New Product Not Working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Product Not Working

I ordered a new HomeSeer HomeTroller-SEL PRO Smart Home Hub and received it yesterday. Plugged it in and followed the directions - went to find.homeseer.com but there was no search button - also the HomeSeer was not showing up on my router. Swapped out the cable and switched to a different port on my router with no change.

Sent a message to support at this point but not wanting to wait for a response I tried some stuff on my own.

Next I hooked it up to a monitor and plugged in a keyboard - it booted to a screen that said something about Map not found - and a prompt -- knowing what I was looking at I typed in Exit (and repeated a few times) until I got to the bios settings. Tried setting back to defaults and rebooting - this brought me up with an ever repeating error list (Linux based) -- Got back into the bios and tried setting to the saved settings on the list -- this time when it rebooted it told me something about HD0 not found and brought me through a hole bunch of errors again.

Received a message back a few hours later (10 PM Mountain Time) asking if I had my CAT 5 cable plugged in. I replied that I did and with the details above... Still waiting for a response back at this point.

I work the same hours as tech support so I can't call them (ever) -- I'm looking for any assistance on getting this resolved... Or wondering if I should just return it.

Here is another person asking something similar - there error is the same as mine, but nobody responded to it: https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...el-not-booting

Comment

You will want to put in a support ticket on this issue at support@homeseer.com
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Support got back to me and suggested I open the case and make sure the hard drive cables are secure.

After cracking the case (those are some really long screws) the cables appeared secure - however I disconnected and reconnected both ends just to be sure. Reconnecting the system brought up the same - Map not found - screen. Exited back to the Bios -- tried a few things and finally set the boot mode to none got me something different.

The screen came up and read something about trying to write to unavailable drive HD0 -- Letting it sit for a moment though appeared to have done something. The HomeSeer screen came up and said there was something wrong with the hard drive and I could attempt to fix it, skip mounting or go into manual recovery. I clicked F to fix it, and it's been sitting there saying it's trying to Fix it... I still have the option to Skip Mounting or go to Manual Recovery though.

I am going to pass this on to tech support, but if anyone has any ideas I am all for it.

Comment

So after going through a lot of other troubleshooting it has been determined that the hard drive that was shipped with my unit is bad. They are going to ship out a replacement SSD drive and I will give that a try... Not super happy at this point as I've spent about 8 hours of my own time trying to get things working - and I've got to wait an extra week before I will actually get to start using my device. Hopefully things go smoother from here on out.

Comment

Did you get a resolution? It sounds like the issue I am having. I purchased a new SEL a week ago - it turns on but does the device not appear on my network switch - I have an unmanaged Ethernet switch and the lights on the port the SEL is plugged into blink, but the device or any lease requests for it do not show up on my router. find.homeseer.com does not find it. The Ethernet lights on the SEL's port are red and orange - (shouldn't one flash green?). I wrote support last Wednesday but have have not heard back yet, so I thought I would try some troubleshooting over the weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Noctys View Post
              Support got back to me and suggested I open the case and make sure the hard drive cables are secure.

After cracking the case (those are some really long screws) the cables appeared secure - however I disconnected and reconnected both ends just to be sure. Reconnecting the system brought up the same - Map not found - screen. Exited back to the Bios -- tried a few things and finally set the boot mode to none got me something different.

The screen came up and read something about trying to write to unavailable drive HD0 -- Letting it sit for a moment though appeared to have done something. The HomeSeer screen came up and said there was something wrong with the hard drive and I could attempt to fix it, skip mounting or go into manual recovery. I clicked F to fix it, and it's been sitting there saying it's trying to Fix it... I still have the option to Skip Mounting or go to Manual Recovery though.

I am going to pass this on to tech support, but if anyone has any ideas I am all for it.
              I had a similar issue after a recent restore on my HT SEL PRO. Here is what support sent me...

"If you are unable to get past the screen in your second screenshot, please restart the SEL and repeatedly press the Delete key right after pressing power. This will get you into the BIOS of your system. You will then want to use the arrow keys to navigate to the Boot tab. Here, you will want to press enter on Boot Option #1, then hit enter again to confirm it without changing it. Finally, move over to the Exit tab and save & exit."

This worked for me....

Comment

I'm having the exact same problem. I was running a Raspberry Pi for about a year and it crashed. So I just updated to a SEL.
                I booted it up and it is not discovered on findmyhomeseeer (no search button).

Connected a keyboard and monitor. It is running, It has an IP address and it has internet connectivity. I can go in manually (locally navigating tot eh IP address) and it connects up to my Omni controller on my LAN.

But it is still not discoverable by findmyhomeseer.

The help desk was not helpful and essentially told me network troubleshooting isn't their problem.

But it is running, and on the LAN communicating locally, and has internet.

Which tells me there is something wrong with the Homeseer VPN implementation.

My Sense monitor is accessible from offsite, so I know it can VPN tunnel out properly.

What could be blocking the SEL from connecting to findmyhomeseer?

Comment

Originally posted by Desert_AIP View Post
                  I'm having the exact same problem. I was running a Raspberry Pi for about a year and it crashed. So I just updated to a SEL.
                  I booted it up and it is not discovered on findmyhomeseeer (no search button).

Connected a keyboard and monitor. It is running, It has an IP address and it has internet connectivity. I can go in manually (locally navigating tot eh IP address) and it connects up to my Omni controller on my LAN...
                  First thing to check is if the feature to register with find.homeseer.com is enabled. Go to Tools|Setup|Labs and verify that "Use find.homeseer.com to find your HomeSeer system" is checked. If it is not checked check it and wait a few minutes and check if find.homeseer.com is working.

If it is not working than additional troubleshooting can be done.

When you connect up a monitor and keyboard directly to the SEL can you log in and get to a command prompt?

Comment

Working...
                  X