No announcement yet.

Homeseer and HomeKit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just got this running in less than 30mins thank to jvm's plugin. Have to wait to test on wifes iphone I'm on andriod

Comment

Originally posted by Duc998 View Post
      I just got this running in less than 30mins thank to jvm's plugin. Have to wait to test on wifes iphone I'm on andriod
      Yes there is good docs on jvm site!

Comment

Originally posted by MattL0 View Post
        I did setup homebridge with your plugin today. jvm . Mostly for the geofencing part.

It does work. But, it's unclear what apple use for this. Does it use the ios cloud ?
        Regarding the Geofencing and homekit - Yes, iOS users Apple's cloud service to communicate to homekit devices whenever you are not on your local Wi-Fi. To make this work, you also need an Apple TV or else an iPAD in your home -- these serve as the bridge between the iOS cloud and your home devices when you are accessing them remotely. Its all seamless and requires little setup (most of the setup is automatic as long as you are logged into the same iCloud accounts on your phone and the bridging Apple TV or iPad). Hope that helps answer your question.

Comment

Originally posted by jvm View Post

Regarding the Geofencing and homekit - Yes, iOS users Apple's cloud service to communicate to homekit devices whenever you are not on your local Wi-Fi. To make this work, you also need an Apple TV or else an iPAD in your home -- these serve as the bridge between the iOS cloud and your home devices when you are accessing them remotely. Its all seamless and requires little setup (most of the setup is automatic as long as you are logged into the same iCloud accounts on your phone and the bridging Apple TV or iPad). Hope that helps answer your question.

Ahh I just tried to access homebridge remotely. So I'll need an Apple TV or ipad using the same icloud account to make this work remotely.

My kids are on their own icloud accounts so this will mean they can only use home kit via wifi but not remotely?

Comment

Originally posted by Duc998 View Post

Ahh I just tried to access homebridge remotely. So I'll need an Apple TV or ipad using the same icloud account to make this work remotely.

My kids are on their own icloud accounts so this will mean they can only use home kit via wifi but not remotely?
            HomePod also works for remote access (and with AirplaySpeak Plug-in can be used with TTS with HomeSeer).

I dint think being in another iCloud account matters. Nothing that I’ve read in how to share HomeKit has that as a restriction.

Comment

Originally posted by randman View Post

HomePod also works for remote access (and with AirplaySpeak Plug-in can be used with TTS with HomeSeer).

I dint think being in another iCloud account matters. Nothing that I’ve read in how to share HomeKit has that as a restriction.
              Everything I've read says you have to be logged in to the same iCloud account. See https://www.the-ambient.com/how-to/s...omekit-hub-421

However, I don't think that's entirely correct. My family members are logged into different iCloud accounts and it still works. However, I have our iCloud accounts set up as Apple "Family Sharing" accounts and "share" the HomeKit Home among family members and this seems to work fine. See: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201060 regarding setting up Family Sharing. Maybe its enough if at least one family member is on the same account as the Apple TV or iPAD. I haven't experimented enough with this to be sure (I never ran into a problem so I never had to think about it).

My advice would be to not reply on an iPAD for remote access (what would happen when a family member brings it someplace). I'd suggest an Apple TV if you can use one as it is in a single place and more reliable (particularly if Ethernet connected).

Comment

I agree. You want something that’s permanently plugged in. Also, if you have more than one Apple TV and/or HomePod, they can serve as backup so if one goes down it will failover seamlessly to the other.

Comment

Kind of off-topic but here goes...

Can homebridge (nodejs + jvm plugin) be installed and run on a Zee S2 controller? My daughter recently moved to her own place and misses the homebridge integration with HS I have setup at our house. She's running a Zee S2 with a half dozen z-wave devices along with a Philips Hue bridge and bulbs. Her preferred control UI is Siri/Homekit so she really wants to control the z-wave lights from Siri.

Thanks,
                  Ken

Comment

Originally posted by kenm View Post
                    Kind of off-topic but here goes...

Can homebridge (nodejs + jvm plugin) be installed and run on a Zee S2 controller? My daughter recently moved to her own place and misses the homebridge integration with HS I have setup at our house. She's running a Zee S2 with a half dozen z-wave devices along with a Philips Hue bridge and bulbs. Her preferred control UI is Siri/Homekit so she really wants to control the z-wave lights from Siri.

Thanks,
                    Ken
                    I don't use a Zee S2, but if its running Linux and you can install apps on it like you could a Raspberry Pi, then it should be possible. There are instructions in the Wiki on setting up Homebridge and the HomeSeer plugin for Linux. See https://github.com/jvmahon/homebridg...ion-and-Errors

Alternatively, you could just get a Raspberry Pi as homebridge does run on that and you would set the "Hosts" name in the plugin's config.json to point to the Zee S2.

