Roadmap to set up a second Z-wave controller with HomeSeer HS4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roadmap to set up a second Z-wave controller with HomeSeer HS4

In another thread, randy​ and zwolfpack have been helping me add a second z-wave controller, a Z-Net G3, to supplement an existing SmartStick+. The conversation branched from more specific topic and deserves its own thread. To folks who contribute here, I suggest it would be most helpful to assume the reader is seeing HS4 Z-wave configuration menus for the first time. Where there is ambiguity, unpack it. Let's include all steps, assuming no prior knowledge of any features of the HS4 user interface. But, of course, links to classic posts about 'how to configure Z-wave networks with HomeSeer' would enrich the thread.

So, here we go, with a few questions generated by a very helpful response from zwolfpack to seed the thread:

Originally posted by zwolfpack View Post
    To restore using the 4.x plugin, it looks like the restore function is accessed using
    Plugins->Z-Wave->Advanced Functions,
    Select function 'Restore Interface from Backup'.
    The file chooser displays all the .nodes files present in the Data/Z-Wave folder.
    Choose the latest one, then click Start.

USE CASE: I've never navigated this user interface before.

REQUEST: Would you help me learn how to use this part of HomeSeer HS4, please?

Q1: Would the above procedure generate a new, separate z-wave network?

Q2: Downstream from this step, is there an option in the HS4 GUI to modify the server configuration without requiring erasures, restoration from old backups, editing of ID's, etc? In particular, does the setup process subsequently offer the option to set up the new controller as either a 'separate network' or an 'inclusion controller'?

Q3: If you wanted to make the added controller secondary, could you achieve that after this step?

-- A little bit of implementation context here: I have just now included a new Z-Net G3 with a unique HomeID and am on 'pause' at this point in the process

My view of the Plugins | Z-Wave | 'Advanced Z-wave Controller Functions' dropdown list (hs4 v.4.2.16.0, zwave plugin v.4.0.3.0) at this point does not include the option to "Make this interface an inclusion controller (secondary) on another network", which is perplexing, since rjh, himself, strongly recommended that approach and reiterated it in several posts in a related thread. Two Z-NET controllers on same Z-Wave Network

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...z-wave-network

There are second-hand reports, on the other hand, that suggest that the official HomeSeer position on the two modes (are there other modes?) may have changed. Other, highly respected experts, such as randy independently advocate the separate-server approach based on their careful evaluation and years of field-testing.

Q4: What topology do you recommend?

Q5: Why?

Q6: What is the roadmap, step-by-step, to use the HomeSeer HS4 Graphical User Interface to set up a second Z-wave controller to configure each of the following Z-wave network topologies?

1) Two separate networks
    2) A primary network with an included secondary controller

Thank you for sharing your time and understanding,

Dean
    Last edited by ; December 24, 2022, 04:47 PM. Reason: Corrected the link 12/24/2022

Fantastic topic -- I have gone through everything and I still can't figure out how to add a Z-net to the SAME existing network -- easy to do with the 3.x Plugin but seems impossible with the 4.1 plugin. I can't wait to see the experts build this roadmap for us...

Comment

Originally posted by ecetron View Post
      Fantastic topic -- I have gone through everything and I still can't figure out how to add a Z-net to the SAME existing network -- easy to do with the 3.x Plugin but seems impossible with the 4.1 plugin. I can't wait to see the experts build this roadmap for us...
      It's no longer recommended to have two Z-Wave interfaces on the same network. It now recommended to have to distinct networks which is as simple as setting up two separate networks.
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I realize what is usually suggested, but my unique situation where I need to associate 4 buttons on a Zen 32 with dimmers 350 feet away leaves me no choice.

Comment

Originally posted by 1dB View Post
          Q1: Would the above procedure generate a new, separate z-wave network?
          No, this is a procedure replace a controller with a new one. The new controller replaces the old one (same network). Only one of these controllers can be powered on at a time or you'll have problems.

Q2: Downstream from this step, is there an option in the HS4 GUI to modify the server configuration without requiring erasures, restoration from old backups, editing of ID's, etc? In particular, does the setup process subsequently offer the option to set up the new controller as either a 'separate network' or an 'inclusion controller'?
          No such option in the HS GUI. Advanced students can blaze their own trail outside of HS as discussed here; however the tools discussed don't support G3 controllers.

Q3: If you wanted to make the added controller secondary, could you achieve that after this step?
          I don't believe so.

Q4: What topology do you recommend?

Q5: Why?​
          Separate networks appear to be the only game in town going forward.

Q6: What is the roadmap, step-by-step, to use the HomeSeer HS4 Graphical User Interface to set up a second Z-wave controller to configure each of the following Z-wave network topologies?

1) Two separate networks​
          Plugins->Z-Wave-> Manage Interfaces; click 'ADD Z_WAVE INTERFACE'; follow the prompts to add the new controller
          For subsequent operations, first select 'Target Z-Wave Interface' on Plugins->Z-Wave-> Manage Interfaces

Comment

Working...
          X