Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Znet G3 FACTORY DEFAULT Option? Bricked a new G3 during IP setup...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Znet G3 FACTORY DEFAULT Option? Bricked a new G3 during IP setup...

Fresh G3 on wired Ethernet, plugged in and booted OK, settling into a yellow / green main LED and random LAN traffic. Could not get the unit to pull assigned IP address from (Windows Server STD 2020) DHCP Server, so I tried enabling G3's Static IP tick box, then keyed in desired static address 192.168.0.143 & subnet mask 255.255.255.0 (no gateway). All looked good, clicked save and unit rebooted, but it always settles into a solid RED main and random LAN traffic after maybe 30 seconds.

I think I may need to factory default the unit, if that is even possible.

Connected this Znet G3 to HDMI display and halfway thru boot sequence I see error FAILURE establishing network interface and console waits at a login prompt. I am not a linux guy but I can find one if need be. Recommendations?

Dan the LAN Man
    "It's always something!"

Follow these instructions:

https://docs.homeseer.com/products/i...twork-settings

Comment

Thank you for your response. I had come across those instructions, but soon after pressing "r" + enter, the Dispatcher daemon for systemd-networkd comes back with "Network settings not changed" and goes about with remaining boot sequences. The Znet guide (G2) suggests the LED will turn BLUE upon success, but mine goes RED instead.

Dan the LAN Man
      "It's always something!"​

Comment

I've reached out to HS Tech Support via email this morning; we shall see...

Dan the LAN Man
        "It's always something!"​​

Comment

After some emailed support ticket chats confirming my bricked G3's misbehavior, HS Support informed me they're sending me a replacement SD memory card carrying virgin code. I will remove four screws in my failed unit to replace, while carefully opening and watching for a "loose" piece of plastic (???). I asked and was told there's no file I can download and reprogram into the now-scrambled original memory card. To be continued...

Dan the LAN Man
          "It's always something!"​​​

Comment

HS confirmed they do not offer downloadable images for the Z-NET G3. I received a replacement Micro SD Memory Card HS Support mailed at no charge and they emailed a prepaid return label. Replacing the original SD card with this fresh one restored booting for my bricked Z-NET G3 and was able to use find.homeseer.com to see it on the LAN.

It's always been my preference to categorize, group and then assign specific IP addresses to specific device groups, based upon their unique MAC address via DHCP address reservation (in a router or dedicated DHCP Server, in my case). Now fearful of "re-bricking" the rejuvenated Z-NET G3 while trying to set the desired IP, I opted to leave the default DHCP-enabled radio button setting in place, and simply add the unit's MAC address to my DHCP Server, which the Z-NET G3 ignores. Looks like I'll have to accept a DHCP pool address. I do feel there is a DHCP-related "bug" in the Z-NET G3 v1.0.24 firmware preventing it from picking up my assigned IP from the dedicated Windows Server 2020 DHCP Server's Reservation Table. I do feel my Z-NET G3 "bricked" as soon as I tried setting a "Static-IP" radio button and IP value, then clicked "submit."

NOTE: During troubleshooting of the bricked unit, HS Support asked me to connect a console and then watch for the Linux prompt to use the "r" key to reset the device's IP setup. As guided by others in this forum, I attached an HDMI display and keyboard to monitor prompting and ensure timing of the "r" key input, but never could recover network settings. That's when HS Support decided to mail the replacement Micro SD. I am finding posts from others reporting same failure, causing me to think there are additional issues beyond DHCP compatibility with the current Z-NET G3 v1.0.24 firmware. But that's just my opinion.

Dan the LAN Man
            "It's always something"

Comment

Before you do any changes on the Z-Net, grab an image backup of the new SD card. It will save you if you ever have another corruption. A second recommendation - image a brand new high quality SD card. Use that in your device and keep the original as an emergency spare. I’ve had great reliability with SanDisc and Samsung top quality devices.
              HS4 Pro, Windows 10 pro

Comment

Originally posted by Dan the LAN man View Post
                HS confirmed they do not offer downloadable images for the Z-NET G3. I received a replacement Micro SD Memory Card HS Support mailed at no charge and they emailed a prepaid return label. Replacing the original SD card with this fresh one restored booting for my bricked Z-NET G3 and was able to use find.homeseer.com to see it on the LAN.