Comment

After doing some additional reading I've found that it's not recommended to add apps to the Zee S2 due to the fact that the Raspbian version on the S2 is pretty old. Many apps would need more up-to-date libraries and adding those libraries could create instability for the HS installation.

As jvm said, better to go with a separate RPi running Homebridge and pointing it to the Zee S2.

Comment

Originally posted by kenm View Post
                        After doing some additional reading I've found that it's not recommended to add apps to the Zee S2 due to the fact that the Raspbian version on the S2 is pretty old. Many apps would need more up-to-date libraries and adding those libraries could create instability for the HS installation.

As jvm said, better to go with a separate RPi running Homebridge and pointing it to the Zee S2.
                        As a personal preference, I find it easier to set up everything on a Windows laptop or computer (Raspian file permissions always give me a headache!). But you can certainly get Raspian to work and (I hope) the instructions on the Wiki will be clear enough.

Comment

Hey jvm quick question. On the wifes iphone sometimes Home app will show devices as "updating" and she cant turn on/off a device. Only fix is to restart homebridge. Any clues on what to look for?

Comment

I've been using Homebridge on a Raspberry Pi for... seems like more than 2 years now. Just updated it a week ago to auto-start on Pi boot along with my HS Linux version using systemctl. It hasn't locked up in quite a while (was mainly an AppleTV homebridge plugin!), but if it does, It'll be easy to restart HS & Homebridge with a single command or just schedule it to reboot in the middle of the night. Homebridge is a brilliant addition to Homeseer as it gives reliable Siri VR for device & event control of HS and a two-way control interface between HS & Homekit & anything else available to hook into homebridge, itself. Homebridge isn't "just" a bridge between Homeseer & Homekit. ie.I can use the cmd2switch Homebridge plugin to turn my computer screens on/off when I go to sleep/wake up. Had to setup remote SSH auto-authentication, but it works fast and reliably. All of the disconnected services working together gets me the following with a simple, "Hey Siri, Good night": 1) Homekit triggers the turning off of the computer displays via homebridge. 2) locks my doors via Homekit/AppleTV/Bluetooth August lock. 3) Turns off all lights/devices (media center mostly controlled via IR) via Homeseer and sets the home to night mode. Just set up PHLocation2 & geoFency yesterday in HS to auto-arm my security when I leave the home geofence and turn on the air when I enter the home fence. Ordered a few iBeacons for narrower location triggers (car, work, garage etc.) as well as started playing around with programmable NFC NTAGs. Homeseer does a lot! But Homeseer + Homebridge & Homekit does SO much more. Depending on how you set it all up, all of the services compliment one another and don't have to overlap functionality at all. With the upcoming iOS 13 Homekit/Shortcut automation updates, things are going to be even better.

Comment

I just installed homebridge and have an issue with my HS-WD200+ dimmers being controlled. It seems that a normal switch works fine but cannot get the dimmers to work. Am I missing something?

{
                              "bridge":
                              {
                              "name": "Test-Homebridge",
                              "username": "CD:22:3D:E3:CE:31",
                              "port": 51826,
                              "pin": "032-45-155"
                              },

"description": "Change this line to any description you want.",

"platforms":
                              [
                              {
                              "platform": "HomeSeer",
                              "name": "Homeseer",
                              "host": "http://192.168.9.66:80",
                              "ASCIIport":11000,

"lightbulbs": [1740, 1186, 1131, 1073]

}

]
                              }

Comment

Originally posted by ando1 View Post
                                I just installed homebridge and have an issue with my HS-WD200+ dimmers being controlled. It seems that a normal switch works fine but cannot get the dimmers to work. Am I missing something?

{
                                "bridge":
                                {
                                "name": "Test-Homebridge",
                                "username": "CD:22:3D:E3:CE:31",
                                "port": 51826,
                                "pin": "032-45-155"
                                },

"description": "Change this line to any description you want.",

"platforms":
                                [
                                {
                                "platform": "HomeSeer",
                                "name": "Homeseer",
                                "host": "http://192.168.9.66:80",
                                "ASCIIport":11000,

"lightbulbs": [1740, 1186, 1131, 1073]

}

]
                                }

That should work. Message me directly and I'll try to help you some more. The HS-WD200 should show up as a dimmer, not a "regular" switch.
                                Do other dimmers work?
                                Check the "Advanced" tab for the dimmer - is its "Device Type (String)" set to "Z-Wave Switch Multilevel"? It needs to be.

Comment

Working...
                                X