New Z-NET arrived, will not connect, wrong LAN address

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Z-NET arrived, will not connect, wrong LAN address

Followed instructions using find.homeseer.com, it found everything, but I noticed that the Z-NET had taken the ip address of 192.168.0.106, that LAN is 192.168.1.****, therefore just get following errors....
    Jan-19 18:28:43 Error Posting back to plugin web page ZWaveControllers: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.-> at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.LogicalCallContext.Propaga teIncomingHeadersToCallContext(IMessage msg) at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(Mess ageData& msgData, Int32 type) at HomeSeerAPI.IPlugInAPI.PostBackProc(String page, String data, String user, Int32 userRights) at Scheduler.proxyPage.postBackProc(StateObject& state, String Data)
    Jan-19 18:28:40 Z-Wave Device: 1st Floor Landing / Stair Power Set to 1.014 (W)
    Jan-19 18:28:40 Z-Wave Device: 1st Floor Landing / Stair Watts Set to 1.014 (1.014 Watts)
    Jan-19 18:28:40 Z-Wave Error The Interface failed the initialization: Timeout looking for Z-Wave interface.
    Jan-19 18:28:38 Z-Wave Device: Node 18 Z-Wave Power Set to 0.4 (W)
    Jan-19 18:28:37 Z-Wave Device: Node 18 Z-Wave Watts Set to 0.4 (0.4 Watts)
    Jan-19 18:28:34 Z-Wave Warning YTC Z-NET: Cannot connect to Z-Wave Ethernet at IP 192.168.0.72 port: 2001, Ex=A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond 192.168.0.72:2001
    Jan-19 18:28:33 Z-Wave Device: Ground Kitchen Under Cabinet Watts Set to 32.659 (32.659 Watts)
    Jan-19 18:28:30 Z-Wave Error YTC Z-NET: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxx
    Jan-19 18:28:30 Z-Wave Error YTC Z-NET: Timeout looking for Z-Wave interface.
    Jan-19 18:28:30 Z-Wave Error YTC Z-NET: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxx
    sigpic
    A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

192.168.0.72 is the initial address displayed when you set up a new interface and select interface model 'Ethernet Interface'. You probably didn't change it.

Go to Plugins->Controller Management. Either enter the correct IP address, or switch the interface model to 'HomeSeer Z-NET Ethernet'. The latter allows selection from Z-Nets that have registered with find.homeseer.com.

Comment

Originally posted by zwolfpack View Post
      192.168.0.72 is the initial address displayed when you set up a new interface and select interface model 'Ethernet Interface'. You probably didn't change it.

Go to Plugins->Controller Management. Either enter the correct IP address, or switch the interface model to 'HomeSeer Z-NET Ethernet'. The latter allows selection from Z-Nets that have registered with find.homeseer.com.
      Thanks, but how do I discover what ip address it has been allocated, find.homeseer.com returns the wrong address.
      sigpic
      A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

Comment

If you got to find.homeseer and click on the link for the new Z-Net, does it open the Z-Net's web page? If so, the IP address is displayed there.

Comment

If you got to find.homeseer and click on the link for the new Z-Net, does it open the Z-Net's web page? If so, the IP address is displayed there.
          No, the link times out. if you ping te address 192.168.0.102 no response, bear in mind the net is 192.168.1.***
          sigpic

Comment

My experience setting up a new Z-Net G3 in November, 2022 was less than ideal for being a modern network device. I bricked my first new unit by attempting to change it to use my own static IP (to match a DHCP reservation) in the webform found using find.homeseer.com. Next failure was observed trying to reset the Z-Net G3's current network settings as instructed by HS T/S to connect HDMI console and watch for "press "r" key within 10 seconds" at the critical spot during the Linux bootup. Only fix was to wait for HS to mail replacement internal MicroSD card. They say smart guys clone that fresh MicroSD card at this point!

Rather than chance bricking it again after replacing MicroSD card mailed from HS Support, I accepted the unreserved "next available" IP address the unit received by default using its "use DHCP" setting. find.homeseer.com locates the new G3 albeit their default naming is a bit cryptic. I use free Advanced IP Scanner to locate IP's for my records, but the unit seems to be using hostname or MAC address to self-register with the DHCP server. I am quick to admit I don't understand HS's implementation of DHCP on the Z-Net G3, but I have chosen to accept their defaults and not mess with IP settings any more at this time! (I do wish every networking product included its MAC address on an external sticker.)

Dan the LAN Man
            "It's always something!"

Comment

There's one possible scenario I can think of ... by chance did you try to set a static address on the Z-Net's web page?

A couple of data points you could collect:

1) connect up a monitor and watch as it boots up. Near the end should be a line "My IP address is ..." That may provide the info you need.

2) unplug the Z-Net; after about 20 minutes it's entry should disappear from find.homeseer.

If the Z-Net appears on find.homeseer.com, it has an address on you LAN. It may also have an additional (bogus) static address.

Comment

There's one possible scenario I can think of ... by chance did you try to set a static address on the Z-Net's web page?

Nope I could not access the web page.

A couple of data points you could collect:

1) connect up a monitor and watch as it boots up. Near the end should be a line "My IP address is ..." That may provide the info you need.

Not an option at this point.

2) unplug the Z-Net; after about 20 minutes it's entry should disappear from find.homeseer.

It does dissapeer.

If the Z-Net appears on find.homeseer.com, it has an address on you LAN. It may also have an additional (bogus) static address.
                Is there a way to do a reset?

sigpic

Comment

There is a reset function; however at least two users I've interacted with weren't able to get it to work with the G3 Z-Net.

Plug in a keyboard into one of the USB ports. Power up the unit, and wait until the indicator LED illuminates amber. This should last approx. 10 seconds. During the time it's amber, on the keyboard press the 'R' key then the 'enter' key. Success is signaled by the LED transitioning from amber to green. Normally it transitions to red; if it does that it means the reset didn't take.

The previous poster suggested Advanced IP Scanner. If you can identify the address, you can open the web page and hopefully reset it from there.

https://www.advanced-ip-scanner.com/

Comment

Thank you all for your help and suggestions. Finally got it to work with the help of ip-scanner. It had a static address in it.
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X