Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the most stable and wife-proof platfor for HS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• langenet
    replied
    Thanks Fellhahn, for this detail response. While I would likely bounce my server within 3 months, I never thought there was a deferral timer.
    I just may have to adjust my settings.

Much appreciated...

Robert

Leave a comment:

• Fellhahn
    replied
    Originally posted by langenet View Post

Just wondering... why not just leave the updates running since no action to install them is taken unless you say so. I run Win2k16 and in my opinion, this is a super stable OS for HS3. I usually ghost the system each month but have left my system up for more than 2months without issue. At this point, I proceed with the updates. Curious, what's the command in sconfig to set them manual?

Robert
    Here are some screenshots of sconfig:

Click image for larger version

Name:	sconfig1.PNG
Views:	41
Size:	163.2 KB
ID:	1255076

Here you press 5 to specify update settings.

Click image for larger version

Name:	sconfig2.PNG
Views:	41
Size:	7.9 KB
ID:	1255077

(This screenshot was taken from a server at my work, in this case "Custom" is appearing due to some group policy configuration of update settings.)

You are given three choices.

Don't use Automatic, for obvious reasons. The server will update and restart at a time that is guaranteed to f*** up your day, Murphy's Law. You can specify an "Active Hours" window, which is a period of time in which updates will not be installed. But it can at maximum be set to 10 hours. So at best you still have a 14 hour window each day where updates might suddenly ride in and wreck up the place.

DownloadOnly: At first glance this seems self explanatory, the server will perform periodic checks against MS online to look for new updates. When found, the update will download to disk, but wait for your approval to install. But there's a little more to it than that. My understanding is that updates these days have a maximum deferral timer. You can postpone or refuse to install updates for a period of time but once the deferral period has fully expired, the update will install regardless of whether you want it to or not. Typically this period is 3 or 6 months. The deferral timer is started as soon as the server/PC becomes informed that an update is available.

Manual: The server will not even contact MS for update checks until you tell it to. This means it's never even aware an update has been released, therefore no deferral timer is started. This is why I use manual.

You'll note in the first screenshot that menu option 6 starts an update check. This is an alternative to starting the update check via the modern Windows Settings app, and if you are using a "headless" server like Hyper-V Server 2016 or Windows Server 2016 Semi-Annual Channel, then this is actually a necessity as you won't have access to the usual GUI.

Leave a comment:

• langenet
    replied
    Originally posted by Fellhahn View Post
    I'm running HS3 on a Windows Server 2016 VM, which is hosted on Microsoft Hyper-V server 2016.

Using the sconfig.exe utility called from an administrative command prompt, windows update can be set to manual only. I perform a manual patching cycle of all my VMs every few months at a time when it doesn't cause problems.

The hypervisor (Hyper-V server 2016) is free to use from Microsoft. Windows Server 2016 typically requires licensing unless you work in an area of IT that gives you access to evaluation or volume licensing. I suspect that a larger than normal proportion of HS users fall into this category. You can also sometimes acquire free or low cost licenses for learning/development if you have a .edu email address, or through some of the partner programs. Microsoft Action Pack and DreamSpark were some examples but I'm unsure of their current status.
    Just wondering... why not just leave the updates running since no action to install them is taken unless you say so. I run Win2k16 and in my opinion, this is a super stable OS for HS3. I usually ghost the system each month but have left my system up for more than 2months without issue. At this point, I proceed with the updates. Curious, what's the command in sconfig to set them manual?

Robert

Leave a comment:

• Pete
    replied
    If I were to consider the entire range, what is the most stable platform I could run on, even if it is an embedded solution?

Wife proof? Loaded question.

Here computers have been around since early 1980's and have always been a hobby.

Homeseer 1 and 2 ran on WIndows computers. Started running Homeseer 3 on Windows and then switched over to Linux.

All laptops here are now running Ubuntu 18.10 desktop and WIndows 10 (insider versions) and all browsers are Firefox (no Chrome and no Edge).

