Z-Net Not Responding After Router/Modem Reboot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Z-Net Not Responding After Router/Modem Reboot

Just wondering what, if anything, can be done to get the z-net to initialize after a router/modem has been rebooted. I had to reboot the router/modem today and after it came up I noticed the z-net had a red light. The z-net has a DHCP reservation based on the mac of the z-net in the router/modem.

Why didn't the z-net re-connect with the router/modem by itself? Is there something that needs to be done in an event or through another means? Thanks

There was a long thread back around 2016 that more or less got to the bottom of this. It resulted in some improvements in the Z-Net settings. Unfortunately, in the final update (1.0.23), the improvements disappeared.

The primary improvement was to set a timeout in the /etc/ser2net.conf file.

Find a line near the end starting with 2001:raw: ....

Change the third field (colon separated) from 0 to 120.

Restart the unit to effect the change.

With this in place, the Z-Net will drop the network connection if there's no activity for two minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by zwolfpack View Post
      There was a long thread back around 2016 that more or less got to the bottom of this. It resulted in some improvements in the Z-Net settings. Unfortunately, in the final update (1.0.23), the improvements disappeared.

The primary improvement was to set a timeout in the /etc/ser2net.conf file.

Find a line near the end starting with 2001:raw: ....

Change the third field (colon separated) from 0 to 120.

Restart the unit to effect the change.

With this in place, the Z-Net will drop the network connection if there's no activity for two minutes.
      Hate to ask this but I searched for the ser2net.conf file but unable to find it. Where is this file? thanks

Comment

On the Z-Net - /etc/ser2net.conf

Comment

On the Z-Net - /etc/ser2net.conf
          Since I have never owned a z-net and not sure how to do this I am feeling kind of stupid. A little more help would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Ok, the Z-Net's computer is a Raspberry Pi. You'll need to log in to this and execute a couple of Linux commands.

You'll need to know the IP address of the Z-Net.

I'll assume you have a Windows 10 PC. From that, open a command prompt (search for 'cmd' and run 'Command Prompt'). At this command line, type
            Code:
            ssh pi@[IP address of Z-Net]
            Here, 'pi' is the username. For the password, first try the default raspi password: raspberry

Some of the Z-Net editions may have removed the default pi/raspberry user/password combo. In that case, try username 'homeseer' with password: zneths16
            Try different numbers at the end if that doesn't work. (My theory is that they put the two-digit year of manufacture here).

Once you get access, I'll detail how to edit the file.

Comment

Ok, the Z-Net's computer is a Raspberry Pi. You'll need to log in to this and execute a couple of Linux commands.

You'll need to know the IP address of the Z-Net.

I'll assume you have a Windows 10 PC. From that, open a command prompt (search for 'cmd' and run 'Command Prompt'). At this command line, type
              Code:
              ssh pi@[IP address of Z-Net]
              Here, 'pi' is the username. For the password, first try the default raspi password: raspberry

Some of the Z-Net editions may have removed the default pi/raspberry user/password combo. In that case, try username 'homeseer' with password: zneths16
              Try different numbers at the end if that doesn't work. (My theory is that they put the two-digit year of manufacture here).

Once you get access, I'll detail how to edit the file.
              Tried all the combinations you gave with pi and homeseer and all combinations of zneths15 - 20 and no go. Does it matter if it is wireless at the moment?

Comment

Another possibility: hsthsths3

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...10#post1075410

About when did you purchase the Z-Net?

Comment

Another possibility: hsthsths3

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...10#post1075410

About when did you purchase the Z-Net?
                  I got it on 8/5/21. I will try new pw now.

EDIT: No go still. I tried pi and homeseer as user with the pw hsthsths3

Also, I have a z-net with version 1.0.24

Comment

I assume you tried zneths21 ? (Since it was purchased in 2021. Above you indicated you tried up to 20).

Failing that, I'd recommend contacting support and see it they'll provide the credentials.

Another alternative is to download the Raspberry Pi OS to another SD card, boot the Z-Net Pi from that and edit the original card from there. But I'll wager you might not want that to your first Raspberry Pi experience!

Comment

Failing that, I'd recommend contacting support and see it they'll provide the credentials.
                      Looks like I will have to do just that. Thanks again for the help.

Comment

Working...
                      X