HS3 Maximum Number of Devices?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HS3 Maximum Number of Devices?

I just now tried to add a couple of new virtual devices to HS3 (HomeTroller SEL PRO). The first added fine, but the second won't.

I notice that my total HS3 device count has hit 256 (a suspicious number). I know that there is a limit on the number of Z-wave devices you can have in a network, but is there also a limit on the total number of devices (all kinds) that HS3 will support? If so, what is the limit?

If there is a limit, you are nowhere near it. I have nearly 2000 and there are others with more than that. I've noticed that sometimes when adding a virtual device, HS closes the window for it automatically and then you can find it under Unknown/Unknown floor/room location.
    HS 3.0.0.548: 1990 Devices 1172 Events
    Z-Wave 3.0.1.262: 126 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

HS3 Total device limit is 10,000 and then HS3 starts rolling over re-using unused device reference numbers if available.

Comment

Thank you sparkman and Simplex Technology for your assistance. I'm pretty sure I now know what happened.

Whenever I click the Add Device button on the Device List page, I expect to go immediately to the Add Device window. When I tried that this morning, the Device List blanked very briefly, then redisplayed itself. As far as I could tell, nothing had happened.

Later today, when I again added a new device, I noticed that its default name was New Device. On a hunch, I went back to the Device List page and discovered that I had lots of New Devices!

Lately I've been experiencing intermittent failure of my web page accessing computer's mouse. Sometimes it thinks I've done a double click when I have actually done a single click. Bouncing switch contacts, I guess.

So, on another hunch, I tried to add a new device with a double click on the Add Device button. And voila! Same symptoms, exactly. The new device got created, but I never got sent to the Add Device page.

Problem solved, and thanks again.

Comment

As Simplex Tech stated, it starts over filling in unused / deleted devices. I think the total is actually 9,999. I'm over half way there with 5,092 devices total. And yes, sometimes new virtual devices have to be hunted down by looking new/unknown devices. Grab Jon00's device list script from his site. It makes finding phantom virtual devices easy.
          My home is smarter than your honor roll student.

Comment

Originally posted by ericg View Post
            Thank you sparkman and Simplex Technology for your assistance. I'm pretty sure I now know what happened.The new device got created, but I never got sent to the Add Device page.
            This has been a long-standing bug (years). It's a puzzle to me that it has not been addressed, especially since it comes as a complete surprise to baffle new users - just the people HST should be trying to attract.

Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
            HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF, Rain8Net+ | RFXCOM | QSE100D | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | X10: XTB-232, -IIR | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
              This has been a long-standing bug (years). It's a puzzle to me that it has not been addressed, especially since it comes as a complete surprise to baffle new users - just the people HST should be trying to attract.
              +1
              HS3Pro Running on a Raspberry Pi3
              64 Z-Wave Nodes, 168 Events, 280 Devices
              UPB modules via OMNI plugin/panel
              Plugins: Z-Wave, BLRF, OMNI, HSTouch, weatherXML, EasyTrigger
              HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 Joggler

Comment

I only have ~550 devices which is nowhere near the numbers mention in these posts. I also have 4 zwave interfaces that devices are unevenly spread across with 56 real devices being the max on one interface. That interface has most of my original Jasco light switches on it (these older switches may just be slower too). Due to horrible cell phone service where I live geofencing events often don't trigger well...and often get delayed. I also have events that turn on all the lights in the house for 10 minutes if suspicious motion is detected outside when the system knows I'm away. When my geofence fails to tell HS I arrived outside and I step onto the front porch it triggers the all lights on event. Another set of events get triggered when I open the front door which involve locks, lights, thermostats, etc. Random things seem to fail when all this is going on and my assumption is the network just gets too busy since my PC is quite a workhorse.

I get Ethernet collisions from the old half-duplex days and currently my assumption is that zwave is very my like UDP in the IP world with no acknowledgements that something was actually delivered and pretty certain there are never re-transmissions if something fails...though I've never read these RFC's.

Before I start moving things to new or less loaded interfaces...will this even help?

Thanks!

Tom

Current Date/Time: 12/16/2019 10:38:23 AM
                HomeSeer Version: HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.548
                Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro - Work Station
                System Uptime: 1 Day 16 Hours 39 Minutes 30 Seconds
                I
                Number of Devices: 562
                Number of Events: 200
                Available Threads: 800
                HSTouch Enabled: True
                Event Threads: 4
                Event Trigger Eval Queue: 0
                Event Trigger Priority Eval Queue: 0
                Device Exec Queue: 0
                HSTouch Event Queue: 0
                Email Send Queue: 0

In Virtual Machine: No MFG: gigabyte technology co., ltd.
                Enabled Plug-Ins
                2.0.61.0: BLBackup
                3.0.30.0: BLLock
                2.0.6.0: BLMarantz
                3.0.0.70: EasyTrigger
                3.9.610.5: HSBuddy
                3.1.0.17: MeiHarmonyHub
                3.0.0.34: Nest
                3.0.0.63: PHLocation2
                1.0.0.7: Restart
                3.0.11.13: weatherXML
                3.0.1.262: Z-Wave

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
                  +1 but I have a feeling HST generally gets attracted like a bug to a light to the next great project and forgets all about fixing things that should be completed.
                  Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

I have noticed that when I add a new device, the first thing I do is click on "Show all devices" because I might have been filtering on something I was working on.
                    I hope this helps someone.
                    A computer's attention span is as long
                    as it's powercord.

Comment

The default locations for new new Devices are "Unknown" and "Unknown". When you create one it will end up as "New Device" with those two locations. The system will usually open up a configuration page, the bug is that sometimes it doesn't. When it doesn't pop up a configuration page make sure "Unknown" is selected in the filters for both Location 1 and Location 2 and you will see your new device.

Click image for larger version

Name:	capture.png
Views:	111
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	1347077
                      Randy Prade
                      Aurora, CO
                      Prades.net

PHLocation - Pushover - EasyTrigger - UltraECM3 - Ultra1Wire3 - Arduino

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
                        The default locations for new new Devices are "Unknown" and "Unknown". When you create one it will end up as "New Device" with those two locations. The system will usually open up a configuration page, the bug is that sometimes it doesn't.
                        Just to add to this thread - I've never ended up at a configuration page when doing an include. I go back to the Devices screen myself and,do an unselect all and then select either Z-Wave or Not Set categories.

Comment

Originally posted by Tillsy View Post

Just to add to this thread - I've never ended up at a configuration page when doing an include. I go back to the Devices screen myself and,do an unselect all and then select either Z-Wave or Not Set categories.
                          While what you are saying is correct for including a Z-Wave device, we are talking about adding a Virtual Device, which will always be “Unknown” for both locations by default. It WILL sometimes open the Configuration page when you start the addition.

Randy Prade
                          Aurora, CO
                          Prades.net

PHLocation - Pushover - EasyTrigger - UltraECM3 - Ultra1Wire3 - Arduino

Comment

Sorry guys...thought this would be the right thread for my q...will post a new one...THANKS!

Comment

Working...
                            X