Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MattL0
    replied
    Can’t wait to see all the stuff you’ll be able to do with your plugin and zigbee2mqtt

Leave a comment:

• Michael McSharry
    replied
    I followed the step-by-step setup instructions in the wiki referenced by the link in the first post and added the $10 CC2531 USB sniffer zigbee interface to a RPi. This is my first step into zigbee and got some xaomi water leak sensors that were selling on gearbest promotion for $9 each with free shipping.

The interface online status is reported as one topic. There were also log topics published during the device discovery and pairing. Event messages with water detection and removal were also provided.

Code:
    zigbee/bridge/state=online

zigbee/bridge/log={"type":"pairing","message":"connecting with device"}
    zigbee/bridge/log={"type":"pairing","message":"device incoming"}
    zigbee/bridge/log={"type":"device_connected","message":"0x00158d00026e2bf1"}

zigbee/0x00158d00026e2bf1={"water_leak":true,"linkquality":31}
    The linkquality range from 5 to 102 in my test for about 50 ft through multiple indoor walls to a foot between the sensor and the CC2531.

The MQTT association page shows the event and online topics to be associated with HS devices as desired.

The first part of the setup is flashing the provided firmware into the CC2531. The debugger and cable for flashing were another $13.50. I'm willing to flash for anybody who expresses interest in the USA. Shipping should be pretty cheap for the little CC2531 and that would avoid the need to procure the flashing components.

I do not know how this compares with other zigbee options, but was a pretty painless and low cost way for me to get those nice low cost water sensors into HS. It seems the list of supported devices is pretty large so could be a good approach for many other sensors. I may pick up a zigbee output device such as a bulb to evaluate the control capability via MQTT.

Leave a comment:

• ServiceXp
    replied
    Whoa.. this could really turn out to be pretty darn useful. I'll be watching to see if the support device list grows...

Leave a comment:

• MattL0
    replied
    I didn't play with Zigbee2mqtt. And i do not think it is as mature as Deconz yet. But in the future, I think Zigbee2mqtt is going to surpass it due to it being opensource.

You have a list a component here : https://github.com/Koenkk/zigbee2mqt...ported-devices But to be sure i'd check on the GitHub issue ''forum'' page.

From a naif point of view, by looking at this device page, it seems there are more DIY devices ''supported'' by zigbee2mqtt.

--

You are bringing some good arguments here. Cost ( in time) of maintenance, in the long run, favor MQTT.

Leave a comment:

• Michael McSharry
    replied
    I like the approach of using an interface protocol for integration such is the case with zigbee2MQTT rather than using Homeseer or Home Assistant for this purpose. At any point in time it does not make much difference with either approach, but over time software packages change and generally protocols remain backward compatible if they do change. I had much time invested with plugins in the original Homeseer and then HS2 came along and the plugin interface had a major change. This means a another big investment in time if I wanted to keep current with HS. At that fork I adopted xAP as my interface protocol so was able to keep all the specialized applications/plugins running and only needed to manage software update of one plugin (mcsXap). I continue to use xAP for my legacy automation. Anything new talks MQTT.

I have not been in the market for Zigbee. Do you have some suggestions for products that are very effective that I can play with with zigbee2MQTT?

I have found the limiting factor for applications on a Pi-class computer is the RAM. This is especially true for those that are developed in .NET/Mono. I really have not tried to overload the ones I have. This is primarily because I want to minimize independence of the applications. If one goes down I do now want it bringing several others down with it.

Leave a comment:

• Pete
    replied
    a new access point router in my place.

Here yesterday built a new OpenWRT WAP moving it to permanent location and dedicated it to the WiFi Mosquitto devices. Old test WAP was sitting on my office desk (2nd floor) which covered the whole house including the basement and garage.

I have Installed diet pi on those with the following : node-red, squeezelite (Logitech media server clients), shairport-sync.
    I plan to install home assistant on all of them too.

Without it the pi's are fine now.

Do you think the load would be too big?

Here never purchased any RPi3's and used only RPi2's for my tinkering. I have run Squeezelite on them but not shareport sync.

First mosquitto RPi2 testing was running Node Red, MQTT broker, OWFS connected to a 1-wire network ....didn't work too hard.

The RPi2 in the attic was also running Node Red / OWFS, SDR / NOAA satellite map downloading and ZWave inside mounted module....that never worked too hard..

You can check utilization running htop from an SSH session.

Here utilizing DIY'd Squeeze players on the Joggler touchscreens running Ubuntu 16.04 32 bit from a 1Gb or 2Gb eMMC on a dual stream Intel Atom computer with 512Mb of RAM. These never work hard. Cheap today if you can find a used O2 Joggler for $10 or $20. Changing the BIOS from an EFI to '86 BIOS lets me run Windows XP embedded on these with Homeseer touch just fine. (added mod of a 16Gb SSD drive to the HSTouch screens).

New Mosquitto and Samsung OmniLink program is working well with the OmniPro 2 panel in Windows 2016 Server. It will also run on a RPi2 and currently testing it on the Pine64 2Gb computer.

It is destined to run on the HS3 Pro Ubuntu machine alongside the Homeseer 3 Omni plugin.

