Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This behavior is limited to ZNet v1. It's commented out in v2.

If you can log in to the unit, you can modify it to your liking. The file is /var/www/Main/Net.php. Insert a '#' character at the start of each of lines no. 348, 349, 350, 354 as shown. (Image is of the Z-Net v2 file opened in Notepad++).
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by randy View Post
      Nevertheless HST ran into a number of people who had WiFi enabled and their wired interface configured for a different subnet because they moved the Z-Net or changed routers, rendering the Z-Net inaccessible.
      FWIW, a device with an IP address NOT in the same subnet as other devices is trivial to access over the same LAN. You can simply assign a secondary IP address to a computer interface that is in the same physical network as the wayward device and you cand reach it directly with either a browser or SSH and correct the IP misconfiguration. At that point both networks are accessible from the computer. No reboot required, can be done in seconds by anyone relatively computer savvy. We have to do this all the time at my work for printers that are shipped around between locations without setting them to DHCP before shutdown.

Comment

My favorite solution to this is what ubiquiti do on their Airmax line (I'm sure others do something similar).

Enable dhcp, and I do all my IP management through reservations. But when you enable dhcp, it gives you an option to assign a fallback IP address. Can't find a dhcp server, well then you can tell it what IP to use.

Be nice if more companies used that solution.

Comment

Originally posted by mterry63 View Post

FWIW, a device with an IP address NOT in the same subnet as other devices is trivial to access over the same LAN. You can simply assign a secondary IP address to a computer interface that is in the same physical network as the wayward device and you cand reach it directly with either a browser or SSH and correct the IP misconfiguration. At that point both networks are accessible from the computer. No reboot required, can be done in seconds by anyone relatively computer savvy. We have to do this all the time at my work for printers that are shipped around between locations without setting them to DHCP before shutdown.

This works well if you know the IP of the destination device. If you don’t know the static IP (or at least the subnet) of the Z-Net it is not so trivial. I think HSTs approach was aimed at people who are not computer savvy. It is also very easy to hook a monitor and keyboard to a Z-Net. At boot up you have the option to reset it to defaults and/or see the assigned IP address.

For those of us who are computer savvy there are many ways to find and fix IP issues, even when a device has a static IP outside of your home subnet, but I’m not sure that applies to the majority of HS/Z-Net users. I would bet the majority who had the problem have some canned router/AP solution, replaced their router with a new SSID, killing WiFi access and having it need to revert to wired to reconfigure. Out of the dozens of people I have personally helped with similar HS problems, I would say I am surprised at how many use the default subnet , SSID and pass phrase. When they swap routers every single WiFi device has to be reconfigured for the new SSID and pass phrase. When I ask them this information, they read it off the tag of their router. These folks are not savvy, they are plug and play users.

As I wrote above, this was simply the approach HST decided to take and it applies only to a specific scenario. If you only configure the wired interface you can still assign a static IP rendering it inaccessible if moved to another subnet.

Commenting out the lines as David suggests will return the ability to set static for both wired and wireless interfaces.
          HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by randy View Post
            When WiFi is configured for static, wired is forced to DHCP on all recent versions of Z-Net firmware. I don’t remember if v.17 was that way. The image in the guide might be from one of the earliest versions from several years ago. This is so the Z-net won’t become inaccessible if WiFi becomes inaccessible. I question the need of having both configured as static, but an easy workaround is to use a DHCP reservation for the wired MAC address.

If WiFi is not configured, you can choose static for wired. I just leave both at DHCP and set reservations in my router.
            Coming back to this now after a long delay. Just for fun I tried changing my wifi to dhcp reservation to see what happens, but the wired connection remains unable to take a static IP:

Click image for larger version

Name:	dhcp.png
Views:	725
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	1486222

Next step now, gonna see if I can get in there and mess with the code as has also been suggested...

Paul

Comment

rjh Still wondering if there's any chance of installing 1.0.23 or 1.0.24 on my 1.0.22 znet? Or is the answer basically "Not worth doing, not enough changes".

Comment

Originally posted by zwolfpack View Post
                This behavior is limited to ZNet v1. It's commented out in v2.

If you can log in to the unit, you can modify it to your liking. The file is /var/www/Main/Net.php. Insert a '#' character at the start of each of lines no. 348, 349, 350, 354 as shown. (Image is of the Z-Net v2 file opened in Notepad++).
                Went digging and commented out the php that limits the static IP config. Worked great! . Many thanks for that.

Any other interesting things you found while digging around in there?

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by paul View Post

Coming back to this now after a long delay. Just for fun I tried changing my wifi to dhcp reservation to see what happens, but the wired connection remains unable to take a static IP:

Click image for larger version

Name:	dhcp.png
Views:	725
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	1486222

Next step now, gonna see if I can get in there and mess with the code as has also been suggested...

Paul
                  I might have misstated. I no longer use the HS Z-Net firmware so I may be remembering wrong. It might be that when WiFI is configured the Ethernet is forced to DHCP

HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

The changes do not affect the operation of the unit, so I would not bother updating.

Originally posted by paul View Post
                    rjh Still wondering if there's any chance of installing 1.0.23 or 1.0.24 on my 1.0.22 znet? Or is the answer basically "Not worth doing, not enough changes".
                    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Has anyone else seen version 1.0.24 on their Z-Nets?
                      I have been shipped units with that version, but it is not mentioned on the Opening Post ?

Comment

Hi there, My Z-Net is indicating that there is an update available
                        Z-NET Configuration - Version 1.0.22 Update Available
                        But when clicking update, it's not updating. And comes back with already installed version 1.0.22.

Any ideas? Or not worth trying?

Cheers Christiaan

Comment

Originally posted by zwolfpack View Post
                          session starts like this - enter homeseer@hostname or homeseer@ipaddr then open.

[ATTACH]58021[/ATTACH]

once you're logged in you can't miss the command line - its where the cursor is and where text shows up when you type...

[ATTACH]58020[/ATTACH]
                          What generation of ZNet device are you using? I can get into my G2 units just fine with default credentials, but for the life of me I cannot figure out the credentials for G3.

Thanks,
                          Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Deniolan View Post
                            for the life of me I cannot figure out the credentials for G3.
                            +1 on that.
                            My G3 arrived today, and I can't get logged in either.

G

Comment

Originally posted by gmitch64 View Post

+1 on that.
                              My G3 arrived today, and I can't get logged in either.

G
                              I struggled with this for days before I finally decided to brute force it by putting the SD card in a USB card reader in my Hometroller Pi and editing the /etc/shadow file to replace the password. I backed up the file first of course. The homeseer user was in the file, but who knows what the password was. I copied the encrypted password string from the same file on my Hometroller, pasted it into the file on Z-Net's SD card, put the card back in the Z-Net, and I can log in now.

Comment

Originally posted by QuikDraw View Post

I struggled with this for days before I finally decided to brute force it by putting the SD card in a USB card reader in my Hometroller Pi and editing the /etc/shadow file to replace the password. I backed up the file first of course. The homeseer user was in the file, but who knows what the password was. I copied the encrypted password string from the same file on my Hometroller, pasted it into the file on Z-Net's SD card, put the card back in the Z-Net, and I can log in now.
                                I bought a Z-NET G3 last week. I got an issue is I can find it on find.homeseer.com, but couldn't connect it to HS4. Looks like it's Z-Wave interface problem.Maybe I should try to edit /etc/passwd to get login the system

Comment

Working...
                                X