Z-NET WIFI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Z-NET WIFI

The above is applicable. Above, I posed the thought that you could spoof the eth0 NIC card's MAC address onto the wlan0 wireless NIC card.
    This way the DHCP server hosted on the home router would auto-assign the same IP address on the wireless card that the NIC was assigned.
    The only stipulation would be that you don't want to have both network cards connected to the network at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

This will not work. Even if only one interface is connected to a LAN at a time, both will still be connected to the host (rpi). There is a reason that hardware addresses are 48 bits long (2^48 theoretical unique addresses) -- to minimize opportunity of having two identical in the same LAN. Now you are advocating putting two identical in the same HOST!! This is a recipe for Very Bad Things...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Ok, so we've came to the consensus that there's only one entry in Homeseer Z-Wave Plugin in regards to the Z-Net's two IP address', typically the Ethernet IP, and when you choose to use the WIFI temporarily to add remote devices you just go in and change the IP address in said Homeseer Z-Wave Plugin. Correct?

Comment

as far as I know that is correct. This applies if you want to have a "fixed" IP address (ie with a router reserved IP address). I am not sure if that is the case if you left everything to DHCP alone.

Comment

I am not sure if that is the case if you left everything to DHCP alone.
            You know earlier in the thread I said that the power went out and apparently the router came back up and my Fixed IP Z-Net came up on a DHCP IP and nothing was working. I don't think DHCP would work at all if it kept getting assigned Different IP's, you'd just have to keep changing the IP in the Plugin. Unless I'm missing something.

Comment

I posed the question to Homseer tech support regarding how to configure the new znet when I got this replacement znet about 2 months ago, (my first gen unit was damaged by a power surge) and this was the response from Mark:

"I apologize for the delay in communication, although you shouldn't have to make any adjustments in HS3, as when you use the HomeSeer Z-Net Ethernet option you select your unit by name, as opposed to its IP address".

Regardless I could not figure out what he was talking about and had to try different things until I got it working as described above.

Comment

There are two 'interface model' options for connecting a Z-Net.

First is 'HomeSeer Z-NET Ethernet'. With this option, a pick-list is presented, populated by entries retrieved from the find.homeseer.com database. For an interface to appear here, it must have internet connectivity, and must be properly configured for same.

Second is 'Ethernet Interface'. This is fairly straightforward, the connection is made to the specified IP address. Although it doesn't say so, a hostname can be entered here rather than its IP address, as long as the hostname can be resolved. If the Z-NET is configured for DHCP, this should work (at least it does for my router, running DD-WRT).

Comment

Hey Guys, can any help with znet i cant for the life of me get it to show 2 ip addresses so i can go wifi. I did once but now it is back to one.

Comment

bpryde You should be able to go to the z-net page at 192.168.1.xxx and be presented with a configuration page. The lower half is for the wifi. complete the SSID and password and click submit.

Comment

Can someone help and tell me how to enable the wireless adaptor? It's a Pi3 board with built in wifi/bluetooth.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                      X