Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Public Static IP Works - By DNS Name it Doesn't -IOS

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Public Static IP Works - By DNS Name it Doesn't -IOS

    Hi, Cool new app! I like it.

    IOS/iphone

    I am having one issue, I can connect to my HS3 server using the public static IP, but if i use the DNS public name it immediately gives me an error connecting like its not using DNS. my other apps and the HS3Touch are still working by the same public DNS name.

    The error:
    unexpected Error, Please try again. An unexpected network error has occurred.

    I did add :8080 to the end of the DNS name just like I do for the IP address. Which didn't follow the online help page. My port number is one i set, not everything can be on port 80 outside the firewall!

  • #2
    Same here...

    Comment


    • #3
      Using https doesn't work for me. Doesn't matter if I use my LAN IP, public static IP, or my DDNS name. https doesn't work. http works. MyHS works. Just not https.
      rjh mentioned that there is a problem with SSL connections, which they plan to fix in the next update:

      https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...90#post1282790

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Guitarman View Post
        Hi, Cool new app! I like it.

        IOS/iphone

        I am having one issue, I can connect to my HS3 server using the public static IP, but if i use the DNS public name it immediately gives me an error connecting like its not using DNS. my other apps and the HS3Touch are still working by the same public DNS name.

        The error:
        unexpected Error, Please try again. An unexpected network error has occurred.

        I did add :8080 to the end of the DNS name just like I do for the IP address. Which didn't follow the online help page. My port number is one i set, not everything can be on port 80 outside the firewall!
        Did you enable the option in the HomeSeer settings "Labs" == Enable SSL Secure Server?




        Eman
        The Closer.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Eman View Post

          Did you enable the option in the HomeSeer settings "Labs" == Enable SSL Secure Server?




          Eman
          He's not trying to connect via SSL, he's trying to connect via DNS name. The Mobile app does not honor the naming convention (expects only an IP address). This is NOT a minor issue, as anyone with a dynamic IP address can fail to connect whenever the IP address changes. I too, and others, are having the same issue. Seems like it shouldn't be difficult to fix, but it's been this way since the beginning. Additionally, based on user experiences I've read on this forum electing to connect to my server via MyHS is not a favorable option for me.
          Mike

          Comment


          • #6
            Not sure where to post.
            I get an unexpected network error when I try connect to locally. When I go to lte on my os on my iphone the HomeSeer mobile app works well, but when I go to my WiFi I get the error. I figured it was the windows firewall but it wasn’t because I turn it off I still get same error. Made sure home network wasn’t public and it wasn’t. Any ideas?


            Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

            Comment


            • #7
              I did get the same error, it was my firewall, after looking in bitdefender it was blocking the apps, after allowing it everything work.

              Comment


              • #8
                Just using windows 10’s firewall, turned it off didn’t make any difference.


                Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                Comment


                • #9
                  I have connected via DNS name to my static ip for years via port 443 on HS3Touch. HomeSeer mobile doesn’t work directly. I can only connect via myHomeSeer.

                  Cheers

                  J

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Here switched over to using a VPN client on any device outside of the home lan. That and have used no-ip dot com now for over 10 years. The VPN connection uses the DNS name for connectivity. Works perfect.

                    The VPN tunnel allows for HSTouch, HS3 GUI access, Windows Servers and Ubuntu servers here.

                    No need to configure any open ports on the firewall if using VPN.

                    It is much easier to configure VPN clients on any (ios, Android or Windows or Ubuntu) remote mobile or tablet or PC these days.

                    Also have tested one of my tabletop HS3 touchscreens configured with VPN talking via the Mobile WiFi sharing and it has worked just fine.
                    - Pete

                    Auto mator
                    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.534 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU - Mono 6.00
                    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.534 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.00

                    X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I have the same issue the help desk is very nice but keeps on insisting that it’s a fire wall issue on my server I have explained to him that if that were the case I would not be able to login using an IP address. How ever he can login to my account using android app so my conclusion is that it’s an issue with iOS and dns look up not resolving the IP address.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by phillb View Post
                        I have the same issue the help desk is very nice but keeps on insisting that it’s a fire wall issue on my server I have explained to him that if that were the case I would not be able to login using an IP address. How ever he can login to my account using android app so my conclusion is that it’s an issue with iOS and dns look up not resolving the IP address.
                        It resolves fine with HS3Touch for me but the same dns address does not with this new app. Have you tried using HS3Touch?

                        Cheers

                        J

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Yes I have no issues with touch..... apart from the fact it’s unusable without customisations thand it costs a fortune to buy the editor even though I bout it for hs2 ! But at least the dns name resolved ok

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by phillb View Post
                            Yes I have no issues with touch..... apart from the fact it’s unusable without customisations thand it costs a fortune to buy the editor even though I bout it for hs2 ! But at least the dns name resolved ok
                            I made my HS3Touch screens years ago. Got nice icons and everything. However, it was that long ago we have had 2 or 3 iPhone screen size changes or additions since. EVERY time I’ve had to rearrange and resize everything, and takes almost as long as hstouch takes to load 😏.
                            I thought this new app was a godsend, until It was rendered useless by the last update. I’ve got nearly 1000 devices so you can imagine I’m hacked off that I’ve potentially lost days of work. I hope the next update comes soon, and I haven’t lost the lot.

                            Cheers

                            J

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Having same problem here. Can confirm it is only with host name. Works great on android, just not IOS. If I put in IP, it is fine so it is something with DNS resolution.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X