Z-net availability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Z-net availability

I wasn't sure where to post this, but with my recent z-wave experiences I'm inclined to think I have a failing z-net. Does anyone know expected availability???

You can email sales@homeseer.com and macromark could probably tell you...

For your existing Z-Net - have you replaced the SD card? I'm still running a Gen1 Z-Net and it works pretty well...
    HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
    54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
    Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

I haven't replaced the SD card. I'll research that. So if something is failing it's probably the SD card, not the z-net itself? That would make sense.

Comment

Yep - try replacing the SD card first. It's likely that is the component that is failing.
        HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
        54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
        Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Yep, my z-net has been running from the very beginning. ~2014 I've replaced the SD card with a high quality card last year I believe.

I do have a spare (never used 1 year old) that I could sell if you can't get one from HST.
          RJ_Make On YouTube

Comment

Memory refresher needed.

I have the SD card in the z-net. I also have one in a USB stick which I thought rpi-clone was updating. Apparently not so since all the files on the ext card have a 2018 date.

What exactly is on the SD card inside the z-net because I assume the backup card is not up to date.

So... should I remove the SD card in the z-net, copy it to a PC and then copy it to a known good SD card?

Comment

Your copy from 2018 should work

Several things:
              • The SD card in a Z-Net is static. Nothing with regard to your Z-wave network is stored on the card. It is all in flash on the GPIO daughtercard. The card only boots rasbian and creates an IP to serial connection to the GPIO card. A year old SD card is the same as one currently running, they don’t change.
                The only thing written to the card is information from the network configuration page
              • If you take a copy of a card from a working Z-Net it will work in any other Z-Net
              • If you use DHCP reservations for your Z-Net and leave the Z-Net IP as DHCP assigned, you don’t even need to configure it. You can replace your SD card and it will connect at the correct IP. If you use Z-Net configuration an IP needn’t be assigned because HomeSeer will find it by hostname, but you will have to configure the hostname in the new card.
              • Spend the money on a high durability card and it will last. Power interruption can corrupt the cheap SD cards that standard in the Z-Net
              HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

randy Thanks! So that means it's probably not the card that's the issue since it is only read, not written to??

We had more than our fair share of power outages this year, most of them extremely short. I figured the problem was corrupted databases on the HS PC. I had tons of issues with corrupted z-wave databases and devices ending up with No Node Id. Then when re-including they ended up occupying the node numbers of other devices. It's been a real mess.

I now have a reliable APC UPS with the PC and two of the three RPis plugged into it. Unfortunately, somewhere at the mains box or close at the pole there seems to be a bad connection. But that's for another conversation.

Comment

randy As a follow up, if it's likely not the SD card that could be failing then what? The flash on the GPIO daughtercard? Or is it more than likely a database issue in the PC?

Comment

Originally posted by racerfern View Post
                    randy As a follow up, if it's likely not the SD card that could be failing then what? The flash on the GPIO daughtercard? Or is it more than likely a database issue in the PC?
                    What are the symptoms? If the Z-Net won’t boot or cannot be found by find.HomeSeer.com, it would most likely be the SD card. Alternately it could be the pi board or power supply.

If the Z-Net boots and connects to HomeSeer, it will not be the power supply, SD card or pi board.

The daughter (GPIO) has flash memory that stores the Z-Wave devices and routing info.

HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

randy That settles it, the issue is not the z-net, it's some z-wave database on the PC that HS4 resides on.

I have NO NODE ID at times or No Command Class Information Available. I've solved most of the NO NODE ID issues but what a pain. But the No Command ... in the screenshot still exists for four devices. Problem is they work or they're no longer in the system.

Frustrating.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screen Shot 01-10-22 at 06.07 PM.PNG Views:	0 Size:	82.7 KB ID:	1519822

Comment

Working...
                      X