It's always been my preference to categorize, group and then assign specific IP addresses to specific device groups, based upon their unique MAC address via DHCP address reservation (in a router or dedicated DHCP Server, in my case). Now fearful of "re-bricking" the rejuvenated Z-NET G3 while trying to set the desired IP, I opted to leave the default DHCP-enabled radio button setting in place, and simply add the unit's MAC address to my DHCP Server, which the Z-NET G3 ignores. Looks like I'll have to accept a DHCP pool address. I do feel there is a DHCP-related "bug" in the Z-NET G3 v1.0.24 firmware preventing it from picking up my assigned IP from the dedicated Windows Server 2020 DHCP Server's Reservation Table. I do feel my Z-NET G3 "bricked" as soon as I tried setting a "Static-IP" radio button and IP value, then clicked "submit."

NOTE: During troubleshooting of the bricked unit, HS Support asked me to connect a console and then watch for the Linux prompt to use the "r" key to reset the device's IP setup. As guided by others in this forum, I attached an HDMI display and keyboard to monitor prompting and ensure timing of the "r" key input, but never could recover network settings. That's when HS Support decided to mail the replacement Micro SD. I am finding posts from others reporting same failure, causing me to think there are additional issues beyond DHCP compatibility with the current Z-NET G3 v1.0.24 firmware. But that's just my opinion.

Dan the LAN Man
                "It's always something"

I had a similar problem: when attempting to use DHCP for the WiFi interface, the device would lockup. After a few times, the system digested itself and is now not able to find the boot image on the SD. HS support said they are sending me a SD card but they have gone silent: I can't find out if/when they shipped it. I offered to build my own boot SD card but also no response to that. The G3 is sitting on my desk waiting for the SD card. (And I will create an image of the card once I get it in case it acts up again. I had to do that with my older Z-Net years ago. I should have done it on the G3 as soon as it arrived. But because of the DHCP issues, I suspect it might have been a defective image (or defective firmware), anyway. When you got your new image, were you able to use DHCP?

Comment

Originally posted by SAntonoff View Post

I had a similar problem: when attempting to use DHCP for the WiFi interface, the device would lockup. After a few times, the system digested itself and is now not able to find the boot image on the SD. HS support said they are sending me a SD card but they have gone silent: I can't find out if/when they shipped it. I offered to build my own boot SD card but also no response to that. The G3 is sitting on my desk waiting for the SD card. (And I will create an image of the card once I get it in case it acts up again. I had to do that with my older Z-Net years ago. I should have done it on the G3 as soon as it arrived. But because of the DHCP issues, I suspect it might have been a defective image (or defective firmware), anyway. When you got your new image, were you able to use DHCP?
                  SAntonoff: I can't say. When I received the "fresh" Micro SD card, I was 1) short on time and 2) afraid to try reasserting my own IP settings. According to what I've read elsewhere, I feel there may be a couple of DHCP and "r" to Recover Network bugs in the current firmware. I now have two Z-NET G3's online, both using just the factory default settings and wired connections. At some point, I will crack the case again and clone the 32G Micro SD card.

Dan the LAN Man
                  "It's always something"​

Comment

Dan -- did you put each on independent Z-wave networks? or add them as secondaries to an existing network?

Comment

I just had this same exact issue and also bricked my Z-net. I was sent a new SD card, after I replaced it, the same behaviors were repeating themselves. I am unable to do a DHCP reservation for this interface. The MAC on the new interface is CRAZY - f717efde00010000129b294c00253541ad895 as it shows up in my DHCP Server. I can not assign a reservation as it gives me a warning that there is an error with the unique identifier (no kidding)

When I go to the interface directly it displays the correct MAC 02:53:f7:17:ef:de. However trying to do a reservation with that does not do anything. It just will not grab it.

I do not want to give this a static IP because that is how I bricked the first time. Do I have a lemon?

Comment

Working...
                      X