Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Z-Net Died and I need advice for remplacement...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Z-Net Died and I need advice for remplacement...

Not surprisingly, my Z-Net has expired after 8 years of flawless service. I have one on order that should be here tomorrow and I would like to get it running again, ASAP. I have downloaded and perused the "Z-Net Installation Guide." I have three needs: (1) information on whether HS4 handles things differently than HS3, as the document is written for HS3, (2) are there any peculiarities for restoring from Z-Net to Z-Net, and (3) I have a "Backup," but can I use the more recent "backup" automatically saved by HS4? The document really is written to upgrade from Z-Troller or Z-Stick, not replace a failed Z-Net.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    HomeSeer Version: HS4 Pro Edition 4.2.19.0 (Windows - Running as a Service)
    Home Assistant 2024.3
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro - Desktop
    Z-Wave Devices via two Z-Net G3s
    Zigbee Devices via RaspBee on RPi 3b+
    WiFi Devices via Internal Router.

Enabled Plug-Ins
    AK GoogleCalendar 4.0.4.16,AK HomeAssistant 4.0.1.23,AK SmartDevice 4.0.5.1,AK Weather 4.0.5.181,AmbientWeather 3.0.1.9,Big6 3.44.0.0,BLBackup 2.0.64.0,BLGData 3.0.55.0,BLLock 3.0.39.0,BLUPS 2.0.26.0,Device History 4.5.1.1,EasyTrigger 3.0.0.76,Harmony Hub 4.0.14.0,HSBuddy 4.51.303.0,JowiHue 4.1.4.0,LG ThinQ 4.0.26.0,ONVIF Events 1.0.0.5,SDJ-Health 3.1.1.9,TPLinkSmartHome4 2022.12.30.0,UltraCID3 3.0.6681.34300,Z-Wave 4.1.3.0

Are you sure the whole z-net is dead? Mine died a few months ago I threw a monitor on it and saw that it was powering up fine but something was corrupted on the card. Luckily, I had a backup of the image. I restored it to a new SD card, popped it in, and everything was great again. The good news is that the z-wave data is on the z-wave module attached to the GPIO pins, not the pi (or the SD card) itself. If you have no backup of your SD Image, you can buy a new SD card from HomeSeer. Definitely make a backup of your new SD card for next time.

If you already bought the new Z-net, the good news is that you got a newer Rasperry Pi. I'm pretty sure the Z-WAVE module is exactly the same. Just pull your old one off the old Raspberry Pi, and put it on the new Pi. Now your new z-net has all the details about your z-wave network (since the config is stored on the z-wave module itself). And yes, you now have a spare Z-wave Module that you don't need.
    Last edited by dlover; August 3, 2022, 09:26 AM. Reason: Additional content

Comment

Originally posted by dlover View Post
      Are you sure the whole z-net is dead? Mine died a few months ago I threw a monitor on it and saw that it was powering up fine but something was corrupted on the card. Luckily, I had a backup of the image. I restored it to a new SD card, popped it in, and everything was great again. The good news is that the z-wave data is on the z-wave module attached to the GPIO pins, not the pi (or the SD card) itself. If you have no backup of your SD Image, you can buy a new SD card from HomeSeer. Definitely make a backup of your new SD card for next time.
      Agreed. My coworker's Z-net died and I think I imaged mine and sent it to him. The weakest part of it is the SD card.
      HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 (Windows Server 8.1 on ESXi box)

Plug-Ins Enabled:
      Z-Wave:,RaspberryIO:,AirplaySpeak:,Ecobee:,
      weatherXML:,JowiHue:,APCUPSD:,PHLocation:,Chromecast:,EasyTr igger:

Comment

How do I backup the sd card of the Znet?

Comment

Originally posted by mikee123 View Post
          How do I backup the sd card of the Znet?
          Open the case, remove the card, and clone the card. I've also followed randy's lead and cut a small opening in the z-net case so it can be more easily replaced in the future. Taped the clone to outside of the case for safekeeping. Randy posted pictures of it somewhere here on the forum, although I'm not finding it right now.
          -Wade

Comment

Originally posted by Wade View Post

Randy posted pictures of it somewhere here on the forum, although I'm not finding it right now.
            https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...sd-card-backup

Jon

Comment

Yeah, the Pi is likely not dead, it's probably the SD card or even the power supply. My 1st-gen Z-Net is still running and is on a PoE injector for power.
              HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
              54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
              Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

+1 for PoE splitter powered. I converted both my Z-Nets as well as a Pi3B+ and Pi400 over to PoE. I'd lost 2x Pi wall warts to power outages.
                "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

Working...
                X