HS3 OR HS3PRO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HS3 OR HS3PRO

Need help deciding on which way to go and have a few questions.

I can't seem to find a good list what plugins are NOT FREE in HS3 but are FREE in PRO. I know the biggest difference I see is the HS Touch Designer.

By my math even if I did want that it's still cheaper to get the HS3 and add on the Touch designer for 199 now or later.

I have attached what plugins I'm running and I have been using the control app Imperihome for few years now with VERA and I'm currently using that plugin for Homeseer now too. So during my testing of HS touch I don't plan on using it at all now, but I don't know about the future.

I use a GE Caddx alarm not their DSC. Is there any other plugins on my list that are not either FREE or 3rd party pay? I think I have 145.00ish in 3rd party apps already.
    Attached Files

I always recommend Pro. There aren't many HST pulgins right now but that doesn't mean there wont be any in the future. They are always working on something. At some point their attention will turn to things like plugins. Also don't poo poo Designer. Once you get the hang of it you can make really fantastic screens.
    Originally posted by rprade
    There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

The list is here http://www.homeseer.com/home-control-software.html

Regards
      Morten

Comment

Originally posted by S-F View Post
        I always recommend Pro. There aren't many HST pulgins right now but that doesn't mean there wont be any in the future. They are always working on something. At some point their attention will turn to things like plugins. Also don't poo poo Designer. Once you get the hang of it you can make really fantastic screens.
        I see people do recommend PRO but I haven't seen why yet. It's a few issues for me one I'm fresh to this and don't want to invest to much to fast.

The other issue is just coming up with the extra cash alone. I need 140 plus in plugins to go on top of the software and the hardware. I don't want to rule out HS designer but for the next few month I'll be getting my feet wet on getting all my logic and everything setup and understanding HS3 to begin with.

Was kind of thinking do HS3 then 3-5 months when I'm good with everything and board I can play with HS designer AGAIN.

In the mean time I already had Imperihome running for 3 different houses all on different VERA's. I just removed them one by one and replaced them with the same devices that have now been moved over to HS3. So to my wife's eyes nothing has changed her app is the same everything.

This brings up another question. If I swap all vera's out to HS3's and I'm using HS Design app, can I connect to 3 different servers to control all servers from one app? Or is there a better way?

Originally posted by mhn View Post
        I saw that list and didn't think it was complete but there is only like 7 plugins and I use non of them.

Comment

Fair enough. I know it's a chunk of change. You can buy the designer later.

I don't think you can control multiple systems with HSTouch at the same time. You can switch servers in the setting any time though, but you would need three different projects. They could be identical. Just change the devices.

Comment

Originally posted by S-F View Post
            Fair enough. I know it's a chunk of change. You can buy the designer later.

I don't think you can control multiple systems with HSTouch at the same time. You can switch servers in the setting any time though, but you would need three different projects. They could be identical. Just change the devices.
            Damn, another plus for Imperihome

It connects to all threw veras auto switches between wifi and local (each device allows you to choose the local wifi for that device) I created a home sceen with 3 locations then a click on one takes you to the home scree for that house and off you go threw the app.

I didn't even find that HStouch can auto switch between local and remote.

Comment

Originally posted by integlikewhoa View Post
              Damn, another plus for Imperihome

I didn't even find that HStouch can auto switch between local and remote.

Yeah. It doesn't and that sucks.

Comment

No auto-switching with HS3Touch. Basically, you can tell it to ask for a server to connect to when first starting up (assuming that it's still not in memory -- at least on the iPhone). You can manually specify 4 servers.

Another way to do this, though, is to have separate Z-NETs on the same server, over WAN, in which case you'd be connecting to the same server.

Comment

Originally posted by mikedr View Post
                  No auto-switching with HS3Touch. Basically, you can tell it to ask for a server to connect to when first starting up (assuming that it's still not in memory -- at least on the iPhone). You can manually specify 4 servers.

Another way to do this, though, is to have separate Z-NETs on the same server, over WAN, in which case you'd be connecting to the same server.
                  I'm interested in, but affriad of performance impacts on a WAN server, but that will ofcourse fix my problem and save a ton of money in the process.

On that note is the HS Touch designer good for only one server? So would I need PRO version or the HS Designer at each location/server or would one purchesed HS Touch version (by PRO at one house and HS3 at the rest) would cover me for all?

Comment

HS3 OR HS3PRO?

Both

Vera is an automation controller in firmware and I would compare it to the Homeseer embedded controllers rather than the Homeseer software.

Homeseer doesn't make software today that manages multiple instances of Homeseer that I know of.

What do you define as a WAN server? I am confused?

I have historically (relating to security) used on premise controllers with WAN connections to their security software with commercial always on line WAN circuits.

It is a mickey mouse way to do this as while it works it isn't 100%. Using VPN is better and closer to 100% if you have great QOS.

Here switched my Homeseer 3 to Linux from Homeseer 2 in Windows.

Purchased Homeseer 3 Pro and Homeseer 3 Zee-2.

