off

For the last month or so I've been having problems with Z-Wave device turning off after they've been turned on. HS4 still thinks they are ON. Most of my z-wave deices are turned on and off using events, but I don't see anything in the HS log to indicate an event triggered.

Any suggestions on how to go about debugging this would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Ken
    "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Old issue that many still swear doesn't exist. Only fix I've found is to download @jon00's restart plugin and set an event to restart the Z-Wave plugin every 3-4 hours. I did that and the random ON/OFF's have greatly diminished.

Comment

Thanks George. The first step in solving a problem is getting over the denial and it sounds like that hasn't happened. After reviewing my notes from the last couple of weeks, it seems obvious to me that it's a sync issue between the Z-Net and HS, in my case HS4. Since a plugin restart would force a re-sync between the two, I can see how that would make things much better. Restarting the plugin every 3-4 hours seems like a big hammer and rather disruptive, so I think I'll hold off on that for now, but keep it in mind.

Thanks again,
      Ken
      "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

Hi George ,

After more than two weeks of experiments, I'm no further along than before, so I'm going the "big hammer" route. How disruptive is it to restart the Z-Wave plugin every 3-4 hours? Do you find that you miss motion sensor triggers (or similar) or do those get stored in the Z-Net and transferred when the plugin comes back up?
        Any other "gotchas" I should watch out for? My wife is non-technical (accountant) and she is becoming less and less tolerant of this situation. She went so far as to ask what other options there are to replace Z-Wave.

Thanks,
        Ken

Comment

Originally posted by kenm View Post
          Hi George ,

After more than two weeks of experiments, I'm no further along than before, so I'm going the "big hammer" route. How disruptive is it to restart the Z-Wave plugin every 3-4 hours? Do you find that you miss motion sensor triggers (or similar) or do those get stored in the Z-Net and transferred when the plugin comes back up?
          Any other "gotchas" I should watch out for? My wife is non-technical (accountant) and she is becoming less and less tolerant of this situation. She went so far as to ask what other options there are to replace Z-Wave.

Thanks,
          Ken
          Not disruptive at all that I can tell. I have a bit of horsepower behind it but the plugin restarts in about 3 seconds from my logs. I have a few z-wave door sensors but the odds of someone opening a door in those 3 seconds is a great Vegas bet! Try it, I played with different times and found out that anything longer than 4 hour and things would start to misbehave badly. So I settled on 3.5 hours. I also tried it at 3 but all it did was fill the log a little quicker.

No harm in trying it, I'm running the SmartStick so I'm not sure if the ZNET will store it. My guess is that being it's a separate device on ethernet, it may store it for that slight delay.

g

Comment

I have the same problem there some of z-wave devices turn of.... or seems to be of. I checked the current for my pump and it looks like it running even it showing of !!
            any suggestion?

Comment

Working...
            X