Adding z-wave

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding z-wave

Hello... I've been running HS4 on a PC with my Insteon hub/devices. I want to add z-wave. Will a z-wave plus usb stick do the job, or should I get the z-net network z-wave plus controller? Price really isn't an issue. TIA!

JJ

I would recommend the z-net network z-wave plus controller over the sticks.
    HomeSeer Version: HS4 Pro Edition 4.2.19.0 (Windows - Running as a Service)
    Home Assistant 2024.3
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro - Desktop
    Z-Wave Devices via two Z-Net G3s
    Zigbee Devices via RaspBee on RPi 3b+
    WiFi Devices via Internal Router.

Enabled Plug-Ins
    AK GoogleCalendar 4.0.4.16,AK HomeAssistant 4.0.1.23,AK SmartDevice 4.0.5.1,AK Weather 4.0.5.181,AmbientWeather 3.0.1.9,Big6 3.44.0.0,BLBackup 2.0.64.0,BLGData 3.0.55.0,BLLock 3.0.39.0,BLUPS 2.0.26.0,Device History 4.5.1.1,EasyTrigger 3.0.0.76,Harmony Hub 4.0.14.0,HSBuddy 4.51.303.0,JowiHue 4.1.4.0,LG ThinQ 4.0.26.0,ONVIF Events 1.0.0.5,SDJ-Health 3.1.1.9,TPLinkSmartHome4 2022.12.30.0,UltraCID3 3.0.6681.34300,Z-Wave 4.1.3.0

Comment

Z-net is your best bet

Comment

It depends on your needs. For a relatively small coverage area, and especially if your HS server is centrally located, a z-wave USB stick will likely do everything you need it to do. OTOH, if you have a large area to cover and/or you need to cover areas not proximate to your server, a z-net may be best. I have 2 z-nets and a Smartstick+ in my home of ~4,400sf on 2 floors (metal lath and plaster walls). An advantage of the z-nets is you can move it closer to a device (e.g., an installed door lock or light switch) should you need to re-include it for any reason, although if your HS server happens to be a laptop you would be able to do it with a USB stick as well. Perhaps just as important as your controller selection will be development of your z-wave mesh. The more devices you add to your mesh the better it will perform--regardless of which type of controller you go with.
        -Wade

Comment

I have a USB stick but have a USB extension cable to get the stock to a better location.
          Karl S
          HS4Pro on Windows 10
          1070 Devices
          56 Z-Wave Nodes
          104 Events
          HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 iOS
          Google Home: 3 Mini units, 1 Pair Audios, 2 Displays

Comment

Thanks everyone! I ordered the z-net. Thought maybe it will be a little more flexible as my HS pc is in the corner of an upstairs room.

Comment

I received the Z-Net. The first instruction is to click the UPDATE button. There IS no update button. Anyway, I continued to add it to my HS4. Everything seemed to go OK. It recognizes it and such. When I try to add the Kwikset lock, it errors out. I powered it on/off, enabled/disabled the interface, put it 2" from lock, and it still can't find it. Also, do I need to add my SSID/password if I'm going to run it wireless? I opened a ticket with HS support but figured I would try here also.

Comment

Originally posted by JerseyJoe View Post
                I received the Z-Net. The first instruction is to click the UPDATE button. There IS no update button.
                I don't think the "Update" button will show up if there is no current update.

Anyway, I continued to add it to my HS4. Everything seemed to go OK. It recognizes it and such. When I try to add the Kwikset lock, it errors out. I powered it on/off, enabled/disabled the interface, put it 2" from lock, and it still can't find it.
                Problems I have encountered:
                1. Weak batteries
                2. Distance from Z-Net (2" might be too far away)
                3. Bad Lock (Don't trust refurbished units.)
                I think best practices dictate that you "Remove" the lock (or any node) before installing.
                Are you installing the lock in secure mode?

Also, do I need to add my SSID/password if I'm going to run it wireless? <snip>
                Yes. Fix this first, then try again.
                HomeSeer Version: HS4 Pro Edition 4.2.19.0 (Windows - Running as a Service)
                Home Assistant 2024.3
                Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro - Desktop
                Z-Wave Devices via two Z-Net G3s
                Zigbee Devices via RaspBee on RPi 3b+
                WiFi Devices via Internal Router.

Enabled Plug-Ins
                AK GoogleCalendar 4.0.4.16,AK HomeAssistant 4.0.1.23,AK SmartDevice 4.0.5.1,AK Weather 4.0.5.181,AmbientWeather 3.0.1.9,Big6 3.44.0.0,BLBackup 2.0.64.0,BLGData 3.0.55.0,BLLock 3.0.39.0,BLUPS 2.0.26.0,Device History 4.5.1.1,EasyTrigger 3.0.0.76,Harmony Hub 4.0.14.0,HSBuddy 4.51.303.0,JowiHue 4.1.4.0,LG ThinQ 4.0.26.0,ONVIF Events 1.0.0.5,SDJ-Health 3.1.1.9,TPLinkSmartHome4 2022.12.30.0,UltraCID3 3.0.6681.34300,Z-Wave 4.1.3.0

Comment

Working...
                X