ZNet sudden unreliability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ZNet sudden unreliability

I'm a long time (20+ year) HS user that rarely posts lately (think my last post was 2019) becuase everything has been running solidly. Last night my Zwave network stopped working after working nearly perfectly for the last 10ish years (however old first gen ZNet is). It's weird, thought, because it sees state changes of my Zwave security sensors, but gives me "failed sending zwave command" messages when I try to control a device. Sometimes the device will control 10-30 seconds later, even though HS said it failed to send the command. Nodes show as unreachable if I try to audit or optimize them.

Initially, it appeared the ZNet's power supply was going bad as a "hard reboot" by removing power resulted in it not powering back up, even though sudo reboot from an SSH session worked fine just before. After rebooting both HS and the Znet several times via windows (HS) and SSH (Znet) the issues persisted. After completely removing power from teh ZNet, it would not power back up until I swapped the power supply from the original ZNet power supply to one of my CanaKit power supplies.

Since it's booting and rebooting without issue and I can SSH in, I assume the SDCard is not corrupt. Do the ZWave controller in the RPi just go bad?

I am going to file a help ticket as well. Assuming I need to get a new Znet, how hard is it to move everything over without having to do each node individually?
    John
    Hardware: i5-6400T w/16GB RAM & SSD w/HS3Pro, Z-Net, Harmony Hub x2, Echo Dot x2, Ocelot
    Plugins: Z-wave, HSTouch, BLBackup, Harmony, GTS CPUXA, UltraMon3, Nest
    HSTouch: Multiple Android Devices; 5 x ToteVision MD-1001 10.1" Win 7 Tablets
    Devices: Cooper RF9501 x4, RF9517 x6, RF9534 x1, RF9540-N x7, RF9542 x1, RF9542-Z x2, RFHDSCG x1, RFWC5 x5; Intermatic HA02 x6; FortrezZ MIMOLite x3; Leviton VRPD3-1LW x4, VRR15-1LZ x6; Nest Tstat & 9x Protects; Dragon PD-100 x3, PA-100 x3

Keep us updated on the ticket. A upgrade from so many years ago will be enlightening.

As an aside, I have moved all my raspberry pi storage to attached SSD drives due to SD card reliability issues.

When I have zwave network issues, I typically backup and restore the zwave network. That erases the neighbors data and routes. Then I optimize only the non battery Gen500 devices going from the smartstick out to the periphery. I have to do this once every 6m or so when some node dies.

Given that you seem very knowledgeable, I'm curious why do you use a Znet vs a dedicated HS4 server on rpi and maybe z wave extenders as needed?

-Devan

Comment

Originally posted by jrfuda View Post
      I'm a long time (20+ year) HS user that rarely posts lately (think my last post was 2019) becuase everything has been running solidly. Last night my Zwave network stopped working after working nearly perfectly for the last 10ish years (however old first gen ZNet is). It's weird, thought, because it sees state changes of my Zwave security sensors, but gives me "failed sending zwave command" messages when I try to control a device. Sometimes the device will control 10-30 seconds later, even though HS said it failed to send the command. Nodes show as unreachable if I try to audit or optimize them.

Initially, it appeared the ZNet's power supply was going bad as a "hard reboot" by removing power resulted in it not powering back up, even though sudo reboot from an SSH session worked fine just before. After rebooting both HS and the Znet several times via windows (HS) and SSH (Znet) the issues persisted. After completely removing power from teh ZNet, it would not power back up until I swapped the power supply from the original ZNet power supply to one of my CanaKit power supplies.

Since it's booting and rebooting without issue and I can SSH in, I assume the SDCard is not corrupt. Do the ZWave controller in the RPi just go bad?

I am going to file a help ticket as well. Assuming I need to get a new Znet, how hard is it to move everything over without having to do each node individually?
      It should be easy to move over to a new Z-Net. I hope to go over within a week (ordered new Z-Net, but as I'm in the EU a long delivery time).

---
      John

Comment

Im still on HS3, despite owning an HS4 license, because everything worked as needed until yesterday.

I restored a znet backup from 2020 (last time I added anything) but it's still not working. Funny thing is it can still control one device in the house, an aeon labs dimmer, but nothing else, even though hs saiys it fails to send command for the functioning dimmer.
        John
        Hardware: i5-6400T w/16GB RAM & SSD w/HS3Pro, Z-Net, Harmony Hub x2, Echo Dot x2, Ocelot
        Devices: Cooper RF9501 x4, RF9517 x6, RF9534 x1, RF9540-N x7, RF9542 x1, RF9542-Z x2, RFHDSCG x1, RFWC5 x5; Intermatic HA02 x6; FortrezZ MIMOLite x3; Leviton VRPD3-1LW x4, VRR15-1LZ x6; Nest Tstat & 9x Protects; Dragon PD-100 x3, PA-100 x3

Comment

Just went through the house testing. Only my cooper devices have failed. Homeseer, leviton
          , aeon labs and monoprice devices all still work with some delay (probably due to routing with the cooper devices not working). Unfortunately most of my lighting is cooper.
          John

Comment

You probably should verify that one of your devices has not suddenly decided to go south. A malfunctioning zwave device can flood the network and cause problems like you describe.

Comment

jrfuda Based on the age of your Z-net, I'd suggest replacing the SD card. A bad SD card or a bad wall wart has been the two most common failures. I replaced an SD card in one of mine a year or so ago and I now power both of my Z-Nets with PoE.
              "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

Originally posted by aa6vh View Post
                You probably should verify that one of your devices has not suddenly decided to go south. A malfunctioning zwave device can flood the network and cause problems like you describe.
                I believe you figured it out. I turned off all of the circuits containing Zwave devices in the house and when I powered them back up everything was working again. I should have trouble shot it one circuit at a time so I could figure out where the offensive device resides. I will remember that the next time it happens. Thank you.
                John

Comment

Originally posted by jrfuda View Post

I believe you figured it out. I turned off all of the circuits containing Zwave devices in the house and when I powered them back up everything was working again. I should have trouble shot it one circuit at a time so I could figure out where the offensive device resides. I will remember that the next time it happens. Thank you.
                  This is one everyone should file away. I have had several noisy (electrically​​​​​) devices. Frequently, power cycling the device will settle it down, at least temporarily. Just last month I had a Cooper duplex that was chattering so much, it slowed my network to a crawl.
                  HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Working...
                  X