MULTIPLE Z-NETS - How to replace just one

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MULTIPLE Z-NETS - How to replace just one

Hello, I am sure this may have been asked many times before but my search didn't come up with the answer I am looking for.

I have 3 Z-NET Interfaces on my system. One of them is a little buggy and is one of my original ones (say 8 years). I just purchased a new one and I want to replace the buggy one. However, for the life of me I thought this would be straight forward but it's not at least for me.

I thought I could use "Send Network to another controller and make primary" but do I need to select which controller I am sending it to or will it just grab the new one since there is nothing on it? Or do I need to disable the other 2 then run that command?

I don't want to botch this as I have over 100 nodes on this one interface.

Thanks

Just back up the Znet interface you want to replace and that file will be saved (good idea to backup your system as well prior). Disable that Znet and add your new Znet to the Zwave plugin. In the dropdown of the new Znet select Restore a network to this interface (make sure the Znet you are replacing is not on line, and can be removed at this point) and select the file you got from the back up and you should be good to go. I normally disable my other Znets while I'm doing this just in case. Once done start the new Znet. I have noticed when updating my Znets to the G3 that over the next day or so the Znet will update some of the command stuff. I have three of the Znet G3's and 200 devices on them and only had to remove/include about five of them and they were either battery devices of Zwave devices (not Zwave plus or Zwave 700)

Comment

Originally posted by Bigstevep View Post
      Just back up the Znet interface you want to replace and that file will be saved (good idea to backup your system as well prior). Disable that Znet and add your new Znet to the Zwave plugin. In the dropdown of the new Znet select Restore a network to this interface (make sure the Znet you are replacing is not on line, and can be removed at this point) and select the file you got from the back up and you should be good to go. I normally disable my other Znets while I'm doing this just in case. Once done start the new Znet. I have noticed when updating my Znets to the G3 that over the next day or so the Znet will update some of the command stuff. I have three of the Znet G3's and 200 devices on them and only had to remove/include about five of them and they were either battery devices of Zwave devices (not Zwave plus or Zwave 700)
      Thank you. I will try tonight.

Comment

So I was able to get the network transferred into my new interface. However, I do not see the interface listed in my system like the other 2 are. I can however see it in controller manager. Is this just a function of the new version? Not sure why the differences in the interfaces.

All in all, everything seems to be working. Had to reset my front door lock which was a PITA but finally got it in.

Click image for larger version

Name:	POST Z-NET.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	1585386

Comment

Where are you looking where you "do not see the interface listed in my system" ?

Comment

randy zwolfpack

Hey Randy/Zwolfpack, one of my old z-nets has started to make a buzzing noise so I figured I should replace it before it has any issue. I have been reading several threads about how to replace an old z-net and came across this post. I realize it is an older post so I thought I'd ask. Is it still required to set the new z-net up with the same name and IP address?

Also, I wanted to make sure before I start that I have the correct replacement steps down:
            1) Back up the Z-Net that I'm replacing.
            2) Disable the Z-Net being replaced.
            3) Unplug power and disconnect network cable from old Z-Net.
            4) In Homeseer goto Plugins>Z-Wave>Add Interface
            5) Create Name (If I name this Z-Net with the same name as old one, will it cause any issues?)
            6) Select "HomeSeer Z-Net Ethernet" as model
            7) I have multiple Z-Nets so I will not select "Auto" configure, instead will select the new Z-Net unit.
            8) Goto find.homeseer.com and select new Z-Net to fix the IP address to the old Z-Net IP address. (Is this step needed? I had reserved the IP address for the old z-net in my Unifi Pro router. I can disable this setting before disconnecting the old one and then set it in the new Z-Net IP config?)
            9) Goto Plugins>Z-Wave> Advanced Functions and choose "Restore Interface from Backup".

Troubleshooting options:
            - Disabling and re-enabling Z-Net interface.
            - Disabling and re-enabling Z-Wave Plugin
            - Give the new Z-Net 24 hours to re-establish communications.

Will I have any issues with Z-Wave door locks? Battery devices? Anything else I need to keep in mind?

Thank you!!​
            HS4 4.2.6.0 &HSTouch Designer 3.0.80
            Plugin's:
            BLBackup, BLOccupied, BLShutdown, EasyTrigger, Ecobee, Nest, AK Bond
            EnvisaLink DSC, PHLocation, Pushover, SONOS, Blue Iris, UltraRachio3,
            weatherXML, Jon00 Alexa Helper, Network Monitor, MyQ, Z-Wave

Comment

The process is correct. The new one can have the same or different IP and name. The controller is recognized by HomeID, which will be taken care of in the restore. The IP reservation will not work because the new Z-Net will have a different MAC address, but you can create a new one using the same or different IP (delete the old reservation first). All my devices (including locks and battery devices) all transferred over with a restore.
              HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by randy View Post
                The process is correct. The new one can have the same or different IP and name. The controller is recognized by HomeID, which will be taken care of in the restore. The IP reservation will not work because the new Z-Net will have a different MAC address, but you can create a new one using the same or different IP (delete the old reservation first). All my devices (including locks and battery devices) all transferred over with a restore.
                Ok, I've gone through the process and so far everything seems to be working as normal. Fingers crossed! Thank you for your help!
                Happy Thanksgiving!!
                HS4 4.2.6.0 &HSTouch Designer 3.0.80
                Plugin's:
                BLBackup, BLOccupied, BLShutdown, EasyTrigger, Ecobee, Nest, AK Bond
                EnvisaLink DSC, PHLocation, Pushover, SONOS, Blue Iris, UltraRachio3,
                weatherXML, Jon00 Alexa Helper, Network Monitor, MyQ, Z-Wave

Comment

Hello all,
                  I know I posted this over a year ago and since I have been living with at best a half working system. It is now getting frustrating as more and more devices are dropping out. I am still having issues with the newest Z-NET device I had replaced. I tried to do an optimization but over half of the devices can not be reached according to the messages. I am thinking a lemon Z-NET? I am also still not understanding what a Bridge Controller means when the the other 2 Z-NET devices are reporting back as a Static Controller. Any insights?

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	169.7 KB
ID:	1655529

Comment

And again the frustration level is mounting. In a desperate attempt to get my interface back to life, I wiped after doing a backup and restored it. On the surface it appeared all devices (nodes) were replaced in the correct location including scenes. However, it is not doing anything and now I get an error when doing a connectivity test...

Name:	INTERFACE ERROR.png
Views:	60
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	1655567

Comment

Working...
                    X