Moved Homeseer 3 designer to a VB which I can get to from anywhere. I can change which Homeseer 3 server I want designer to talk to. That said I can run it on two separate VMs too if I want such that each VM talks to a different Homeseer 3 server.

I only utilize Wintel embedded for my Homeseer touchscreens these days.

I would not recommend running a WAN connected Z-Net device rather I would utilize a WAN connected Zee-2 device.

That said current Homeseer windows touch works in XPe, XP, W2003, W7, W7e, W8, W10 just fine here. Note this is related to in house touchscreens or tablets.

Playing a bunch with Homeseer 3 touch I am able to run applications from within Homeseer 3 touch concurrently or separate.

IE: I can stream live TV on my Homeseer 3 touchscreen or run separate touchscreen application if I want inside of Homeseer 3 touch.

You can remote control the touchscreen from within the touchscreen application or remote the touchscreen independant of HS touch using a Homeseer 3rd party plugin.

I am currently testing 15 concurrent Homeseer touch clients here and have no issues with any of them. I am also testing one W10 client with no issues to date.

Ideally you are looking at putting the Hometroller with its hardware controller at the location you are managing.

The above mentioned you can install a Zee-2 Hometroller with whatever and just manage it remotely.

You can also set up a VPN tunnel for some granular stuff like using HSTouch designer and change HSTouch clients that talk to an on premise Hometroller.

Another example.

1 - put a Zee-2 with built in Z-Wave plus on premise with one HSTouch client.
                    2 - run HSDesigner and access the two machines on #1 remote premise via a VPN tunnel.
                    Last edited by Pete; February 17th, 2016, 02:54 PM.
                    - Pete

Auto mator
                    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.534 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU - Mono 6.00
                    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.534 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.00

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation.

Comment

Sorry I think I got lost.

I have 3 different houses (currently with vera's that I'm swapping out). Two houses run 24/7 windows servers running Blue Iris, PLEX, Unifi Controllers.

One of the houses is big and can benefit from having more then one Z-wave antenna's on site the others are fine.

I think I assumed the Zee-2 would be under powered being used at these houses and I was looking more into running mini-PC (which would mean HS3 software or pro, which is where the question can in about all needing pro or only 1)

One of the houses that doesn't have a Blueiris server has a small foot print and Zee-2 should be fine. Not many plugins needed there (ping sensor and maybe one more)

Other houses have 80-100 devices, Roomba, Blue Iris, Harmony remote, Amazon Echo, Alarm Panel, and several other plugins also. Which is my Vera Hardware was pushing the limits and creating issues.

I don't mine WAN for tablet control I just didn't want Logic (door opens light comes on) to be offsite or using WAN. That's what I meant by performance issues over WAN.

Comment

Are you looking at combining Automation, CCTV, Plex (media server), Unifi Controllers to one box?

What is the Plex server doing?

Personally here doing a combo security / automation panel (Leviton OmniPro 2) and Homeseer.

It also has UPB, X10 and Z-Wave on it plus 16+ other pieces of hardware connected to it.

The panel does UPB, Z-Wave, Zigbee and X10. I use Homeseer as an addendum to the panel at this time.

I have separate CCTV, DVR (via MythTV), zoned wired audio and Kodi (STB of choice).

Homes are wired for LAN, LV (security plus other stuff) and Audio. Wireless is an add but is not a dependency for automation. (using Ubiquti).

Using Wintel servers and Linux servers and now moving towards mostly Linux and if need be (doing this now) running Windows servers as mostly just VMs on the Linux boxes. (it is less fluff).

IE: current in house touchscreens are POE wired. Supplemental but not dependant to the automation are wireless tablets or telephones.

Newest tiny Windows minibox and tablets do streaming HD video recorded or live, CCTV and Homeseer touch and MS SAPI and Amazon Alexa stuff and are managed by the Homeseer 3 mothership.

Vera is firmware automation originally based on an OpenWRT OS and router. It utilizes an ARM CPU just a bit of a kernal, OS and play space.

I am doing similiar playing with a 2" X 2" microrouter with a bit more memory, larger kernel and flash ROM that I paid $20 for.

You can only get so much out of current base hardware design of the Vera; it is too little now for what they are doing with it; that is why it is slow.

Look at the comparison here to Vera hardware especially the Vera Plus.

Then look at the hardware specifications to the RPi2 here.

The ARM based Zee-2 while the Homeseer 3 software is limited to 5 plugins; you can run HS3 standard or pro on it but it is pushing it.

It really depends on what it is you want to do with it.

You can now purchase a quad core based Intel mini pc the size of a paperback that will do much more processing if you want to do a small footprint automation server using little power.
                        Last edited by Pete; February 17th, 2016, 03:34 PM.
                        - Pete

Auto mator
                        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.534 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU - Mono 6.00
                        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.534 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.00

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation.

Comment

Yes I'm currently running (at one house already) and planning on using one server for HS3, BlueIris, PLEX and Unifi.

PLEX is for Movies.

Comment

I agree, pro is not worth it.
                            Hs3 or even pi are enough.
                            He designer from what I've seen so far isn't as good as imperihome.

I can see why designer may be good but not worth the money in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                            X