Might do some HSTouch like screens with Node Red for it.

The OP2 has multiple IP and serial connections to it today and working well.

Click image for larger version  Name:	OmniLink.jpg Views:	1 Size:	158.7 KB ID:	1253606

xxxxx

Leave a comment:

• MattL0
    replied
    Hi Pete,

Since i Have added a new access point router in my place. Wifi is not a concern anymore. + It gives me the opportunity to wire all my raspi's. ( two of them are near the new router access point so i will just pass wires ).

So, your post is very interesting. Will definitely go this route in my spare time , minus smart thing ( gave it to my mom 1 year ago) and the Hai leviton.

---

I have a question for you, I know the raspi are not the fastest out there ( when i compare it to my Odroid xu4 ( witch Boot from a USB ssd), and of course my main Ubuntu server.

I have 3 raspberry pi. one of them is a raspi 3b, and the two others are 3b+ model.

For now, I have Installed diet pi on those with the following : node-red, squeezelite (Logitech media server clients), shairport-sync.
    I plan to install home assistant on all of them too.
    Without it the pi's are fine now.

Do you think the load would be too big? A real life **worst case** scenario would be ( at the ''same'' time ): I stream music to squeeze-lite, a tts message is sent to shairport, some node-red nodes are activated and some addons from Hass too.

I will need to test that, but maybe, by experience you'll have somewhat an idea.

Leave a comment:

• Pete
    replied
    I have Zigbee running here but not using the deconz + jowihue plugin.

I have been using the mcsMQTT plugin much lately relating to WiFi devices with upgradable ESP based firmware talking Mosquitto.

I still utilize X10, UPB, ZWave and Zigbee a la carte here. Have an Insteon PLM and Insteon device and removed most of them a few years back.

The above mentioned Mosquitto approach can be utilized with a la carte or combo devices like an RPi / ZWave or X10 or UPB POE device.

Click image for larger version  Name:	zigbee2mosquitto.jpg Views:	1 Size:	21.8 KB ID:	1253485

In Homesee 3 have installed mcsMQTT and it is working well with 4 Wifi devices which have modded firmware.

1 - Multiple purpose combo Garage Door sensor, opener and temperature sensor (Tasmota firmware based)
    2 - 1-wire temperature hub - one of two hubs to watch temperatures inside and outside of the home.
    Using one Sonoff Basic Wifi device for this rather than the older Node Red / OWFS / RPi approach - much simpler interface and works fine 100% of the time. Each Sonoff Wifi basic 1-wire hub will have up to 10 sensors connected to them. (Tasmota firmware based)
    3 - RGB controller with manual override (ESP easy based firmware rather than Tasmota)
    4 - LED strip controller with manual override (ESP easy based firmware rather than Tasmota)

Personally like the new glass panel wall light WiFi switch and considering testing one with upgraded firmware to run Mosquitto.

This in contrast to already using in wall X10, UPB, Insteon, Zigbee and ZWave switches.

Click image for larger version  Name:	SONOFF.jpg Views:	1 Size:	52.2 KB ID:	1253486
    In the last few days installed to use Home Assistant here dedicating it to one computer. I have tested it to work fine on some small Intel power touchscreens and it does well.

Slow baby steps here have started to do more and more tinkering with Mosquitto

Click image for larger version  Name:	HA.jpg Views:	1 Size:	30.4 KB ID:	1253487

Click image for larger version  Name:	Nnodered.jpg Views:	1 Size:	91.6 KB ID:	1253488

Click image for larger version  Name:	nnodereddashboard.jpg Views:	1 Size:	13.4 KB ID:	1253489
    Just yesterday installed a new Mosquitto interface which talks to my Leviton Omni Pro 2 panel and Smartthings and Homeseer 3.

Leviton has introduced a Wifi switch line (talks to the Leviton Cloud) which probably is the same as what everybody is using today relating to the WiFi swith. Not sure though if they will ever introduce a wifi controller to the legacy OmniPro combo security automation panels.

Monoprice now also is selling wifi devices (which talks to the MonoPrice cloud) and I am guessing too that these will be easy to upgrade to Mosquitto use.

All of the new el cheapo WiFi switches are based on the same technology. Here in the US the UL approved WiFi switches are a bit more expensive due to UL approval.

Click image for larger version  Name:	HAI-Smartthings.jpg Views:	1 Size:	31.7 KB ID:	1253494

Tiny low utilization application running fine on the Homeseer 3 Pro computer doing Ubuntu and Windows VB's.

xxxxx
    Last edited by Pete; October 16th, 2018, 07:17 AM.

Leave a comment:

• MattL0
    started a topic Zigbee2MQTT

Zigbee2MQTT

I know a lot of us (including me) use the deconz + jowihue plugin.

But what do you think about the Zigbee2MQTT +mcsmqtt approach ?

https://github.com/Koenkk/zigbee2mqt...ster/README.md

Anyone has a zigbee2mqtt setup?
    Last edited by MattL0; October 16th, 2018, 06:35 PM. Reason: bad spelling, cuz of my somewhat bad noob English
Working...
X