Terrible Z-Wave performance after poweroutage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Terrible Z-Wave performance after poweroutage

Hi, I have been at this for a few days now, hopefully, someone can help!

I have had my system up and running for months without any issues or major changes. A few days ago there was a brief power outage that took everything offline for a moment. After, anything Z-Wave-related is running horribly slow.

My log is normally fairly busy but there appears to possibly be something flooding my network, please see the log capture here:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/nviki5y6rv...e_Log.mov?dl=0

I have an event when my garage door is open that periodically sends blink status lights commands to my WD200+ switches. This event was running when the power went out so I wonder if things are somehow stuck in a loop?

What I have tried:
    Full optimize on the network so I tried that without any improvement.
    Disabled the event that I suspected was causing this issue.
    Restarted everything (computer/ Znet interface).
    Restored a Homeseer backup from a known good day (unfortunately, I don't think I have a recent enough Znet backup).

System Info:
    HS3 running in Windows 10
    2x Znet networks (the main one is called Living Room Znet, my other one is in the garage and seems to be working ok but I only have one device in there so hard to tell).

Again, the system had been very stable for several months before this happened.

Really appreciate the help!

Sometimes the zwave network can badly misbehave. I'm on HS3 win 10 with four znet interfaces separately partitioned. Over the summer, power glitch, and ONE of the four znets became insanely slow. I tracked it down to a zwave device on a single circuit breaker, not without a LOT of trouble shooting, similar steps as you.
    - reset/reloaded the affected znet
    - reset/rescanned HS3 zwave plugin
    - disabled each znet until the offending one was isolated
    - pulled out the handy SDR and started tracking a beaconing zwave device on 908 mHz (thought it could have been RF noise in another electronic device)
    - found a significant spike continuously operating on the zwave frequency
    - went device to device trying to locate the beaconing device; I don't have significant RF test equipment so localizing in the house was not easy, signal way too strong to attenuate
    - powered down circuit breakers one by one which had zwave devices on the affected znet; while monitoring the SDR for beaconing. Most of my devices do not have local power disconnect and are hardwired.
    - found the specific CB, beaconing disappeared, znet started performing with all remaining devices
    Voila, issue narrowed down to a small handful of zwave devices. However, upon restoring power, the beaconing did not recur so I only have a list of three devices which might have beaconed.

I never really concluded research into zwave diagnostic kits because they seem to be targeting professional installers and cost hundreds. Maybe some other reader can provide guidance.

As info, the SDR kit I use was purchased on amzn and cost about $40 Nooelec NESDR Smart v4 Bundle - Premium RTL-SDR w/Aluminum Enclosure, 0.5PPM TCXO, SMA Input & 3 Antennas. RTL2832U & R820T2-Based Software Defined Radio.

I use CubicSDR software.

Comment

Hi, thank you very much for all this information. I had to leave town for work but will dive into your troubleshooting ideas when I return. My wife has reported things are a bit better so maybe the network has stabilized some? Definitely why I am moving away from Zwave whenever possible!

Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
      X