Wife's new Skylake laptop originally only had Ubuntu 18.04 on it. She only checked her email and browsed with Firefox. Recently split the laptop to both Windows 10 and Linux.

She prefers to utilize Windows 10. With original WIndows 10 configurations here I was able to thin them out to be mostly just functional except that all of the fluff would automagically return. Recent use of Revo Uninstaller Pro noticed I could remove much of the Windows 10 fluff. Works so far.

Personally and today Windows 10 is not an optimal OS to run Homeseer on even tweaked it is a desktop operating system tuned to the user. Historically running Homeseer here started with Windows desktop (whatever flavor) then went over to Windows 2003 Standard and tested it to work fine on Windows embedded (all flavors).

Recently installed Windows 2016 standard server and personally it is much lighter and functional than Windows 10 for use with Homeseer. Embedded Windows 8E is the current embedded version of Windows and that works too. I understand that Windows 2016 is a bit cost prohibitive such that I would entertain Windows 8 embedded for running your Homeseer software. Homeseer is now upgraded it's all in one solution to running in WIndows 8 embedded.

Many folks here on the forum are using multiple VM's now on one box with multiple cores and much memory such that they run a VM of Homeseer, CCTV, NAS, et al.

With Linux you can run Homeseer on a $35 Raspberry Pi. Homeseer today doesn't need a desktop to run which is nice.

Last edited by Pete; October 24th, 2018, 05:11 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Fellhahn
    replied
    I'm running HS3 on a Windows Server 2016 VM, which is hosted on Microsoft Hyper-V server 2016.

Using the sconfig.exe utility called from an administrative command prompt, windows update can be set to manual only. I perform a manual patching cycle of all my VMs every few months at a time when it doesn't cause problems.

The hypervisor (Hyper-V server 2016) is free to use from Microsoft. Windows Server 2016 typically requires licensing unless you work in an area of IT that gives you access to evaluation or volume licensing. I suspect that a larger than normal proportion of HS users fall into this category. You can also sometimes acquire free or low cost licenses for learning/development if you have a .edu email address, or through some of the partner programs. Microsoft Action Pack and DreamSpark were some examples but I'm unsure of their current status.

Leave a comment:

• sickpuppy
    replied
    "The only winning move is not to play... er install HS" The septagenerians on this board have already drawn up flow diagrams and schematics detailing their entire system and worst case fail scenarios and how to uninstall everything to get back to non HA status should they kick the bucket and their kids/spouse need to keep the house going.

Leave a comment:

• The Profit
    replied
    Originally posted by mikepetro View Post
    I am currently running HS3Pro on a beefy Win10 box.

The problem comes in with Windows updates etc, and other Windows related issues, breaking the the OS core functionality, seldom HS3 itself.

If I were to consider the entire range, what is the most stable platform I could run on, even if it is an embedded solution?
    A Win10 computer will work fine but you will have to turn off all Windows updates which is not easy. One of my co workers figured it out and has been running HS3 without issue for several months.
    The other option would be Win10 embedded machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• larhedse
    replied
    Well I have to agree with drhtmal on this... With one minor detail: If you chooses say a Linux deployment (it may well work just as well on Windows - I just have not tested it) and completely disconnects it from internet - then no updates can be applied, since none can be downloaded and you can not access the box - so anything put on the box will run rather unattended and well, not much can happen. No it might not be the most user friendly solution.....

Leave a comment:

• drhtmal
    replied
    The real answer is that no HS platform is "wife proof." Period.

Leave a comment:

• mikepetro
    started a topic What is the most stable and wife-proof platfor for HS?

What is the most stable and wife-proof platfor for HS?

I am currently running HS3Pro on a beefy Win10 box.

The problem comes in with Windows updates etc, and other Windows related issues, breaking the the OS core functionality, seldom HS3 itself.

Working...
X