Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• paul
    replied
    So interestingly - while I haven't successfully replaced the SD card yet, I also haven't had the box hang since I swapped the power supply for the POE Splitter. I'll keep tabs on it to see if flaky power really was the issue.....

Leave a comment:

• paul
    replied
    Originally posted by zwolfpack View Post
    If you're not afraid of the Linux command line ... this works great to mirror the running drive to another card mounted in a USB adapter.

https://github.com/billw2/rpi-clone
    Yeah that's no problem. I'll go take a look at it.

Leave a comment:

• zwolfpack
    replied
    If you're not afraid of the Linux command line ... this works great to mirror the running drive to another card mounted in a USB adapter.

https://github.com/billw2/rpi-clone

Leave a comment:

• paul
    replied
    Heh. No worries. I'm gonna see if there are other approaches / software to use to write the image and give it a try

Leave a comment:

• zwolfpack
    replied
    Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
    It must be different for the MAC version:
    Don't upgrade! ... I have version 1.5.116 on Windows and I see the same as paul reports.

Leave a comment:

• rmasonjr
    replied
    It must be different for the MAC version:

Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot1.png
Views:	97
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	1486630

Leave a comment:

• paul
    replied

My BalenaEtcher as a little gear icon in the top right for settings:

Views:	161
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	1486550

I'm running 1.5.50 and I dont know if that is the latest version or not...
    Indeed mine does have the gearbox, but when I opened it up all it gave me was "Anonymously report errors" and "Auto Updates Enabled".

regards,

Paul

Leave a comment:

• rmasonjr
    replied
    Originally posted by paul View Post

Hmm..... I'm using BalenaEtcher on MacOS, I don't see any place to set options such as Trim, Google doesn't turn any immediate matches up for MacOS. Any idea where I should be looking? (I haven't gone spelunking through the filesystem yet....).....
    My BalenaEtcher as a little gear icon in the top right for settings:

Views:	161
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	1486550

I'm running 1.5.50 and I dont know if that is the latest version or not...

Leave a comment:

• paul
    replied

I'm not sure about that error. In BalenaEtcher and try turning off Trim ext{234} partitions and see if that helps.
    Hmm..... I'm using BalenaEtcher on MacOS, I don't see any place to set options such as Trim, Google doesn't turn any immediate matches up for MacOS. Any idea where I should be looking? (I haven't gone spelunking through the filesystem yet....).....

Leave a comment:

• rmasonjr
    replied
    Originally posted by paul View Post

I did end up using BalenaEtcher to copy the card to a new 16Gb card. However on boot I now get a boot failure with:

Code:
    Cannot open root device "mccblk0p2" or unknown-block(179,2): error -6
    Please append a correct "root=" boot option; here are the available partitions:
    b300. 15558144 mmcblk0 driver:mmcblk
    Mainly it looks like it is seeing the card as a different device name perhaps? I'm doing some digging now, but any idea how to go about setting the correct boot option? (I've never worked with Raspberry Pis before, though I am fairly comfortable in general linuxy stuff). ie. Is there any way I can set it on bootup and then ssh in and correct it properly, or do I need to pull the sd card out and mount it to my mac to find the boot config?
    I'm not sure about that error. In BalenaEtcher and try turning off Trim ext{234} partitions and see if that helps.

Leave a comment:

• paul
    replied
    After doing some digging, I pulled the SD card and mounted it on my mac. Found that in one of the config files (cmdline.txt I think) it had a reference to /dev/mccblk0p2 . I tried changing that to mccblk0, and this time it got further, but then failed with:

Code:
    No filesystem could mount root, tried: ext4
    So, for now I'm back up and running with my old SD card. I am on POE now at least, we'll see if the power supply solved my original problem or not. I wouldn't mind solving the filesystem mounting issue on the new SD card though, if anyone has any ideas.

SIDE NOTE: After swapping cards, I ran into a hardware issue - the SD Card stopped staying in the slot - I'd push it in, but it wouldn't lock and woudl just pop back out. I ended up fixing that using this method here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXM6Q6nLWAo

Just for those of you who might be interested or read this later and need it. It's apparently a common problem.

Paul

Leave a comment:

• paul
    replied
    Correct - the Pi does not support a POE direct connection. You must use either a POE splitter or a POE hat.
    For imaging, you can use Win32DiskImager or BalenaEtcher.
    I did end up using BalenaEtcher to copy the card to a new 16Gb card. However on boot I now get a boot failure with:

Code:
    Cannot open root device "mccblk0p2" or unknown-block(179,2): error -6
    Please append a correct "root=" boot option; here are the available partitions:
    b300.  15558144 mmcblk0  driver:mmcblk
    Mainly it looks like it is seeing the card as a different device name perhaps? I'm doing some digging now, but any idea how to go about setting the correct boot option? (I've never worked with Raspberry Pis before, though I am fairly comfortable in general linuxy stuff). ie. Is there any way I can set it on bootup and then ssh in and correct it properly, or do I need to pull the sd card out and mount it to my mac to find the boot config?

Leave a comment:

• paul
    replied
    Added bonus, because I'm now on POE, I'm using my Zenoss monitoring server to monitor the ping up/down state of my z-net interface, and if it goes offline for 5 minutes it'll remotely ssh to my switch and reset the port, power cycling the z-net....

Leave a comment:

• paul
    replied
    Ok, I decided to go with this POE device, just because it didn't need the adapter wire:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It arrived today and is working nicely. I was going to re-image the sd card today as well except I received the wrong card - I made the mistake of not double checking first, and ordered an SD card when I needed a Micro sd card. :P Micro SD card will arrive wed......

Paul

Leave a comment:

• rmasonjr
    replied
    Correct - the Pi does not support a POE direct connection. You must use either a POE splitter or a POE hat.
    For imaging, you can use Win32DiskImager or BalenaEtcher.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X