Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• paul
    replied
    Ok, so to be clear - you’re not saying the device supports POE, you’re saying you’re using a POE splitter to pull power from POE and split it to the power port on the device. That’s a good idea, I might try that, though I’m (relatively) sure it’s not power that is my current problem. I did indeed have to replace my power adapter once, and currently when the device hangs, it appears that the power to the device is still there. Unless it’s JUST flaky enough that it causes the device to hang. I’ll have to test.

swapping the SD card is a good idea - anyone have a link to the safest/best procedure to do the imaging?

regards,

Paul

Leave a comment:

• langenet
    replied
    Thanks Wade for that. I ordered one up. I really need to reduce the number of wall warts I have with my setup... . I've never had an issue with my Z-net and therefore never had to reboot/restart it... well, at least not yet.

Leave a comment:

• randy
    replied
    One more thing I will add is that with my Ubiquiti system I can remotely reboot my Z-Nets by power cycling the switch port. I’ve never needed it due to a hung Z-Net but I do have an event that 1) power cycles all Z-Nets and 2) shuts down HS and reboots the server. On a couple of occasions over the last several years my Z-Wave network has experienced high latency and this routine has cleared it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	31D10A57-BAC7-407C-941D-98CD302FE2D1.jpeg
Views:	262
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	1485335

Name:	30D30086-B32E-426E-9B4B-F3D3899C6A0D.jpeg
Views:	237
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	1485336

Leave a comment:

• randy
    replied
    Originally posted by langenet View Post
    Randy, good to know. I didn't know Z-net supported POE or are you using the POE adapter? If so, which one are you using. I wouldn't mind losing a wall wart ...
    I’ve used these in the past. They are compact and make a reasonably trim package.

Click image for larger version  Name:	8076F04A-043E-4527-902B-E873381506B9.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	45.6 KB ID:	1485329

The TP-Link ones have been fine as well.

Name:	DED7E1A5-DB48-482A-877D-64B12304A997.jpeg
Views:	231
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	1485330

I am currently using the Raspberry Pi POE hat with Pi 3B+ boards. I wrote about the project here. I have 5 up and running for almost 3 years.

Leave a comment:

• Wade
    replied
    Originally posted by langenet View Post
    Randy, good to know. I didn't know Z-net supported POE or are you using the POE adapter? If so, which one are you using. I wouldn't mind losing a wall wart ...
    I've been using this POE adapter from amazon for a couple years with no issues.

Leave a comment:

• langenet
    replied

Leave a comment:

• randy
    replied
    The two things Rob mentioned are most common. The early power supplies were less reliable than the later ones and the OEM 4gb cards are best replaced by a high quality Sandisk, Samsung or other more durable card. I went to SanDisk Ultra 16GB cards and POE power for all of my Z-Nets in 2017 and have not had a single hiccup.

Leave a comment:

• rmasonjr
    replied
    I still have a gen1 Z-Net from when it was first released. Yearly, I re-image to a new SD card. You might try that first to make sure it's not the SD card failing.
    After that, try changing the power supply. Mine is running on a POE splitter.

Leave a comment:

• paul
    started a topic Z-net starting to hang once per day

Z-net starting to hang once per day

I have a first generation Z-Net that has treated me well for many years. Once in a blue moon (maybe once or twice a year) the device would hang - become no longer pingable. However recently it’s been happening more often, and in the last week it’s started to be a daily thing. Giving it a power cycle brings it back.

I had planned to buy a remote power control device to auto power cycle it if it goes offline, but now I’m starting to wonder if the device is simply flaking out and maybe I need to consider replacing it. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions to investigate and/or breath more life into it or should I just bite the bullet and replace it?
Working...
X